Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

conference call highlights + mp3: RiverPark Focused Value

Dear friends,

Messrs. Berkowitz and Schaja chatted with me (and about 30 of you) for an hour tonight. It struck me as a pretty remarkable call, largely because of the clarity of Mr. Berkowitz's answers.

The snapshot: 20-25 stocks, likely all US-domiciled because he likes GAAP reporting standard (even where they're weak, he knows where the weaknesses are and compensate for them), mostly north of$10 billion in market cap though some in the $5-9 billion range. Long only with individual positions capped at 10%. They have price targets for every stock they buy, so turnover is largely determined by how quickly a stock moves to its target. In general, higher turnover periods are likely to correspond with higher returns.

His background (and why it matters): Mr. Berkowitz was actually interested in becoming a chemist, but his dad pushed him into chemical engineering because "chemists don't get jobs, engineers do." He earned a B.A. and M.A. in chemical engineering at MIT and went to work first for Union Carbide, then for Amoco (Standard Oil of Indiana). While there he noticed how many of the people he worked with had MBAs and decided to get one, with the expectation of returning to run a chemical company. While working on his MBA at Harvard, he discovered invested and a new friend, Bill Ackman. Together they launched the Gotham Partners LP fund. Initially Gotham Partners used the same discipline in play at the RiverPark funds and he described their returns in the mid-90s as "spectacular." They made what, in hindsight, was a strategic error in the late 1990s that led to Gotham's closure: they decided to add illiquid securities to the portfolio. That was not a good mix; by 2002, they decided that the strategy was untenable and closed the hedge fund.

Takeaways: (1) the ways engineers are trained to think and act are directly relevant to his success as an investor. Engineers are charged with addressing complex problems while possessing only incomplete information. Their challenge is to build a resilient system with a substantial margin of safety; that is, a system which will have the largest possible chance of success with the smallest possible degree of system failure. As an investor, he thinks about portfolios in the same way. (2) He will never again get involved in illiquid investments, most especially not at the new mutual fund.

His process: as befits an engineer, he starts with hard data screens to sort through a 1000 stock universe. He's looking for firms that have three characteristics:
  • Durable predictable businesses, with many firms in highly-dynamic industries (think "fast fashion" or "chic restaurants," as well as firms which will derive 80% of their profits five years hence from devices they haven't even invented yet) as too hard to find reliable values for. Such firms get excluded.
  • Shareholder oriented management, where the proof of shareholder orientation is what the managers do with their free cash flows.
  • Valuations which provide the opportunity for annual returns in the mid-teens over the next 3-5 years. This is where the question of "value" comes in. His arguments are that overpaying for a share of a business will certainly depress your future returns but that there's no simple mechanical metric that lets you know when you're overpaying. That is, he doesn't look at exclusively p/e or p/b ratios, nor at a firm's historic valuations, in order to determine whether it's cheap. Each firm's prospects are driven by a unique constellation of factors (for example, whether the industry is capital-intensive or not, whether its earnings are interest rate sensitive, what the barriers to entry are) and so you have to go through a painstaking process of disassembling and studying each as if it were a machine, with an eye to identifying its likely future performance and possible failure points.
Takeaways: (1) The fund will focus on larger cap names both because they offer substantial liquidity and they have the lowest degree of "existential risk." At base, GE is far more likely to be here in a generation than is even a very fine small cap like John Wiley & Sons. (2) You should not expect the portfolio is embrace "the same tired old names" common in other LCV funds. It aims to identify value in spots that others overlook. Those spots are rare since the market is generally efficient and they can best be exploited by a relatively small, nimble fund.

Current ideas: He and his team have spent the past four months searching for compelling ideas, many of which might end up in the opening portfolio. Without committing to any of them, he gave examples of the best opportunities he's come across: Helmerich & Payne (HP), the largest owner-operator of land rigs in the oil business, described as "fantastic operators, terrific capital allocators with the industry's highest-quality equipment for which clients willingly pay a premium." McDonald's (MCD), which is coming out of "the seven lean years" with a new, exceedingly talented management team and a lot of capital; if they get the trends right "they can explode." AutoZone (AZO), "guys buying brake pads" isn't sexy but is extremely predictabe and isn't going anywhere. Western Digital (WDG), making PCs isn't a good business because there's so little opportunity to add value and build a moat, but supplying components like hard drives - where the industry has contracted and capital needs impose relatively high barriers to entry - is much more attractive.

