Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Autonomous Driving Transportation--The Next Big Thing?

edited October 2013 in Off-Topic
The more I hear about this the more I feel this is going to be a huge investment opportunity. Driverless cars are about halfway there in the mainstream already with higher end cars having sensors detecting unwanted lane changes or following too close to the vehicle in front of you. This also follows the airline industry technology as planes pretty much fly themselves now. Google is big in this sector as are some other tech giants. Apple is another one.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    This is something that I've thought a lot about and have researched but haven't really gotten into yet. I agree that it will be a big theme in the years ahead.

Google is certainly a big name in this theme, but I think what the thing is with Google is that it's so significantly ad revenue and CEO Eric Schmidt said on CNBC that "it probably will be for the next 3-5 years." Interesting that Google will look very different in the years ahead as various new projects will likely start becoming a greater and greater share of the focus.

The company that I think is a smaller, less discussed possible play on this (not yet, but down the road) is Trimble Navigation (TRMB). I don't own it, but I do think it's a very interesting company.

Nissan is demoing their self-driving car: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2013/10/09/nissans-autonomous-car-a-test-drive/

Valeo (VLEEY) is a French auto tech company that is a more definite/pure play on this theme and at least that pays a div. They are already working on this: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/15/valeo-works-toward-autonomous-vehicles-in-troy/

Continental AG (CTTAY) is another foreign name. They are working with IBM and possibly Google (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/10/us-autoshow-frankfurt-continental-ibm-idUSBRE9890CO20130910)
  • I saw a television spot on Bloomberg I think regarding the Nissan demo. That was very interesting. I remember years ago the idea of imbedding sensors or strips in the roads to accomplish this. Now with GPS and software, it is very real. The car companies are slowly adopting the use of this technology as we now see some cars with the self parking feature for parallel parking for example.

It is something to watch for sure. If there are any losers in this transition it will be law enforcement as speeding tickets would be history. Traffic jams would also be a thing of the past.

Probably ten to twenty years yet before this becomes reality. Thanks for those links Scott.
  • edited October 2013
    Well ... err ... alotta wives wouldn't like it. How do you yell at a autonomous driver? The technology is real and most new cars in 20 years or less will have the capability (some insiders say 10 years). Same GPS & imaging technology that for at least 30 years has allowed the military to send a cruise missile across a couple thousand miles at tree-top level and strike a specific smoke stack, window or bunker will make the technology very feasible. Laws will need to be drafted. Will you need a special operator's certification? Can you operate while intoxicated? etc.

All major auto makers are working on this. My guess is they will team with established technology companies in the same way Ford developed "Sync" along with Microsoft for their cars several years ago. Find out who they're teaming with and there may be investment opportunities.

(PS: This will take some of the fun out of being a teenager. Borrowing the family car to go to the "library" will cease to be a useful pretext for more nefarious adventures:-)
  • There is definite commercial potential here. Imagine a scenario where the autonomous driver is essentially a taxi service but you can have it go places without a driver. Let's say you own the car, it takes you to work and you read the WSJ on the ride in, it drops you off at work and then it goes to drop off your dry cleaning. An hour before you need to leave work, the car (waiting in a parking lot) goes to the grocery store for you and is loaded up by a human that has a special key fob to open your trunk (with your permission). You are then picked up from work with your clothes from the dry cleaner and your groceries. Or, you can have a scenario where you live in a suburb but do not own a car, instead you pay a usage fee. When a car is not taking people to/from work, it could serve other purposes.

I think it is hard to pick a winner here. You need a car that can navigate parking lots, etc. I think Google may have an advantage but they may not commercialize the technology for some time, and it is not a pure-play investment into the space.

Here is another question, WHO IS THE WINNER IN THE MEDIA CONSUMPTION EVOLUTION?
  • Reply to @paydirt: I think what concerns me about the media situation is continual disputes between the content providers and the cable companies (see TWC/CBS a few months ago) and the ever-increasing cost of pay TV.

At some point, cable companies see people head towards other alternatives instead of pay TV (and really, maybe it's just me, but TV - with the exception of some bright spots - is weaker and weaker.)

I think cable companies do well from the standpoint of cable internet for the time being, but you have other things on the horizon like Google and Google Fiber in an increasing amount of areas.

