Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bulls Pour Funds Into Russian ETF

TedTed
edited August 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: The Russian, Ukraine dispute will be resolves, it's a short-term problem. I'm thinking of putting a few rubles in RSX for a quick in-and-out.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2014/08/28/bulls-pour-funds-into-russian-etf/tab/print/

M* Snapshot OF RSX: http://etfs.morningstar.com/quote?t=RSX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Comments

• your optimism is admirable, Ted.
  • As is your restraint, JR.

:-)
  • it is because i deleted most of my post upon reviewing it.
    keen observation, Old Joe, as always..
    Old_Joe said:

As is your restraint, JR.

:-)

• If history is an indicator of how Russia resolves conflict with the former Soviet bloc countries, take a look at Chechnya and Georgia as recent examples since the cold war ended. Neither ones ended well.

Came across this piece from WSJ that stated "MSCI Considers Excluding VTB Bank's Ruble Shares from Its Russia Index"
    online.wsj.com/articles/msci-mulls-removing-vtb-banks-ruble-shares-from-russia-index-1406888093
  • @Ted
    1. would this be used as a hedge-a-"rooskie" for the Ukrainian bonds in your global/EM bond fund(s)? :)
    2. probably want to stay away from denominating in the sovereign--- ruble not doing so hotsy-totsy lately....("like" new record low vs. dollar)

• Those Ukranian bonds soon to be changed into Putin bonds as Russian troops march into Ukraine as we speak.
  • From FPA Crescent Fund Letter to Shareholders,July 25 2014
    Russia
    Early in the year, we began to focus on Russian companies as many global businesses seemed reasonably
    priced. We ultimately settled on a commodity basket that we could buy if and/or when its stock market sold off.
    We chose commodity companies because their dollarized revenue stream limited exposure to the ruble, which is
    expensive to hedge. Furthermore, these businesses account for 25% of Russia’s GDP and 50% of the country’s
    governmental revenue so it’s clear they are of critical importance to the state. We also believed that there was some
    ability to mitigate U.S. sanctions as the underlying asset is globally traded.
    When Russia “annexed” Crimea, we had our opportunity. The companies in our basket traded at huge
    discounts to their global peers and, despite low-payout ratios, had dividend yields that were much higher than their
    P/Es. The average P/E of the basket at purchase was less than 4x current year consensus estimates while the
    average current dividend yield was greater than 5%. We appreciate the risk of investing in a country with a
    complex, authoritarian political system and that our upside could potentially be taken by the government, but we 8
    also believe that the prices at which we purchased these securities were sufficiently discounted to offer an
    asymmetric risk/reward that was skewed in our favor.
    http://www.fpafunds.com/docs/quarterly-commentaries-crescent-fund/2014-q2-crescentBD9EEAFAF16B.pdf?sfvrsn=4
  • FWIW, I finished reading David Iben's thoughts on Russia (look for LLJB's post on Kopernik Global All-Cap) who also seems to see "value" in Russia.
  • I bought a bit of RSX a couple of weeks ago, really just as a value play to balance out my Asian exposure a bit. It is volatile, I'm about even from where I bought it. I'm not sure I'm comfortable putting any money into the developed world these days outside of Asia (ex-Japan). Eastern Europe seems the only serious value opportunity left.