Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thanks, Ted!

Ted
October 21
"The Royals In 4"
Regards,
Ted

Thanks, Ted! Your jinx undoubtedly gave us the necessary edge.

Seriously, those two teams were so well matched, and played such good ball, that it was a tossup as to which one was the "best". Game seven was probably the best game that I've ever seen. It was really nice to see two teams not relying on "superstar" hitters (with or without pharmaceutical enhancements) but instead relying on real teamwork with contributions coming from almost every player. Some of the best pitching, on both sides, that you're ever going to see. What a great series!

Comments

• Congrats Old Joe and to my adopted hometown Giants! It was a great series. Two wild card teams - who'd a thunk it.
  • Amazing finish! Bumbarner was like a buzz-saw, going through the Royals' lineup. Then, like the start of yet ANOTHER miraculous winning rally, Gordon ends-up standing at 3rd with 2 outs in the 9th. But he was stranded when Sandoval at 3rd base caught the pop-up foul ball on the left side by Perez for the 3rd out. GREAT game, edge-of-the-seat competition. All credit goes to the Royals, who fought and scratched to get to the WS, then to a 7th game. But more credit goes to the Giants. Congratulations to the winners. (But would they have won that game without Bumgarner? He was in fact credited with that win--- his THIRD of the series.)
  • Great series. Only wish the Nats could have been in it.

I was screaming to send Gordon home as soon as the ball rolled to the wall. He was rounding third before the ball hit the cutoff. Make SF throw him out without Posey blocking the plate. And send it to review if you have to. The combined chances of that have to be higher than getting another hit off of Bumgarner, a passed ball, or a second straight error.
  • You might be right! I didn't analyze on that basis, but I just thought that trying to get the inside-the-park home run would have been asking too much... Now there won't be baseball until pitchers and catchers report, in mid-February. Gotta hang on. I hope this winter coming is not like the BEAST we had last year.
  • @Old_Joe: Tonight I'm picking Louisville over Florida State with +4.5.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Royals can't hit, Best team wins...surprise!
  • TB. Best pitcher won, for his team.
    Derf
  • 18-10, with a 2.98 ERA and 4 complete games for the regular season. He was in COMPLETE control, and DOMINATED in the W.S. Gotta hand it to him--- and the Giants.
    Bumgarner stats page: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bumgama01.shtml
  • edited October 2014
    I got dizzy because they kept (intentially) jiggling their cameras. Sometimes when a pitcher was starting his delivery they would cut to a shot of the manager in the dugout. How sre you supposed to enjoy the game with such idiots producing it?

(And been somber all day long over poor ol Ted getting it so wrong.)