Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VBMFX and VFIIX - Since 1987 - Two smooth operators

beebee
edited May 2015 in Fund Discussions
VBMFX which is categorized as an intermediate corporate fund has an incredibly smooth 30 year chart. Will the next 30 be as smooth?

This search has lead me to also appreciate Vanguard's Mortgage Back Security fund, VFIIX. VBMFX is presently overweight MBS securities:

Article:
The Ultra-Safe Vanguard gnma Fund

Other category funds:
BGNMX
FGMNX
PRGMX
IGMWX
VFIIX

Charted over the last 30 yrs:

Comments

• bee said:

VBMFX which is categorized as an intermediate corporate fund has an incredibly smooth 30 year chart. Will the next 30 be as smooth?

/blockquote>

bee,

VBMFX isn't really a corporate fund.
    It's heaviest on Treasuries, then close to equal on corporates and mortgages

Cheers

• bee said:

Will the next 30 be as smooth?

Have no idea how smooth it will be.....but have a very good idea that it won't be as profitable...........as interest rates have fallen for 34 years, making bonds a good investment.

Have no idea what rates will do, but they certainly aren't going to fall for the next 34 years!

• Dan Fuss who was managing bonds during the 70's and 80's has mentioned the importance of laddering bonds. Not sure if this is best accomplished in a bond fund or by buying individual bonds.

Fireside chat with Dan Fuss:
    Dan Fuss with Jim Sarni
  • @bee- Not sure how you would do laddering via funds- usually that approach is done with individual bonds, if I'm not mistaken.

And that was certainly a good tactic during the 70's and 80's, because there was a pretty good relationship between bond income and inflation. Now, though, the inflation ladder (real inflation, like at the supermarket, not some imaginary government construct) is pretty steep, but the corresponding bond income ladder is missing a whole lot of rungs, and the few that are left look pretty shaky too.
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    @Old_Joe "What I've heard said by thems that know" (get ready for a dodgy reply)...

One approach might be a 'fund of funds' that hold is a series of bullet bond etfs. These bullet bond etfs would expire at their maturity date and a new "wrung" (bullet bond etf) is added. I suppose one could do this individually and not pay an additional layer of management fees.

Here a link to Guggenheim BulletShares 2016 Corporate Bond etf BSCG
    guggenheiminvestments.com/products/etf/bscg
  • Hi bee- yes, I'm aware that it's possible to at least emulate a bond ladder using such funds, but I've not really read a whole lot with respect to their results over time.