Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wall Street Week Resurrection.

Comments

• OK, LOU Holland. I must have mis-heard.
  • Crash said:

OK, LOU Holland. I must have mis-heard.

Crash, this thread is so long haven't read it all. But Michael Holland was also a panelist and in fact probably the most frequent of them all along with maybe Carter Randall.

• edited April 2015
    Yes, Lou Holland was the fellow that I was remembering. Always thought that he was a straight-shooter also.

Edit- OK, now I'm uncertain as to whether it was Micheal or Lou. But Holland, for sure.
  • :)
    And Marty Zweig from the old panel could be announcing that the Resurrection from the Dead was actually true and happening RIGHT NOW, and still look and sound like he was breaking BAD news to the world. Made me smile.
  • edited April 2015
    I would wager no one on this forum was as addicted to Wall Street Week as much as me. From its inception I NEVER missed an episode. What I learned most was no one has a clue to market direction. In fact, the market more often than not moved in the opposite direction when there was a consensus among panelists. That knowledge of no one having a clue lead me to so my own thinking and development of my own strategies for trading. When you finally realize the so-called professionals have no more of a clue than you, it will set you off on your own journey to a secure and profitable retirement.

Edit And not merely because of his famous "crash" call the Friday before that Monday, but Marty Zweig was by far my favorite. His book Winning On Wall Street is a classic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @MFO Members: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Not is this case, the new show will never replace Uncle Lou.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MFO Members: Lou Holland, manager the growth fund named after him 04/30/1996 - 02/24/2008
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.cstv.com/printable/schools/wis/genrel/082711aaa.html
  • edited April 2015
    @crash:

California's Big Sur (Pacific coast)

A bit north of SF I think. Can't watch that film without going on line and checking-out airline tickets. A trek from Michigan - but going to make it some day.

The Sandpiper's dumb if you only like plot. I like Liz and the coastal shots. Has a lot of great one-liners about the meaning of life, learning, devotion etc. delivered to perfection by Liz and Burton.

Thanks for asking.

PS: The other gal in the trailer is Eva Marie Saint, better known for her lead role in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest."
  • California's Big Sur (Pacific coast)... A bit north of SF I think.

Actually, to the south of Monterey, which is itself south of SF. Very nice country.
  • Free association. Just popped into my head. "The novel's overall theme is the struggle of the human mind's perceptions and beliefs versus reality."
    Uncle Richard Brautigan fought an uphill battle his whole life, too. Sad ending.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederate_General_from_Big_Sur
  • And Eva Marie Saint was very pleasurable to look at, too. A great role in "North By Northwest." Even though I'm not a Hitchcock fan.
  • @ Junkster (& others):

It was Eddie Brown. Still around. "Brown Capital Management"

Pretty impressive guy from nowhere/nothing...
  • edited April 2015
    @icyone- That's him. Good work!

Eddie Brown: Chairman, CEO and Founder, Brown Capital Management
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the geography lesson OJ. A bit surprising. Guess that's why someone recommended we fly into Oakland airport.

Regards
  • icyone said:

@ Junkster (& others):

It was Eddie Brown. Still around. "Brown Capital Management"

Pretty impressive guy from nowhere/nothing...

As Old_Joe said "good work". I remember him well now that you have jogged my aging memory.
  • Yes, thanks.
  • Eddie Brown from Baltimore was frequently on; Mike Holland ran a balanced fund. Both guys named their firms after themselves. BCISX is run by Eddie Brown's firm that employs a large number of African Americans. I don't know anything about Holland's fund.
  • Lest we forget Robert ( Bob) Stovall also a poplar guest !
  • edited April 2015
    Anyone mention Marty Zweig yet?

Loved his opening line almost every time. When asked by Lou what he thought about the markets, he'd dead-pan in monotone, "I'm nervous Lou. Really nervous."

• Yeah- Marty Zweig and Frank Cappiello made a great pair.
  • I thought Gail Dudak was pleasant to look at. Eternal bear, though.
  • Talk about an aging mind! When I said the two most frequent panelists were Michael Holland and Carter Randall was I confused. I meant Frank Cappiello not Michael Holland. At least Mr. Cappielo wasn't as bland as Mr Randall - the eternal bull. Then again, the surest way to riches in the market is to be an eternal bull.
  • edited April 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2015
    Maurice: Thanks. You've done a beautiful (and very thorough) job critiquing the program. Right-on with your observations. I'm not familiar with Gundlach as you are - except from some occasional links to his writings here. I have a different and better impression now.

Everybody commented on the flashing lights. Ya know - on our last visit to NY in January our hotel put us on on a different side than we are used to, directly overlooking the flashing lights of Times Square. Bright in our rather large window, we complained and tried to get a room change. But none on the other side of the hotel were available. Know what? After looking at those lights for several nights, we got used to them and were no longer bothered. (They also seemed to dim-down or turn-off many late at night). I think that's why I barely noticed them in the program's background as so many others did. Obviously - they're very out of place on a financial show.
  • I haven't seen Lou in many years, but I do remember his show back then. He was pretty darn entertaining, I must say.
  • Noticed that they changed it up a bit this week, darker behind them with smoked glass and new panelists, change in basic format. I imagine we will see lots of changes as they move forward trying to find a format that people like more than last week's. Not impressed with Scaramucci, they should turn over hosting reins to Gary. Lou was a tough act to follow, we all liked his hosting and format, hope it comes around.
  • I haven't seen Lou in many years, but I do remember his show back then. He was pretty darn entertaining, I must say.

I hope not because you would be like that character in the Bruce Willis movie whose most famous line was " I see dead people"

• It does seem like they are paying attention to the viewers comments. I wish they would go all the way and set up the living room or office setup and let everyone sit instead of being up on a news counter. It had a more professional feel to it. The new show reminds me of ESPN sometimes.