Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gabelli abc fund--GABCX--is listed as Mid Cap Growth ??

AT both Morningstar & here on MFO --- yet the Gabelli web site classifies it as Market Neutral ??

any feedback is appreciated
Thanks

Ralph

Comments

• It's a conservative, risk managed total return fund, but yes it acts more like a market neutral fund. Mid Cap Growth is wrong. GADVX invests in stocks, bonds, and uses 'arbitrage' strategies.
  • TedTed
    edited November 2014
    @Ralph; Lipper classifies GABCX as an event driven fund, and I agree. Typical of Super Mario, he is a big believer in M&A.
    Regards,
    Ted

Lipper Snapshot Of GABCX: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/gabcx
  • Thanks 00BY & Ted for your reply.
  • FWIW, I kinda like the fund. It is pretty unique. But the returns are pretty paltry. It holds up better in down markets (-6.5 max draw down) and is tame (ulcer index of 1.1), but the returns just aren't high enough to have me interested (annualized over the past 3 years, 3.5%). There's a place for this type of fund in some people's portfolio.