Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Top Performing And Yielding Dividend Funds

FYI: The dividend mutual funds with the best 15-year average annual returns aren't among those bearing the highest yield. In fact, five of the top seven in performance yield less than the S&P 500's 1.87%.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTg2Nzc5OTE=

Enlarged Graphic: http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WEBlv111914.gif&docId=727114&xmpSource=&width=1000&height=1152&caption=&id=727115

Comments

• Hi Ted,

Thanks for posting the article. Not sure how you come up with all this good stuff ... but, I am gald that you do ... and, importantly post for our reading enjoyment.

By the way, Old_Skeet owns four of the funds referenced. They are as follows: FDASX, DDIAX, CFLGX and SVAAX. I believe the author makes comments on FDSAX and SVAAX.

Old_Skeet
  • edited November 2014
    Best- and worst-performing alternatives funds
    Ranked by one-year total returns
    http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20141116/CHART02/141119924
    Largest alternatives funds
    Ranked by net assets
    http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20141116/CHART02/141119925

Off-Topic
    FOREIGN POLICY UNVEILS SIXTH ANNUAL
    “100 LEADING GLOBAL THINKERS” ISSUE

Krugman not on list, Thomas Piketty is.A two to three paragraph synopsis of people who have impacted 2014 to date.
    November 17, 2014 — WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Foreign Policy released its sixth annual “100 Leading Global Thinkers” issue, recognizing a year of tumult, protest, inspiration, and new beginnings.

“Each year our list of leading Global Thinkers spotlights those who have translated their ideas into actions, impacting millions worldwide,” said David Rothkopf, Editor and CEO of The FP Group. “It is a chance to reflect on who and what is driving change today and who will shape it tomorrow.”

The issue, and the Global Thinkers, will be honored at a dinner celebration in Washington on the evening of the 17th. Between 40 and 50 of the honorees, coming in from all parts of the world, will participate in a Town Hall discussion at The Four Seasons Hotel. Earlier, they will also join panel discussions as part of "Transformational Trends: A Year of Disruptive Thinking", an innovative policy conference, now in its 3rd year, jointly sponsored by FP and the State Department’s Policy Planning Staff. Secretary of State John Kerry is the keynote speaker of the conference.

This year’s issue focuses on the events that disrupted the global order – for better or for worse. In a year when Russia annexed Crimea and the Islamic State redefined the very nature of terrorism, a group of Indian scientists and engineers also showed the world how to send a spacecraft to Mars on a budget, and a Japanese naturalist demonstrated how trees could be used to mitigate the worst consequences of climate change. In this issue, Foreign Policy celebrates those who have meaningfully contributed to improving our global community, and acknowledge the impact of those who have disrupted it.

This year’s diverse group of Global Thinker honorees are organized into ten categories:

The “Decision Makers” includes India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel, and Mexico’s Secretary of Finance, Luis Videgaray; the “Challengers,” who have defied the norm and reshuffled the deck, include journalist Kara Swisher, and Joshua Wong, the student leader of the Hong Kong protests; among the “Naturals” is Ruth Buendia, the Peruvian activist; “The Innovators” includes Harvard engineer Jennifer Lewis and microbiologist Janet Iwasa; and “The Advocates,” those who risk everything to fight for what they believe in, include civic activist Hanna Hopko.

“The Chroniclers,” are the masters of storytelling, among them political television personality John Oliver; there are “The Healers,” such as Drs. Kevin Whaley and Larry Zeitlin who created ZMapp, a major breakthrough for Ebola treatment; “The Artists” includes sculptor and artist Kara Walker; “The Moguls,” including Jack Ma of Alibaba Group, are a collection of individuals always looking for “the next big thing”; and finally there are “The Agitators”, among them terrorist leaders, ideologues, and wily financiers, including the Islamic State’s Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi and Russia’s President Vladimir Putin. When its history is written, 2014 will be remembered as a year when remarkable individuals changed the world as we know it.

