Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wall Street Week Resurrection.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice, if you have a Apple device, you set it up in the Podcasts app for auto download. I'm sure other programs do the same. I would always forget if I didn't do this.
  • Merci, Maurice, for tracking down the info on the sponsors of Lou's show. Alan Abelson had much the same skeptical and irreverent approach to the big machers on Wall Street.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • re Gail Dudack- Mona remembered that Mr. Rukeyser announced the firing of the veteran panelist Gail Dudak for her "156 consecutive weeks of bearishly errant forecasting".

It finally came back- remember the scorecard for the "elves"? If I remember correctly, the panelists were presented as being from either the "Fundamental Analysis" or "Technical Analysis" camps, and Gail was the "chief elf" representing the "Technical Analysis side of things. If it was in fact 156 consecutive weeks, that's over three years of incorrect Technical Indicator forecasting! Lou must have been a mighty patient fellow.

• Not at the ranch this weekend, eh?

@Catch22- Hi there- nope, we're just past the halfway mark on the SF house restoration, and have been unable to get away for the past few weeks. "Ranch"? I guess you can call it that, if you count the gophers, squirrels, and racoons as "stock".
  • edited April 2015
    Great memory Mona. I never forgave him for firing Gail. Actually, as I recall, she was eventually proven right - just was a few years early. You could feel the "ice" (on air) in the shows leading up to this as Gail became more and more out of sync with the predominately bullish sentiment among the other regulars.

A note: The show was taped live about 30 minutes before air time. Usually, they went with that taping. If however, Lou was unhappy with something, than they did it again live on air.
  • edited April 2015
    For those that would like to view the April 19th program ...

Here is the youtube link ...

Old_Skeet
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the link Ol Skeet.

Lacking Lou's wit & charm, and hated the commercial breaks. But several very knowledgeable panelists and a lot of investment ideas to chew on. Thanks again.
  • One thing I found annoying was the backdrop, Times Square at its most garrish, with commercials flashing behind their heads when they were talking. I will give it more time, but it appeared to me just another CNBC clone program. I miss the class of Lou's program.
  • I have to agree with @slick. The backdrop was annoying and a distraction. Maybe a modern version of Lou's set would be better.

Also, Anthony Scaramucci needs to quit acting like a orchestra conductor when he speaks. I know that's the new way speakers are being taught these days but the arm movement is almost as annoying as the Times Square billboards.

Not a bad show despite my previous comments. Since it's not PBS, the commercials break the show up. If he continues to have guests like he had in the opener, it might be a good show going forward.
  • edited April 2015
    In a minority here ... but I love visiting Times Square when we're in NYC. Wouldn't want to live 24/7 under all those flashing lights, but very much enjoy mulling around there. Not the lights, but the masses of humanity that make it interesting. Generally enjoy our visits to NYC and looking forward to getting out there this summer.

I hadn't noticed the WSW backdrop. Guess Lou would feel the same way as Slim and John about it. ... Why? Oh why?

• The commercials just STARTED, with no warning. Boom. Interruption. Sucks. Liz Ann still looks hot. Over the next 6-12 months, Gundlach says "buy gold." Eh? The picture of late Uncle Lou looks Warhol-esque. Kind of off-putting. But I'm glad I watched. Thanks for the link, Old Skeet.
  • edited April 2015
    @Crash Re: Gundlach says "buy gold." Eh?

That response was very garbled on my IPad. Played it over 5 or 6 times, and believe he said "buy." ... But than again, he could have said "sell." However, had he said that I think the moderator would have dug deeper - which he didn't.

Liz Hot? I guess. More importantly, she has a brain.

Re Lou's photo ... blatant exploitation of Uncle Lou's likeness and reputation. (As most know, Lou ran a lucrative newsletter business on the side.) Where's the money here? Gotta believe someone's being paid for the rights to Lou's reputation and persona - and perhaps for the "Wall Street Week" program title as well. In fact, when CNBC took over the program from PBS, they had to drop the WSW title and rename the show something else.

• Yes, I had to listen at that spot a few times, too. I believe his words, in response to a specific 6-12 month time-frame sort of question, was indeed, "buy gold." (Then, 12 months later...? SELL the gold?)
  • I had trouble with that part too. Some of the others spoke over Gundlach. The last guy I thought agreed with Gundlach's choice though I couldn't hear him either. Their audio seemed weak.
  • msf
    edited April 2015
    I agree with those who hated the background - it was disturbing and distracting. Also, what's Time Square got to do with Wall Street (or does Disney own Wall Street, too?)

Another set change is that the place is now laid out like an ESPN half-time set, with everyone facing the camera, rather than people being seated around a table where they could have a face-to-face discussion.

Then there were Fox's "whoosh" graphics. And the use of MICR font looked way dated.

Did anyone else notice that the whole program was a paid advertising infomercial? At the end of the show there was a graphic that said the program was paid programming, paid for by Skybridge Capital.

Regarding the post-Lou WSW, I believe they said WSW had been on PBS for 32 years. The correct number is 35; the last three were WSW with Fortune. If they want to claim the mantle of WSW, then they get the whole kit and kaboodle, no cherry picking. They're calling the show WSW, and that show ran 35 years. If they want to claim to be associated only with Lou, they can call it WSW with Louis Rukyeser (deceased).

On the plus side, the panelists were very good, and the content in general was better than most stuff these days.
  • edited April 2015
    This is from Jan. but Gundlach explains why gold is a good bet now.

http://goldsilver.com/video/jeffrey-gundlach-a-world-incrementally-favorable-for-gold/

That font belongs in a museum. What might have looked cool would be to show WSW in the old font and then transition to a modern font. But, I'm not a television producer.

