Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Millennials Overtake the Baby Boomers.

Some interesting stats on population within the different classes. The effect of the boomers on industries like healthcare for example could be telling. Healthcare expanded to counter the fact that the boomer population would lead to increased business. Is that trend on the downside? It appears so.

http://americancenturyblog.com/2015/02/chart-of-the-week-baby-boomers-overwhelmed-by-millennials/

Comments

• So..................

Will some of the boomers pass (inherit) their monies to their children, who then use the money to support their children (the grandchildren of the boomers), who may not have decent income from work and/or a pile of student debt?

The amount of money passed along from some of the boomers will likely continue to decline; as we must suspect many remain conservative with their money and are going backwards in purchasing power with monies parked in CD's and related.
    As has been discussed here numerous times over the years, there remains a portion of this age group who will not invest in the markets, where we here tread, on a daily basis.

Well, anyway............not enough coffee consumption yet, for more.

Catch
  • @John Chisum: I wonder how many Millennials are MFO Members ? I'd venture a guess slim and none, and slim just left town. Let's move on !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Mills....just keep paying those SS & Medicare payments (taxes)....
    and then Again.... explain to me how SS runs out of money in our lifetime? Not possible
    File under political propaganda or Scare BS... and baby boomers spend your money IF you want to help the next generation (economy).....hoarding/inheriting helps who?
  • Ted said:

@John Chisum: I wonder how many Millennials are MFO Members ? I'd venture a guess slim and none, and slim just left town. Let's move on !
    Regards,
    Ted

If that's the case, it makes for ominous demographics for this website. Good thing curmudgeons are a tiny minority here.

@TB, How much money is left in the Social Security system? The answer is ZERO.

• I'm probably the youngest person on this website, but I fall into "Gen X", the generation prior to the Millennials.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi @scott
    I would think you are correct. The only other guess I would have regarding age is that PopTart, perhaps JohnN and yourself are likely close age grouping.

Wondering about the median age here.............not knowing the number of folks connected to the site; but perhaps of those who post at least once in a 12 month period.
    If we had the "poll" still here, a tabulation could be taken.
    I'm gonna guess 60 years.
  • Buddy:There is Trillions of $ in SS fund owed by the U.S. Gov plus interest...... There is NO better debt in the World, better bone up on SS bud and quit reading "Sound bites" ther're for dumbing down the Common man
  • So debt is as good as money?

For someone who professes to know it all about investing, you have a lot to learn about finance.

Is this what they teach in the schools today?
  • Sounds like you don't understand U.S. debt obligations, but I will School you.....
  • edited February 2015
    Let's start here.......
    Hover the mouse/pointer over the numbers for reference info.

I'll check in again to read.

Pillow time here...a very busy next few days awaits before the next storms.
  • What is a bank account but an unsecured debt of the bank to the saver? Is that not as good as money?

Of course, that account is insured by the FDIC. Who backs the FDIC? The same US Treasury that backs those bonds issued to Social Security.
  • catch22 said:

Hi @scott
    I would think you are correct. The only other guess I would have regarding age is that PopTart, perhaps JohnN and yourself are likely close age grouping.

Wondering about the median age here.............not knowing the number of folks connected to the site; but perhaps of those who post at least once in a 12 month period.
    If we had the "poll" still here, a tabulation could be taken.
    I'm gonna guess 60 years.

I turned 60 last year. Yup.
  • edited March 2015
    Don't know about the median age here....but I know if I was 40yo again running a business I wouldn't have time for this "Stuff"....then I bought the best mutual funds I could find in a short period of time (15 min.) bought them for our IRAs...and went back to making real money....
    Guess there are some professions you would/could fool around with blog sites....investing or facebook....or whatever...
  • @Tampabay

Yup. A challenge to keep abreast of investing when one is raising a family and working long hours. This all depends upon the motivation of an investor and time management.

But, managing the investments is a worthy use of time to grow the compounding affect, eh?
  • If I had to do all over again, I would buy Stock in the most profitable U.S. companies, that I knew were growing their businesses and... FORGET ABOUTIT
    I would have a lot more money than I do Now...but when is Enough? How much Fun can you have?...think I'm Maxed out now....Concert in Dunedin today/Bud in cooler.....that's all I need
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Your picture doesn't do you justice !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2015
    @Maurice

Per we "older" folks......your avatar is President Wilson, yes???

As to your suggestion, one can not keep Bruce Jenner out of that mix, eh? Would need the male perspective, too...................err, or a cross-over perspective.

I would have to flip a coin as to whether I would rather have dinner with the K's and Bruce or Putin.
  • edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: I did! I did!

(Nothing like being a New England-born depression baby!)
  • TedTed
    edited March 2015
    @Maurice: After listening to this I think you need to dump Coolidge !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Keep Cool: Keep Coolidge:
  • @Maurice
    Ohhhhhh.....my bad, and a quick guess......I should have done the Google Image thing to verify my guess.
  • @Maurice: I'm sending this to Michelle ! I suspect the Secret Service will be at your home within the hour.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Putin is my Hero...he would whip Obama's a--, no voting necessary...
  • edited March 2015
    @Tampabay

You stated: "Putin is my Hero..."

'Course, you state this only as an affront towards Obama and for no other reason, yes???
  • @ Tampabay

The contractor who just painted my house was born in Kiev. His "crew" showed up on a Monday am: first guy to arrive wearing tweed jacket & holding paper with my address & phone #. He obviously had never been a painter in real life, but clearly trying his best. The best guy was obviously a pro -- did drywall repairs that you cannot see -- and I KNEW where the holes etc were... But like the first guy, most could not speak a word of English --usually only one English speaker on site. Interesting experience -- & I heard a few hair-raising stories from the Eastern Front that I won't repeat here..

Anyway -- just saying -- I'm assuming your statement about Putin was totally based on a momentary RX..
  • Didn't some politico just get shot and killed in Red Square because he dissed Putin?

Not someone I would trust at all.
  • ICY:I hope you checked all those Painters "green cards", you didn't offer/Pay them in cash did you( no taxes/ss for us)? Putin wouldn't stand for that behavior (straight to the woodshed for them/you)...Obama would give them Healthcare and amnesty........
    you choose....is that monetary RX?