From the Editor’s Letter: "Take our cover image, a Molotov cocktail in mid-explosion. It’s a metaphor for violence, certainly, but also one for defiance, for resistance, for unleashing the startlingly new. The image, like the majority of Global Thinkers on our list, is a reminder that change can start at any second: change that is destructive, beautiful, inspirational – sometimes all at once."

Also in the latest issue, journalist and author George Packer writes about today’s “Agitators”, from the annexation of Crimea to the rise of ISIS; Gillian Tett, award- winning journalist from the Financial Times discusses the public’s enthrallment with Thomas Piketty; and environmentalist Bill McKibben writes an essay on the climate change crisis in 2014.

VISIT THE INTERACTIVE SITE FOR FP’S LEADING GLOBAL THINKERS OF 2014 HERE

http://globalthinkers.foreignpolicy.com

• One of the top ten alts is a long short healthcare fund. HHCAX. That must be an interesting one. I wonder what they shorted in this healthcare rally we have had?
  • One of the top ten alts is a long short healthcare fund. HHCAX. That must be an interesting one. I wonder what they shorted in this healthcare rally we have had?

That is a really interesting, odd little fund. It has done really well over the long-term, but I've watched it have some periods here-and-there where it has issues. It also used to have a large private equity position (which was the top position for a while), but no longer.
  • @Scott: FYI:
    Regards,
    Ted
    HHCAX 5yr. return 12.78%
    Average Healthcare Fund 5yr. return 22%
  • @Ted, the way healthcare has been rallying, it's hard to see how a long short strategy would work here. Your stats prove that out.
  • @John Chisum: Shorting healthcare is like swimming upstream.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited November 2014
    Article missed that PRBLX handily beat all of those funds over that time period (9.64% annual return) with much less volatility (SD = 12.93, Beta to S&P = .78, all of the others averaged around 15-16 and .9, except FRDPX, which came in at 12.98 and .73, but returned 8.47% p/y)
  • i've been putting $ into PRBLX recently and think i should put more. it has a long histoty and had done very well.
  • Ted said:
    @TSP_Transfer: FYI:
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/17090/best-and-worst-performing-alternatives-funds-ranked-1yr-total-return-largest-alternative-funds#latest

Ted,thanks for another reminder that "Got to get up very very early to keep ahead of the linkster." I plugged in "best" "worst" "alternative"in this sites search box before I added the alternative rankings to this post.The search did not indicate that you had previously linked the same article.Sorry! Your original "alternative" post is now in the "bull pen" with zero comments and 14 views. Since my adding the alternative link to this post it has attracted several additional comments on all the items discussed and now totals over 80 views and will not be relegated to the "bull pen" at this time.My suggestion,as with others,combine many of your links under general headings as in M*news,E T F news,rankings,daily dishings (Art Cashin, CNBC links etc.),Barron's ,InvestmentNews etc. And please continue and add your input into other poster's links and observations.And I don't mean any menacing "trips to the woodshed" inference.Regards.
  • TSP_Transfer Yes, my original article was put in the bullpen, and I think the powers to be want to put me there too.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Two Vanguard etfs for retirement income:

2 Vanguard ETFs For Steady Retirement Income
  • @Ted
    You just put on that expensive, 2-pt Napoleonic hat of yours, take a couple of classes at the Monty Python School of Silly Walks, and nobody's gonna mess with you, buddy!
  • edited November 2014
    Bee:Vanguard VYM & VIG good stuff for your Xmas Stocking
  • About those Vanguard ETF's - one has a yield of 2.9% and the other of 2.01%. If inflation is running at 3% how long will it be before you have to start selling your seed corn in order to keep up?
  • 'Course, the higher the underlying price/value of "whatever" moves upward that is throwing off the dividend; will also "push" the dividend/yield downward.

Not unlike the yields that were present in late 2008 in the HY bond area. Heck yes, the yields were really high because the underlying value of the bond(s) had been beaten into dirt. Those very high yields are, of course; gone now; but the captial appreciation in this area was very pleasing.

Always a "this or that" somewhere in these types of mixes. Get the yield/dividend and/or the capital appreciation.

The ultimate sweetness is the "total return", eh??? Get it where you may.......