Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Next thing you know we will be forced to buy only the foods that are on the Michelle's school lunch list.

You WILL eat that moldy bun and you WILL LIKE IT!
  • And there will be criminal prosecutions of parents for allowing their kids 3 M&Ms rather than the prescribed 2.
  • edited February 2015

Next thing you know we will be forced to buy only the foods that are on the Michelle's school lunch list.

You WILL eat that moldy bun and you WILL LIKE IT!

A sneak preview....? (ominous drumroll)

http://www.businessinsider.com/thanks-michelle-obama-hashtag-2014-11
  • I have seen some similar articles with pictures including the moldy bun. Growing kids need more than that. That lunch pictured is a disgrace.

Best thing is a brown bag lunch if they will let the kids bring one.
  • As long as the politicians that pass this law also weigh in as not being obese themselves.
  • "if they will let the kids bring one"

Well, I've never heard or read anything to suggest that the kids can't bring their own lunch. The sad fact is that few parents have either the time or inclination to go to that "trouble" when a "free" lunch is available. My wife taught for 35 years in the SF public school system, and she will testify to that without hesitation.

I not only brown-bagged through school, but also for over forty years in my jobs. Another reason why we have the savings and financial strength to allow me to participate in a site like MFO. $5-$7 bucks a day x 40 years really adds up, especially when it's getting compound interest rather than being spent.

(You folks do remember when we got interest on our savings, right?)
  • @Old_Joe, 5% interest rate in savings at most banks in a former time period. Yes, those were the days.

I was a brown bag kid too. Actually in grade school we had lunch buckets. Bologna sandwiches, apple, some chips and a drink.

We also walked to and from school (six blocks) and had PE everyday besides our usual activities after school.
  • Without getting too political, I certainly hope all those high schoolers and middle schoolers who are unhappy with their school lunches will remember which party likes to centralize decision making and take away personal freedom/responsibility, when they are of voting age.
  • Without getting too political, I certainly hope all those high schoolers and middle schoolers who are unhappy with their school lunches will remember which party likes to centralize decision making and take away personal freedom/responsibility. Then they can vote for the other party and make their own lunches. Wait.. hold on.. they can do that now...
  • edited February 2015
    I think kids can bring their own lunches but do the schools try to get 100% enrollment for the lunch program? I think they get federal money for each student enrolled. A brown bagger might be considered a radical.

Many parents today do not see the cost savings of brown bag lunches. Convenience is the major factor. What they don't know is that it only takes a couple of minutes to put together a good lunch. When the kids hit a certain age, they can make their own. Add in the additional costs of kids pigging out when they get home because they starved on the national diet lunch.

Brown bag lunches, Cheaper , more nutritious, and more filling.
  • TedTed
    edited February 2015
    @MFO Members What ever happened to peanut butter and jelly that was my school lunch on 95% of my days., the other 5% it was good old bologna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_sausage#mediaviewer/File:Bologna_lunch_meat_style_sausage.JPG
  • @Ted- that sure sounds familiar- you too, hmm?
  • Or you could be special and had olive loaf sandwiches.
  • Had all three, always remember warm boloney and mustard...ugg
    What's a "free lunch" never had one..my Parents PAID for their Kids to Eat. and people say kids are spoiled.....
  • oj what's interest is that what you get when reading a good book ??
  • "US Considers Tax on Sugary Foods to Fight Obesity"....Politician's answer to a problem..
    Tampabay's: "Stop eating so much".....will you vote for me? Probably not....
  • Brown bags all the way - school, college, work, sometimes even on airplanes, theme parks... Just like home food better, more nutritious, you know more about what's in there, costs less, portions are right sized for you, right spice level (:-). We do go out and eat, but then it is almost always a family occasion or vacations to spend time together in a different setting.
  • I have my salt-free, fat-free, peanut non-allergy almond butter on gluten-free ready to go. No need for that high-fructose orange poison in my pack.