Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging Market fund flows

Does anyone have data on recent EM flows? Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2015
    @Paul
    In addition, etf flows may be checked here. EEM and VWO would be good starting points, eh?
    Click into the begin/end dates boxes to select your date range, after entering ticker symbols.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Awesome! thanks guys. The baron's article is what I'm looking for. However, the ETF site was super useful too. I didn't even know the flows numbers existed like that! thanks again!!
  • @Paul

To add: check this heat map for etf's.

In effect, the price movement of etf's offers a guide as to fund flows, yes?

The above link is set for 1 day performance and is close to real time pricing from my observations. ALSO, another nice feature at the left edge is that the current 1 day setting offers a dropdown list for longer time frames.

IN ADDITION: As you move/hover the cursor over the map, in the various titled sectors; you will see that sector grouping more defined. You may also double click upon a particular etf symbol to obtain a chart of that etf.

An interesting site with lots of goodies and don't forget that there are other groupings, stocks, etc. to choose from, along the left side of this page.
  • Thanks Catch for the link. As for EM goes, it is a LONG term investment that requires patience to ride out the volatility. For more conservative investors, Mr. Foster' Seafare G&I is a solid choice.
  • Federales couldn't get them any day!
    McEwen robbery highlights risks for miners in Mexico
    McEwen Mining (NYSE:MUX) fell 5.6% in today's trade after yesterday's news that 900 kg of gold-bearing concentrate containing 7K oz. of gold - ~$8.4M in potential revenue - was stolen from its refinery in Mexico's Sinaloa state.Armed robberies of significant quantities of gold are not common, but operators in northern Mexico have been targeted in the past as the region is associated with cartels and gangs.The robbery raises concerns about other companies with exposure in northern Mexico, which include AGI, AUQ, CDE, PPP and TGD; among those with operations nearby are GG, PAAS, GPL, OTCPK:FNLPF and OTCQX:SMNPF.

.McEwen Mining Reports Armed Robbery at El Gallo 1 Mine
    Tue April 7, 2015 5:04 PM
    http://seekingalpha.com/pr/13063546-mcewen-mining-reports-armed-robbery-at-el-gallo-1-mine
    From McEwen's CAUTION CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
    Risks and uncertainties that could cause results or future events to differ materially from current expectations expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements and information include, but are not limited to, existing insurance coverage and future availability of insurance, factors associated with fluctuations in the market price of precious metals, mining industry risks, political, economic, social and security risks associated with foreign operations,
  • @Paul It wasn't clear from your request: did you just want net weekly and monthly flow figures, or did you want these totals broken down into (a) outflows (smart money) and (b) inflows (dumb money)? There are few EM countries that have a tailwind behind them; most have increasing headwinds, and the winds on every continent are headed south, so to speak. Currency wars, inflation, domestic consumer market undeveloped, sharp declines in foreign demand for exports. So why now, what's the rush? Just my take.
  • @Paul: FYI, Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF (VWO) +2.02% today
    Regards,
    Ted
  • On "Fast Money" tonight, mention was made of unusual options activity on EEM.
  • @catch22, brilliant!! Like @Paul I had no idea this existed but it's fantastic functionality for a very good price! Thanks!
  • Hi @LLJB

I really like the view when moving the cursor to a grouping/sector and the whole group list is formed; and then one may point directly at one of the tiny (sm.market cap relative to the grouping) boxes to load that choice to the top of the list and also allow for the double click if one wants to view a chart, too.
    I especially enjoy the view list for whichever grouping one hovers the cursor. A nice way to see the varying actions of these etfs. A nice starting point for those interested in etfs for further investigation.
    Yep, pretty cool tool and site and the cost is right, eh?

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi @catch22, like many of us here I've gotten to an age where there aren't that many things that really surprise or shock me anymore. This one did it and I'm very grateful to you for the nice surprise!!

LLJB
  • heezsafe said:

@Paul It wasn't clear from your request: did you just want net weekly and monthly flow figures, or did you want these totals broken down into (a) outflows (smart money) and (b) inflows (dumb money)? There are few EM countries that have a tailwind behind them; most have increasing headwinds, and the winds on every continent are headed south, so to speak. Currency wars, inflation, domestic consumer market undeveloped, sharp declines in foreign demand for exports. So why now, what's the rush? Just my take.

Hi heezsafe, I was looking for longer term flow numbers. For instance, let's say Domestic Equity has had more total inflows by tens of billions over the past 5 years and Emerging Markets (overall, no specific region) had outflows (or low inflows), it could be an interesting space to add exposure.
  • edited April 2015
    Hi @Paul

While these longer (rear view) time frames may be of interest for review; IMHO, one needs to attempt to place what other events were taking place at the time of whatever particular money flow was being reviewed.

Since the markets melt in 2007/2008 there have been many "special situations" that would have provided any number of reasons for why the "big/hot money" was traveling to a particular area.

We try to view the current functions of the market place to establish investment postions.

To the circumstance of only one effect of market movements/cash flows may be reflected from the actions of central banks attempting to support "growth" and a "2% inflation rate". The result, of course; became and still exists today with a hugh boatload of very low yields for government and other investment grade bonds. Cheap money for financing.........whatever.

So, as to the flows of money into particular areas; from a review of past actions, needs to accompanied by and with "what was taking place" at the time.

We held IG and HY bonds much past the time frame of what the "economists and forecasters" kept telling us would be "healthy" for a decent return on the investment. I don't recall how many annual forecasts I have read during the past 5 years regarding that "the U.S. 10 yield was going to x percent upward in the next 6 - 12 months."

How many times has the EuroZone gone through the shakes of the market place in the past 5 years? My answer would simply be, a bunch !!!

However, I/we do use pricing of various market areas for a reflection of "money flows" at the time. If one were reviewing U.S. equity and bonds for a "funds flow" during the second half of 2011, the consideration that the U.S. had a debt quality downgrade in July would have to be accounted as a partial reason for the changes during this period. Pricing for equity went to hell for a few months and most IG bond pricing was very happy during this period.

Numerous other examples could be provided strictly related to central bank actions, regardless of any other events.

Obviously, this particular area of thought (funds/money flows) for a market guage is very complex; past the simple notes I have written.

I don't offer any particular judgment about investing in emerging markets at this time. We are "full up" with other areas that are doing well at this time.

As Mr. Snowball has noted in the blue box text along the left, top edge of this page; this is just my 2 cents worth. My only "formal" education regarding investments is from 35 years attending the "school of hard knocks". :)

Take care,
    Catch