Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

a quick survey: which managers write letters that are worth reading?

In any entirely-admirable move, several fund advisers are trying to answer the question "how can we do better?" In particular, they're asking about how they can do a better job of talking with their shareholders. A couple have asked me to recommend companies whose communication might serve as exemplars.

I think of investor communications as following one of three models:

Granular detail on the portfolio - these folks report what the SEC require,s then tend to tell us more than I could ever want to know about their analysis of one or two holdings.

Talks about the investing environment - these folks spend more time walking through the "what do we see going on out there and how are we trying to deal with it" story.

Lifeless drivel (a/k/a the Fidelity model) - these are the template-driven reports where every fund reports the exact same topics, in the exact same order, using the exact same language. Somewhere in there the manager gets his very own two-sentence paragraph. Huzzah.

When it comes to shareholder letters and reports, my own biases favor reports with a human voice and those that help me think about the bigger questions surrounding my portfolio planning. One favorite is John Montgomery at Bridgeway (one of the few guys, perhaps the only guy, to invite his trustees to contribute content). I think Seafarer does a consistently good job of speaking to their investors and treating them as if they're partners with brains rather than just marketing targets. Vulcan Value is sort of a hidden gem; you've got to love any manager letter that begins "we've done great recently but that's entirely irrelevant." Grandeur Peak (whose letter starts with a casual "It was a rough quarter for stocks, no doubt about it") is an interesting case of folks striving for balance between big picture and granular detail.

So, here are two questions: if I were to be approached by an earnest fund manager looking to connect with his investors, is there a company whose work he should really pay attention to? Or should he take the shareholder letter as a historical curiosity and focus on some new technology? Fund companies are, God help us all, flocking to YouTube and they tweet like sparrows swarming a warm loaf of bread.

Curious, as ever,

David

Comments

• FMI first comes to mind for this kid. I read the quarterlies for FMIJX only, but I assume they're similar for the other two funds they run.

They do very detailed market commentary, a general portfolio review with the pluses and minuses, and detailed analysis of a couple of holdings including how the holdings fit their criteria, specifically, with real data. (I have to laugh sometimes at how curmudgeonly they sound, but hey, curmudgeons can be great value investors!)

Parnassus, and as you said, David, Grandeur Peak and Seafarer also come to mind. I'll have to read some Vulcan Value; I have it on a watchlist but haven't ever read the manager commentary.
  • AndyJ just beat me to FMI. I've found FAM to be very good on the granular level. Then there are some companies that do quarterly podcasts like FPA and Intrepid. It's nice to actually hear the managers sometimes.
  • a third vote for FMI. After FMI, the next one that comes to mind is bridgeway.
  • MJG
    edited November 2014
    Hi David,

The champion by a wide margin is the famous Berkshire- Hathaway series.

Here is a Link that provides access to many of them:

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

You have to go a long way to beat the Buffett-Munger team just like you need to go a long way to beat a Carl's Jr. hamberger (a less famous Richard Nixon quote from his library).

Best Wishes for a Happy and prosperous Holiday season.
  • David,

Wasatch Funds, which provides granular detial were the first that came to mind, I have their WAGTX fund, here is a quote from their latest quarterly summary:

"We’re glad that despite a rough final quarter of the fiscal year, we were able to do a little better than preserve the exceptional returns that the Fund achieved over the prior several years. Today, while it could be argued that we’re winning based on the entirety of our performance, it clearly feels like we’re losing—mostly because we just finished a quarter and fiscal year in which the Fund underperformed the benchmark."

It certainly is no surprise Grandeur Park also provides detail, as they came from Wasatch.

For the rest of It:
    https://secure.wasatchfunds.com/Our-Funds/Commentary.aspx?fund=WAGTX
  • Whitebox.
    SeaFarer.

Not just letters but conference calls.

Come immediately to mind.
  • Several mentions for Seafarer, so let us also mention the Matthews team. Their summaries are a must read for an update on the region.
  • Hi David,

Although David Iben has been feeling the pain since launching KGGIX, I really liked his letters when he was at Nuveen Tradewinds, and he continues to write compelling, easy-to-read letters at Koppernik:

http://kopernikglobal.com/content/news-and-views-iben-insights

Kevin
  • edited November 2014
    My three biggest firms all do a highly commendable job with annual & semi-annual reports. These are: T. Rowe Price, Dodge & Cox, and Oakmark. Of the three, I find the Oakmark's reports (OAKBX) the most entertaining, insightful, and provocative. I think they were probably better when Ed was there - but are still very good.

One "rotten-tomatoes" award: I get absolutely nothing from the reports from Permanant Portfilio Funds (PRPFX). It may be that since he considers the fund's allocation fairly static, he deems these reports an unnecessary encumbrance.

What I look for most of all is some insight into the manager's thought process. If he's wrong I understand. But, I want to know what went into his/her decision to buy/sell a stock or to over-weight/under-weight an area. If they're really sharp, I'll take away some new insights into the investing process I hadn't considered before.
  • David Winters (Wintergreen)
    John Deysher (Pinnacle)
  • Concur with Andy on FMI writing. Another one I like is Osterweis funds - detailed analysis that reflects their cautious and conservative approach in portfolio construction and positioning.
  • I like to see funds disclose their portfolio monthly. I like how iva makes this easily accessible and also provide a quarterly breakdown of performance (top performers and sectors etc). But they should make historical data available also.
  • I'd agree with Kopernik's David Iben. I look forward to reading his commentaries more than anyone else since I read about him here and on M* earlier this year. For my interest, I would tell any manager to avoid the attribution analysis and this stock did well and this one didn't stuff. If I care I can figure it out myself, but mostly I don't care. I'd rather read about how the manager thinks, why he believes this part of the world, or this sector, or even this company has a bright future. In that way, the commentaries are a good chance for the manager to convince me I like his approach and I should stick with him when times are tough. Otherwise, throw the minimum together and I'll just judge based on the results.

As far as alternative media, I'm not a Facebook or Twitter guy or any of those things. I like what Matthews does with frequent communication about their markets, and I have occasionally watched and enjoyed a video presentation (Tekla was a recent example). I think its important to do these things in a way that adds value, and for me that's again having the chance to understand their thinking and approach better.

It sounds like there are some other good ones out there and I may review them and consider adding them to my list of reading, but the reality is there's enough to read that the bar is moving higher and higher.
  • Maybe there is one more category: the manager remains completely silent as in the semi-annual report from Brown Capital Management I just received.
  • edited December 2014
    In terms of US funds, I like Whitebox, Marketfield, Wintergreen (although I don't always agree, I think his recent battle with Coke was kind of absurd) and Seafarer for solid letters. Tekla's outstanding investor day presentation from earlier this year (which I'd missed) got me more excited about owning their funds and I've added recently - I hope they do another presentation next year.

They're brief and it's not a US fund, but it's interesting to hear from Jacob Rothschild a couple of times per year via RIT Capital Partners letters (ritcap.com)
  • Although Berkshire Hathaway, BRKB , is not considered a mutual fund, Warren Buffet's writing is always informative and insightful. He discussed individual stocks that didn't worked out and those that contributed materially.
  • Late with my answer but Howard Marks of Oaktree Capital Group is always a good read. ( Firm manages VCVSX.