Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

on the failure of focus

Long ago I developed a curiosity about whether focused / non-diversified / concentrated portfolios offered some distinctive advantage. The purest test I could imagine was finding paired sets of funds run by the same manager using the same strategy, one of which was a focused fund. Found five, one of which (ICAP / ICAP Select) is now dead.

Purely in total return, not risk-adjusted return, terms:

Ariel / Ariel Focus - Focus wins the 3-year race, loses the 5-year
Marsico / Marsico Focus - Focus wins 3-year and 5-year
Oakmark / Oakmark Select - Select loses 3-year and 5-year
Yacktman / Yacktman Focused - virtual tie for 3-year and 5-year, with Focus trailing by 15 bps

My interim conclusion: concentration is not a reliable tool for adding alpha. Am I missing fund pairs or an insight?

Comments

• I know a website where you can search for funds by their partial name, like select, or focus. :)
  • Interesting. If it was not a matter of choosing / strategy, and was in other words more random, you might expect that fewer (notionally 'best of the best') would invariably be better.
    Same as when you compare TR for XLG, VOO, and VONE 10-5-3-1y. Diworsification and all that.
  • @david_snowball I have tried to figure out how to capture concentration risk better for portfolios. I have not succeeded given the tools at hand. I am convinced however that most investors have few good ideas. All the money comes from those ideas and everything else is a go along waste of time. I would rather have managers focus than not focus. If they can't make money, then get out. But going with the non-focused is a waste of fees and money. It also doesnt taste a manager's level of conviction or investing skills. No person can have 75 good ideas for stocks and holding 1-1.5% per position is just blah.
  • Am I missing fund pairs or an insight?

Probably too new to provide meaningful performance insight are the three Vanguard Advice Select funds.

Vanguard 2021 launch announcement

In particular, Vanguard Advice Select Dividend Growth (VADGX) is described as "A more concentrated version of the strategy used in Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund."

VADGX / VDIGX - Select wins over lifetime (since 11/9/2021)

Another of the funds, Vanguard Advice Select International Growth (VAIGX) is described as using "as a more concentrated version of the strategy used in Vanguard International Growth Fund" (VWIGX). However, since management of the latter is split between Baillie Gifford and Schroeder, this isn't a good pairing for comparison.

But a comparison with Baillie Gifford International Growth (BGESX) may be apt, especially since the two BG managers of VWIGX are the two longest managers at BGESX. Though BGESX is concentrated (56 equity holdings, per M*), VAIGX is doubly focused, holding only 28 equity securities.

VAIGX / BGESX - Select wins over lifetime (since 11/9/2021), losing "only" 10.03%/year vs. an annualized 11.49% loss for the BG fund. Though the latter held the lead until February of this year.

IMHO what this really shows for Vanguard conspiracy theorists (I count myself among them) is that Vanguard is pushing investors either out or into managed accounts. These select funds are available only in managed accounts.

• edited July 10
    Not apples to apples, but a comparison where the manager uses an alternative strategy using specific stock picks compared to the same strategy using representative index ETFs would be Leuthold Core Investment, LCORX versus LCR. I would assume LCORX is picking their best stock picks represented in the LCR indexes.

Amazing to me, but using PerfCharts, it shows starting at LCR's inception, Jan 2020, to today, a bit over 4 1/2 years, LCR and LCORX both have the exact accumulated return, 39.6%. The trend lines don't lay exactly on top of each other, but close, and they end up with the same return.

I don't know what to make of this other than management's preferred stock picks (LCORX) don't return any more or any less than a comparative index (LCR). The gain or loss is in the management process.
  • edited July 10
    +1 @Devo.

I would add that if you are a bottom up only investor / fund, focus can hurt biggly. High conviction with no flexibility can be dangerous. Having an eye on macro / momentum, in addition to focused, bottom up approach, allows one to navigate better. Some of you know examples of funds that practice focused approach with multi year losses.
  • Wondering quietly, isn't a focused fund comprised of an existing fund by definition a different strategy?
  • edited July 10
    I compared SP50/XLG, SP100/OEF, SP500/IVV. All 3 had comparable SDs, but,

performance-wise, XLG < OEF < IVV.

I didn't expect that despite their ERs of 20 bps, 20bps, 3 bps, respectively.
    TestFol XLG OEF IVV MAX

Edit/Add. Performance for other timeframes,
    3 Years IVV < OEF < XLG
    5 Years IVV < OEF < XLG
    10 Years IVV < XLG < OEF
  • >> 10 Years IVV < XLG < OEF

??

Not when I graph TR $10k growth at Fidelity; rather, what you'd expect:

XLG $39,782; OEF $36,332; IVV $33,403
  • edited July 11
    @davidrmoran, I tried PV for 10 years, and the results were closer to your results. I double-checked TestFol and its numbers are the same as before.

