Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

screening sites these days

edited November 2013 in Fund Discussions
Howdy good people,

What are you folks using these days to rank order and screen mutual funds and/or ETFs?

peace,

rono

Comments

• hey rono - long time have not seen your post. What are your thoughts about gold and PM, time to buy more?
    sometimes schwab give good perspectives about different stocks on research screen [you can sign up for a free account]. We do use google.com/finance and morningstar
  • edited November 2013
    Hi rono,

Below is a link to a site that I have been using ...

http://money.msn.com/investing/top-funds.aspx

You can click on the fund's ticker to view its report.

and, another ...

http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/

Just click on the category you seek details on and a list of funds will apear by performance (which can be sorted). If you want to look at the fund's Morningstar report just click on the fund you wish to view.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Old_Skeet
  • F.A.S.T. Graphs™ offers two subscription options for researching stock fundamentals deeper and faster. You can choose from our Basic or Premium membership option, depending on your needs. Premium membership includes all of the features in our Basic membership, but also includes additional features only available with a Premium membership.
    Basic Monthly
    $9.95 USD per Month
    I have used the premium option and I love it Great tool... Priceless
  • Hi Rono,

I like and use this site as it allows you to rank ETFs and OEFs simultaneously:

http://funds.us.reuters.com/US/screener/screener.asp?reset=1

Kevin
  • just curious what forum members think.

when screening funds - and you can enter criteria. which may result in several hundred funds based on your search criteria.

do you prefer a huge page that may return 100's of funds in the results, or do you like pagination where you can view 20 funds at a time and click next page or page number to show more of the results.
  • Reply to @Accipiter: (Not that we have an ulterior motive behind such an innocent question.)
  • edited November 2013
    ;-)
  • Reply to @David_Snowball:

feedback (by a large number of readers of the forum) to the question could lead to something. - a useful program perhaps.

no feedback could lead to nothing

but a fair and balanced question, maybe:)
  • Reply to @Accipiter: I have such faith in you!

Fairly imbalanced,

David
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @David_Snowball:

ah I thought you meant my question was failrly imbalanced. But I see it was your signoff. :) I get it now. slow on the uptake I am.

edited above.
  • David- since Accipiter is looking for a decent amount of feedback (and rightfully so) before jumping into a lot of work, perhaps you could post a "Notice" for a week or so to give the issue fair exposure?

Just a thought- OJ
  • i like everything on one page myself, especially if you're able to sort on the various headings.
  • edited November 2013
    @Accipiter : I think I would prefer to get all the result unless doing so will be too time consuming and too much load on the site. Assuming all the results obtained I would like to be able to sort on columns or be able to filter down on thise results by refining query or entering a sub-query on results. This can go several levels deep.

Actually one other feature would be extremely useful: once the funds are screened add the selected ones to a Cart and at checkout (or whatever you would call) display the selected properties /details of those funds in a report page.
  • Reply to @Accipiter:
    Definitely not 100's of funds on one page, but it would be nice if there is a way to export the results to a spreadsheet.
  • Reply to @johnN:

Hi johnN,

Hope you're doing well. I'm great. I am still slowly adding to my pm's but slowly. That said, I doubt we'll see any explosive breakout upward. It seems to be trapped in a trading range which militates against any major moves. I see it as a wealth allocation device that is neither securities, nor real estate. This would put an allocation percentage in the 5-10% range.

peace,

rono
  • edited November 2013
    so as not to completely hijack rono's discussion

please refer to when replying to my question.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/9151/possible-great-owl-search-page