Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Indonesian Volcano

edited April 18 in Off-Topic
(-/AFP/Getty Images)

Comments

• @Old_Joe The photo leaves me to ask. How much co2 is being leased into the air ?
    Going green ?
  • edited April 17
    Derf said:

@Old_Joe The photo leaves me to ask. How much co2 is being leased into the air ?
    Going green ?

What gases are emitted by Kīlauea and other active volcanoes?
    Ninety-nine percent of the gas molecules emitted during a volcanic eruption are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sulfur dioxide (SO2). The remaining one percent is comprised of small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, and other minor gas species.
    Which emits more carbon dioxide: volcanoes or human activities?

Human activities emit 60 or more times the amount of carbon dioxide released by volcanoes each year. Large, violent eruptions may match the rate of human emissions for the few hours that they last, but they are too rare and fleeting to rival humanity’s annual emissions. In fact, several individual U.S. states emit more carbon dioxide in a year than all the volcanoes on the planet combined do.
  • edited April 17
    Insanely beautiful
  • edited April 17
    @hank- yes. I couldn't think of any words that would do it justice.

@Anna- thanks for that... one reason that I love MFO is because I'm always learning something.
  • Yes, ditto. A worrisome fact, @Anna.
  • edited April 18
    @Anna : Where are you quoting your info from ? Recently received info pointing in the opposite direction, unfortunitly I can't find it & where the info was taken from was presented.
    Was should be wasn't & my e-mail might have been politically pointed.
  • @Derf If you open, read, or mouse-over those links, they are both dot_gov links. The first usgs_dot_gov, the second climate_dot_gov. So, your take on the information is really your opinion of information coming from federal agencies. I don't undo contradictions in today's world.
  • Thanks for your reply @Anna ; I came across this 2009 article & seems to me that what I read from an E-mail was politically motivated .
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-volcanoes-or-humans/
  • @hank - I couldn't have described it better.
  • Awesome! The picture also caught a lightning caused by volcanic ash being released into the atmosphere.