Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there such a Thing as Good Debt?

beebee
edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
I would argue yes, there are occasions when debt is very helpful...maybe even good. One example would be when debt is used to help produce income.

The 4% Rule thread linked here got me thinking about debt, credit and income. Debt is formed when credit is transacted instead of cash. The longer we wait to fully settle our debt transactions, the greater the burden we place on our cash (income) due to interest charges and inflation. Reducing the time we are indebted is almost always a good thing, but as one approaches retirement, debt can serve a role in lowering income needs.

Just prior to retirement in 2010 I refinanced my debt free home. This debt allowed me to lock in my housing costs for the next 30 years. Aside from future property tax and insurance premium increases, my housing costs would remain fixed (mortgage and Interest). One could argue that being debt free from a mortgage is also zero fixed cost and I have no problem with this line of thinking. For me, I was willing to take an assets (my home) and free up capital to further my retirement plans. In 2012, after a two year search, I used some of this capital to purchase a condo in a retirement friendly state. I used additional capital to make repairs to my 30 year "old home" and my "new condo". I have some remaining cash that is equal to 1 year of retirement income. My original "old home" will be rented for an amount that is greater than the mortgage, insurance, taxes, and maintenance costs for both properties. I kinda had to get myself further into debt to get myself further out of debt by creating an income stream that didn't exist (rental property income)

Managing property isn't for everyone and in a sense isn't really what I would call retirement. For me its a new stage in my life that has moved the needle away from full time employment towards part time enjoyment. Becoming debt free sometimes requires servicing additional debt that helps to produces additional income.

Are there any other good debt stories out there?

Comments

• I think the anti-debt people often over sensationalize all debt. I do happen to think debt can be an effective tool, but it comes with risk obviously.

Household debt for depreciating assets like cars, furniture, etc is to be avoided for obvious reasons.

Debt/leverage for income producing streams can in fact a great way to build wealth on a personal or private level. Just like anything, it needs to be managed and reasonable in its aggressiveness, but it can be overall a good thing.

All debt brings some risk, but there is no way to take risk out of life, unless you're born into great wealth.
  • The Edelman links that are klutzily posted in the 4% thread have very nice and thorough listings of reasons behind 'good debt'.
  • edited May 2015
    Here's one of those Edelman links:

11 Great Reasons to Carry a Big, Long Mortgage

And here's the other:

Should you get a mortgage when you're retired?"

(Choose either the audio version or the transcript at that location.)

This latter link makes the point that it's possible to be "house poor", a situation where an older person may own a valuable house outright, but not be able to finance the required maintenance. His "solution" is to take out a large mortgage, out of which you both pay for the maintenance and the mortgage. He cheerfully suggests that this otherwise impoverished person take the remaining mortgage money and invest it at a rate so as to be able to pay for the whole thing. The word "magic" does not actually appear, but is certainly strongly implied.

Unless this older person has a very astute financial manager who charges next to nothing, the scenario is theoretically possible, but actually rather implausible.
  • edited May 2015
    I was taught years ago by a very bright fellow that a person's "net worth" as measured in dollars = (1) total assets (including value of home), less total liabilities (debt). End of discussion far as I'm concerned.

I suppose you could go further and talk about "comfort level", legacy/estate issues, tax ramifications, and whether or not one's assets are appreciating at a higher rate than the interest paid on the debt. All important considerations.

• beebee
    edited May 2015
    Old_Joe said:

His "solution" is to take out a large mortgage, out of which you both pay for the maintenance and the mortgage. He cheerfully suggests that this otherwise impoverished person take the remaining mortgage money and invest it at a rate so as to be able to pay for the whole thing. The word "magic" does not actually appear, but is certainly strongly implied.

Thanks for the links OJ.

Keep in mind the term and associated math regarding "debt to income ratio".

Securing a home mortgage while still working (with presumably a higher income) allows the borrower to finance a higher loan amount with respect to meeting debt to income ratios. Banks like to see the ratio no higher than 33% (debt to income). A retiree on a low fixed income in a equity rich home might not qualify for much a loan due to their debt to income ratio.
  • edited May 2015
    Its important to consider both free cash flow for the household and the nature any remaining debt payments when considering this issue. As long as the level of free household cash flow is dependable and is sufficient, I don't think that having fixed debt is necessarily a problem. In bee's instance, an income generating rental business is being financed this way. I have owned rental properties off and on for about 35 years and just sold my latest one (a vacation rental condo) last fall. Owning real property can serve as a way to diversify a portfolio. I currently own three modest homes and consider the 2nd and 3rd to be "investments". My winter home is my permanent residence and is in a tax friendly state (Florida). The 3rd property was purchased as bare land along the Oregon coast about 2 years ago (about 50 miles from my summer home). I have added a small home to the bare land parcel and and am working on finishing that project up this summer. It may be used as a short term vacation rental in the future or I may just sell it. Developing it is currently my retirement "hobby". This hobby serves as a way for me to further diversify my portfolio.