Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Study: Early Retirees Less Likely to Die !

TedTed
edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
FYI: It worked for me ! I retired at 55 and at 76 still on this side of the grass, however; in the last couple of years have developed CHF and COPD
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/encore/2013/08/23/study-early-retirees-less-likely-to-die/tab/print/

Comments

• LOL. Those early retirees aren't married, are they? LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH.
  • The article stated, " Researchers at the Tinbergen Institute of VU University Amsterdam studied the effects of a one-time policy decision in 2005 that allowed certain civil servants to retire at age 55 with benefits, versus the typical early retirement age of 61 or 62 and the full retirement age of 65."
    Key words appear to be: allowed and with benefits.
    Perhaps someone is doing a study on the affects upon those "forced to retire" early for a variety of reasons during the past 5 years, with or without immediate benefits. Downsizing still continues today.
  • "Study: early retirees less likely to die."

It appears that MW still employs the same editors and proofreaders who also priced gold by the barrel a few years back. What a joke of a website.

Death and Taxes, the certain things in life.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: What size barrel? Like maybe a winebarrel, or a 55-gal steel drum? I suppose if you had enough you could price it that way... :-)
  • So, (going from the title alone), the path to immortality is through early retirement.:)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: The writer was thinking oil when he/she was typing gold. The best part was they left the mistake up for days before correcting it. Many posters including myself never let them forget it though. There were a lot of gold bugs on the site so maybe a few had barrels of gold.
  • Reply to @Investor: Maybe they are trying to debunk Benjamin Franklin?

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
  • Reply to @Investor: I sure hope not. A long life in good health is fine, but from the way things seem to be heading now I think that it will be a good time to check out in maybe 15 or 20 years.
  • Keep up the good fight with those two afflictions Ted. Pulling for you and thanks for posting all the info and links.
  • Reply to @MourningStars: Yes- second your motion!
  • circa33,
    retired @55 1988. small postal pension due to
    lower salary back then. good health in idaho
    regards to all
    Bill