Even so, he describes this is "the most challenging period" he's seen in a long while. If the fund were to open today, rather than at the end of April, he expects it would be only 80% invested. He won't hesitate to hold cash in the absence of compelling opportunities ("we won't buy just for the sake of buying") but "we work really hard, turn over a lot of rocks and generally find a substantial number of names" that are worth close attention.

His track record: There is no public record of Mr. Berkowitz alone managing a long-only strategy. In lieu of that, he offers three thoughts. First, he's sinking a lot of his own money - $10 million initially - into the fund, so his fortunes will be directly tied to his investors'. Second, "a substantial number of people who have direct and extensive knowledge of my work will invest a substantial amount of money in the fund." Third, he believes he can earn investors' trust in part by providing "a transparent, quantitative, rigorous, rational framework for everything we own. Investors will know what we're doing and exactly why we're doing it. If our process makes sense, then so will investing in the fund."

Finally, Mr. Schaja announced an interesting opportunity. For its first month of operation, RiverPark will waive the normal minimum investment on its institutional share class for investors who purchase directly from them. The institutional share class doesn't carry a 12(b)1 fee, so those shares are 0.25% (25 bps) cheaper than retail: 1.00 rather than 1.25%. (Of course it's a marketing ploy, but it's a marketing ploy that might well benefit you in you're interested in the fund.)

The fund will also be immediately available NTF at Fidelity, Schwab, TDAmeritrade, Vanguard and maybe Pershing. It will eventually be available on most of the commercial platforms. Institutional shares will be available at the same brokerages but will carry transaction fees.

Here's the link to the mp3 of the call.

For what interest that holds,

David

Comments

• Mr. Berkowitz's background reminds me a bit of John Montgomery's. The latter trained as an engineer at MIT and worked in public transportation before founding Bridgeway. That shop's "quant" methodology, which no outside commentator ever got to see, worked "spectacularly" until it didn't anymore. Bridgeway had to re-think the methodology to ensure more protection on the downside because the NAV drops had indeed been "spectacular" in 2007-2009. I appreciate both Mr. Berkowitz's and Mr. Montgomery's honesty in admitting their failures. Disclosure: I still own Bridgeway's American Beacon LCV, but none of the former high-flying SC funds.
  • will evaluate as an IRA a candidate to complement. I already hold RPYHX and RSIVX in there.
  • @VintageFreak: with the NAV of both RPYHX & RSIVX dropping, have you thought about lowering holdings of both?
    Derf
  • I have some cash parked in both of those bond funds; for me the dough is there because money market funds pay nothing, so I don't pay much mind to the NAV.
  • @MFO Members; With all of the fanfare MFO is giving the new RiverPark Focused Value Fund, I hope it's future is a better track record than the other River Park Funds. After looking at the other RiverPark Fund percentile rankings, I'm of the opinion this is a very run-of-the-mill fund shop.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: You are right. The growth funds and hedged value proved disappointing.
  • Glad I read this synopsis... I think I'll be taking advantage of the Institutional Shares - No Minimum Investment being offered to direct RiverPark investors. It seems opportune to put a small deposit in just to have the I shares. And I emphasis 'small'. I'd like to see current holdings and a little history to see if it matches my temperament before venturing further.

@Derf: Yes, the NAV on RPHYX/RPHIX and RSIVX/RSIIX have dropped, but if HY is yielding 3% and SI is doing 5-7%, I feel I can take a hit on the asset value and offset it with the interest yield while I keep my fingers crossed. My 'Total Return' is still positive and it's better than Money Market or banks.
  • I just listened to the podcast and it was a nice discussion. Mr Schaja was a bit heavy on the "marketing" for my taste. It was disappointing to hear that there are only two people dedicated to the fund full time and the rest of the team are the other folks at RiverPark who haven't impressed much. I would put in some money if I had an account at river park, but I don't. At this point I don't feel it is worth opening a new account for. But I do like that they are offering the institutional shares. I have not heard of others doing that before.