From the comments here so far, it sounds like a 50/50 like or dislike.
  • The maniacal host with his flailing arms was a bigger distraction to me than the background, which was also annoying, just less so. Otherwise it was okay, but nothing like Uncle Lou's show.

Liz is HOT, and gets hotter as time goes on. But of course, she's still young. She graduated from college in 1986, meaning she was born around 1964, making her 51-ish this year.
  • You guys are totally disgusting, with your "Liz is HOT, and gets hotter as time goes on."

(Damned right she is!!)
  • edited April 2015
    ;)
    Leroy said:

The maniacal host with his flailing arms was a bigger distraction to me than the background, which was also annoying, just less so. Otherwise it was okay, but nothing like Uncle Lou's show.

Liz is HOT, and gets hotter as time goes on. But of course, she's still young. She graduated from college in 1986, meaning she was born around 1964, making her 51-ish this year.

Just like Emmylou.
    http://www.emmylouharris.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/gallery/emmylou-harris/emmylou-harris-05.jpg
  • She was born in 1965 which makes her 50 years young.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm3078325/bio
  • edited April 2015
    Hi Guys,

What I find attractive about Liz is that she talks in common every day English and not above here audience. However, even Liz at times seems to put spin in her comments. Let’s face it she works for a retail broker and she is going to put spin on her comments from time-to-time to lead investors in the direction that her firm desires investors to move. They make money by having investors invested and not by sitting in cash. In addition, they have been developing their trading platform to make it more attractive for the traders.

But, let’s face it Liz is a big draw for her firm in more ways than just her brain. She used to broadcast the rule of 20 a good bit. But, now since stocks in general are selling above the rule of 20 you don’t here her reference this too much any more. For those that would like to know what the rule of 20 is I have provided a link below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-05-01/rule-of-20-is-the-stock-market-fairly-valued

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/PE-Ratios-and-Market-Valuation.php

Indeed she is a looker … but, don’t get sucked in by this pitch woman.

Old_Skeet
  • Crash said:

;)

Leroy said:

The maniacal host with his flailing arms was a bigger distraction to me than the background, which was also annoying, just less so. Otherwise it was okay, but nothing like Uncle Lou's show.

Just like Emmylou.
    http://www.emmylouharris.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/gallery/emmylou-harris/emmylou-harris-05.jpg
    Yes, Emmy Lou is another favorite of mine. Got a great voice too!

Liz Ann: Aside from her attractiveness, when she does her Schwab webcasts she talks in very general terms, enough so that no matter what happens she probably can't be outright WRONG. And it gets boring after a few minutes.

Like every other forecaster, including weather, they should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, IMO.

• I don't really care if she's hot - as long as she can make me money. The hot women I've known have invariably cost me plenty!

But if you want a hot Liz ... here's my pick. Also a favorite (but much maligned) film and a georgeous piece of real estate I've yet to see - but am anxious to visit.

• Does anyone recall the black advisor that was often a guest of Lou?? I seem to recall "Brown" but not sure. I remember that I was impressed by this guy at one point when I was thinking about an "advisor", but was not exactly in that "wealth range" beyond an IRA & a few funds. Actually -- also in part because I had the impression that he might be located down the road a bit from me: not really "lilly white" by edict, but pretty much "just that way" by tradition & not attracting developers, & then quietly beginning to attract individuals/all comers who could afford some land & a builder. (Today we have some quite interesting neighbors, but only if you look for them.)

Was Lou originally a "Baltimore original"?? I seem to recall that there was a shift to CT, which was the beginning of the end, but don't recall exactly what precipitated it.

• hank said:

I don't really care if she's hot - as long as she can make me money. The hot women I've known have invariably cost me plenty!

But if you want a hot Liz ... here's my pick. Also a favorite (but much maligned) film and a georgeous piece of real estate I've yet to see - but am anxious to visit.

Where is that location you say you'd love to go and see? Central Calif. coast? Before I watched the trailer, I was thinking the clip might be "Night of the Iguana." But Liz Taylor was not in that one.
  • @icyone- Yes, he was another fellow that I particularly liked. I believe that he was a principal or highly placed with the Tweedy Brown investment company. Another favorite was perpetually mournful Frank Cappiello, who tended to take a dim view of the whole economic scene, and who was usually right in doing so.
  • edited April 2015
    Yes, that black fellow is in one or both of the links provided by Ted to the old shows with Lou. Named Bill Holland? Near the very end of the clip, Lou calls him by name. Is that the fellow you were thinking of?
  • icyone said:

Does anyone recall the black advisor that was often a guest of Lou?? I seem to recall "Brown" but not sure. I remember that I was impressed by this guy at one point when I was thinking about an "advisor", but was not exactly in that "wealth range" beyond an IRA & a few funds. Actually -- also in part because I had the impression that he might be located down the road a bit from me: not really "lilly white" by edict, but pretty much "just that way" by tradition & not attracting developers, & then quietly beginning to attract individuals/all comers who could afford some land & a builder. (Today we have some quite interesting neighbors, but only if you look for them.)

Was Lou originally a "Baltimore original"?? I seem to recall that there was a shift to CT, which was the beginning of the end, but don't recall exactly what precipitated it.

African American Lou Holland was an occasional panelist. There was also the famous Afro-American money manager out of Chicago John Rogers of the Ariel funds that was a sometimes guest. I believe he played sports (basketball) at some Ivy League school.