It looks that TestFol has some error in the data for XLG and its numbers for XLG are consistently lower (compared with PV).

New picture with PV:

3 Years IVV < OEF < XLG
    5 Years IVV < OEF < XLG
    10 Years IVV < OEF < XLG
    That is what I was expecting because SP500 has become increasingly concentrated in mega-stocks. But at the time of my previous post, I didn't suspect errors in TestFol, so simply noted that the results were unexpected.

Edit/Add, 7/11/24. I contacted TestFol on this issue. It acknowledged the problem for XLG and fixed it promptly. Interestingly, my old linked runs now show the updated data for XLG (and they are now close to those from PV), but those for OEF and IVV are unchanged (i.e. I didn't have re-run those TestFol).

Many have now started using TestFol because after the recent update, FREE Portfolio Visualizer (PV) is quite limited or unfriendly. As this is sort of off topic for the OP, I won't post more here, but interested posters can find details at,
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/1550/thread
  • FAIRX comes to mind as a fund that succeeded as a focus fund and then for a combination of reason failed significantly.

Hennessy Japan Fund = HJPNX attempts to identify best Large Cap Japanese companies.
    HJPNX - 27 Holdings
  • ybb, maybe stick w (or at least doublecheck via) Fido and/or stockcharts?

(rather than post mistaken conclusions)
  • Recently made this comment on BB, it seems to be related to this topic:

“I have no aversion per se to concentrated funds (fewer than approximately 30 stocks). I’ve seen it work fine, but I’ve also seen it not work. For some reason, OAKMX has historically beaten OAKLX, which is worrisome: if a manager’s “best ideas” underperform ALL his ideas, then something’s got to be wrong… hmm?”
  • edited July 23
    Concentration by itself doesn't work. I have been using concentration + momentum + best risk/reward funds + being in the right wide-range categories.
    Since I started in 1995, there have been three long term cycles
    1995-2000 + 2010-2020 = US Large cap tilting growth
    2000-2010 = US Value, some small cap and some international

BTW, I changed the number of funds from 5 (2000-2018) to only 2-3 since retirement in 2018 because I can only find very limited great ideas.

You can read how I did it (here).
  • I think it would also be fair to say that the surviving focus/select funds that exist today or have long track records are standing on the corpses of many that have gone extinct as with most of the mutual fund industry but probably even more so when you have heavy concentration.
  • @mskursh.

"... the surviving focus/select funds that exist today or have long track records are standing on the corpses of many that have gone extinct..."

ouch.

"Standing on the shoulders of giants" is a metaphor I've embraced for years.

But corpses?

Never heard that before.

But maybe I should have.
  • I’ve had poor results from concentrated funds, the few that I’ve owned. However, I’ve had good results from some funds have more limited holdings— not concentrated but not sprawling either. Example, PRBLX. The problem with concentrated funds, IMHO, is they often perform differently than the overall markets. That’s great when they’re outperforming, but can be hard to stomach when they underperform for extended periods.
  • edited July 24
    IIRC, when I read Random Walk back in the 80's, Malakiel was saying you could build a diversified portfolio with 20-30 Stocks. He might have changed that over the years. After poking around on the internet, it seems many people agree.

Anyway, seems to me a concentrated, or focused, fund is something heavily weighted to one, maybe two, ideas. And you can have that problem no matter how many stocks are in the portfolio.

Given the number of examples in the OP, we could be dealing with random chance.
  • edited July 24
    I would check if there is a correlation for single vs multiple managers in the long term success of focused funds.
  • edited July 24
    The key word in Random Walk was COULD but why would anyone do it?
    The SP500 or VTI beat most manage stock funds and definitely individuals over long term.
    Malakiel, Bogle, and Buffett all agree.
    Add to it the fact that these fund managers are trained professionals who work 40 hours weekly.
    So why buy individual stocks?
    I can see an exception such as, take 10% of your portfolio and buy 5 stocks and let them run for decades.
    I have a good friend who invest $3000 in several stocks in early 90s, all trailed the SP500, except MSFT who made him 1.5 million.

--------

Many still miss a point. VOO,VTI can also be one of the 3-5 funds you select.
    I never believed in holding your funds for decades because leading categories change, market change, and good managers can start lagging, the reasons don't matter, they just lag.
    Finally, the execution matters, when to switch or not.
  • Charles said:

@mskursh.

"... the surviving focus/select funds that exist today or have long track records are standing on the corpses of many that have gone extinct..."

ouch.

"Standing on the shoulders of giants" is a metaphor I've embraced for years.

But corpses?

Never heard that before.

But maybe I should have.

not really a saying (I don't think) just something I typed as it came to me. what I find fascinating is that the industry does a fantastic job of making it seem like the mutual funds that are dead never existed in the first place.