Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top-Ranked Fund Keeps a Low Profile...BRUFX

beebee
edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
Sometimes cavemen technology...you can only "mail in" contribution and request dispursments "by mailed check"...is the best way to control your emotions (ignoring the CNBC noise) and invest logically.
BRUFX
Anyone own a stake in this father and son manager success?

From the Article:

" Bruce Fund has kept one of the lowest profiles in the fund industry, while notching one of the strongest track records in Morningstar Inc.'s conservative-allocation category.

The father-and-son team that has managed the $364 million fund since its 1983 inception—Robert Bruce, 82, and Jeffrey Bruce, 53—rarely speak to the press and declined to comment for this story. They don't do any advertising or marketing. Fund shares are available only from the fund's transfer agent, not through any securities firms.

Bruce Fund has returned an average of 16.2% a year for the past 10 years, making it the top-ranked fund in its category, according to Morningstar."

Top-Ranked Fund Keeps a Low Profile...BRUFX

Comments

• Have owned the fund for several years when the NAV was in the high $200's, now over $400. You don't buy much for $1K when the NAV is in the high $200's. They just started having online access several years ago. Plan on keeping the fund as it has peformed fairly well.
  • Reply to @TheShadow:

I wonder with a share price that high if selling shares is based on a dollar amount or whole share amount? Online access...does this mean that you are able to buy and sell share via the internet? I am thinking of dedicated a portion of my Roth or self directed IRA to this fund. How have you found your experience with this hard to acess investment?
  • edited April 2013
    Reply to @bee: this fund and SEQUX were my first two forays out of my comfort zone of the TRP and Vanguard families, and I'm very happy with both. BRUFX definition of "online access" = view account details, history, and statements. Probably main reason AUM is <$400M. They are serious about only dealing with people with long horizons. Low initial of $1k, but additional minimum is $500. No AIP available. Also not for sale in TX or NE. I'm only willing to put up with all that for about one fund - and just barely. (for what it's worth, both Bruces have over $1M in fund.)
  • I have owned this fund for several years. It keeps chugging along and provides the bare minimum by way of shareholder reports in black and white. Recently sold PRPFX, which I used as part of my conservative allocation, but I'm sticking with the Bruce family.
  • I've owned a small number of shares of Bruce Fund for just over two years. My holding represents a 3% slice of my investment assets. I've been aware of this fund for a long time but didn't buy until recently. Can't own them all. Now that I'm in, I'm staying in. This fund seems to be popular with the posters on various forums. I like how they play "hard to get" by having us buy only directly from them.