The other service that I find interesting is the most controversial - Aereo. Internet/media conglomerate IAC Interactive (IACI) is a lot of stuff that I'm not that interested in, but they do have an investment in Aereo (which is a private company) and IAC ceo Barry Diller is on the board of Aereo. Very small part of IAC, but a roundabout way to play a much-discussed company.

For those unfamiliar with Aereo (I think it's only in a few major markets so far): https://aereo.com/about

Liberty Media (LMCA) is a very compelling opportunistic vehicle to play media and communications, chaired by John Malone. There is also Liberty Ventures, Liberty Global (cable) and Liberty Interactive and there will soon be others.

American Tower (AMT) and other cell tower companies continue to do well, although Google is now providing internet using balloons.

From a technical standpoint, I believe that Cisco (CSCO) will benefit from the increased consumption of data, although it's been disappointing lately. Qualcomm has done well. Liberty has done very well.

So, there are things that are working now, but over the horizon I see things likely changing and probably substantially so.

I do think that Google is also a play on this, although again, it's part of the idea that the Google of five years from now many look different or very different from the Google of today.

As for autonomous driving, I think 10 years or less.
  • Reply to @hank: Of course this technology will have a history or tracking capability so the parents know you were up on paradise lane or whatever the local name is. Can't get away with anything anymore, although our parents may have known more than we thought
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @paydirt: Yes - Very good. If it works for "taxis" it should work for busses. Big money there for bus companies. Years ago commercial jets downsized from 3-member crews to 2-member as planes became more automated. How long before one-person cockpits? Then eventually no flight crew at all? Lots of money to be saved there. Buy bus companies and airlines maybe?
  • All well and good ... until somebody figures out a way to blind the sensors that feed data to the controller (does anyone REALLY believe the technology will be completely foolproof?) or LulzSec decides to have some "fun" and push a silent "patch" through an undocumented backdoor (What? You don't REALLY believe the software will be 100% bug free and completely secure right out of the box, do you?)

And you don't REALLY think class action lawyers aren't mastur ... uh ... salivating over the prospect of suing anyone and everyone that's remotely in the supply chain when (not "if," "when") the first mass accident involving an autonomously driven vehicle occurs?
  • Reply to @mclaugh: I see your point. But don't many forms of public transportation already operate autonomously? Everything from hotel elevators to shuttle-trains ferrying passengers between different sections of airports? Surely the legalities could be worked out. Yes - I agree we need more lawyers:-)
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @mclaugh: "until somebody figures out a way to blind the sensors that feed data to the controller (does anyone REALLY believe the technology will be completely foolproof?) or LulzSec decides to have some "fun" and push a silent "patch" through an undocumented backdoor (What? You don't REALLY believe the software will be 100% bug free and completely secure right out of the box, do you?)"

-

Well, you also have to worry about everything going full Skynet.

-

They're making a video game called "Watch Dogs" focusing on a hacker vigilante who can hack into city operations (streetlights, power grid, bridges, other people's phones as he walks by, all sorts of things).

The game takes place in a "near future" version of Chicago where many city operations are handled by a central operating system.

There are already discussions of making a "Watch Dogs" movie.

-----------------

"What If?" Teaser

Trailer

• Reply to @scott: American Tower (AMT) and other cell tower companies continue to do well, although Google is now providing internet using balloons.
    Scott, balloons, like weather ?
    Thanks Derf
  • Reply to @hank: a not-insignificant difference is that elevators and shuttle trains are typically limited to one vehicle per track at any given time, move at predetermined speeds at every point along their route, have fixed routes and stopping points, and don't change tracks except at fixed locations (switches). You don't have hundreds or thousands of individual vehicles each trying to get to a different destination simultaneously. Also, all the shuttle systems I'm familiar with are centrally monitored by human controllers in real time who can adjust, and--if necessary--override, the programming of the individual trains or shut down the entire system if necessary. So I'm not sure automated elevators and shuttle systems are a meaningful point of comparison.
  • The more I hear about this the more I feel this is going to be a huge investment opportunity.
    Danger Will Robinson.
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @Derf: Great Wired article about the subject, which Google calls "Project Loon".

"The Untold Story of Google’s Quest to Bring the Internet Everywhere—By Balloon"
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/08/googlex-project-loon/