Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WBALX Weitz Conserv Allocation

edited February 6 in Fund Discussions
...Looking tempting, at first glance. A hair more bonds than equities, as reported by Mumplestar. WBALX.
This is another fund under consideration as the destination for our BRUFX money, which currently sits in a T-IRA.
BRUFX is allegedly "Moderately Aggressive." WBALX is "Moderately Conservative." But maybe that time has come for wifey and me. I read the Commentary provided at 2023 year-end on their website. Refreshingly candid, straightforward, no-nonsense. "The fund will not keep pace" when what happened in 4Q '23 is what happened. OK, then.

It is quite concentrated. But truly balanced between stocks and bonds. And the high quality bonds will balance-out all the junk we already own. Maybe... ;)

Comments

• You might look at FPACX. You can buy it as Schwab and Fido for $50. About the same 50/50 but with a lot of cash that they will deploy down to may 30% bonds. Probably a little more equity heavy than WBALX

There are other conservative funds that hold cash when things are so pricy and then can jump back in like MRFOX . It cam up on another thread and I dug into it and was impressed enough to buy some.

• Thanks for the reply, @sma3. :)
  • edited February 7
    sma3 said:

There are other conservative funds that hold cash when things are so pricy and then can jump back in like MRFOX . It cam up on another thread and I dug into it and was impressed enough to buy some.

Unfortunately, MRFOX cannot be traded at Fidelity.
    Fred

• yep

at Schwab or directly but Crash has BRUFX which can't be traded anywhere except at fund web site
  • edited February 8
    I’ve got several funds in the moderately conservative class that might be worth considering. Fidelity offering is FMSDX, which started out with phenomenal returns and is now more typical for the class. TRP’s higher income clone of PRWCX, which is PRCFX, is a new fund but starting out well. American fund’s tax-efficient fund, TAIFX, invests in dividend stocks and muni bonds. (They have a similar fund that invests in taxable bonds, but I don’t know the symbol.)
  • edited February 8
    In the Conservative Allocation and Moderately Conservative Allocation categories, take a look at PFRMX/PZRMX. Ranks 1-2 in Conservative Allocation cat for all 1-10-yr periods. VERY different composition so be sure to review it before investing!
  • stillers said:

In the Conservative Allocation and Moderately Conservative Allocation categories, take a look at PFRMX/PZRMX. Ranks 1-2 in Conservative Allocation cat for all 1-10-yr periods. VERY different composition so be sure to review it before investing!

Huge slug of cash they're holding. Wow. Naw, I'd rather be invested. Of course, some handy dry powder is a good idea. Not to mention the front-load on that puppy. Sucks wet hard ones. The selected fund must be no-load. :)
  • edited February 8
    deleted
  • edited February 8
    Crash said:

stillers said:

Huge slug of cash they're holding. Wow. Naw, I'd rather be invested. Of course, some handy dry powder is a good idea. Not to mention the front-load on that puppy. Sucks wet hard ones. The selected fund must be no-load. :)
    Did you really post "Sucks wet h&%d o&%s"?

Wow! I mean, WOW!

On all that I guess we disagree. Correction, no guessing, we disagree!

Let's get to the, um, facts, eh?

PZRMX is NTF, load waived at Fido and VG. (PFRMX is TF, Load, that's why I posted both!)
    PZRMX has ~7% Cash. PRWCX has ~6% cash - would you NOT invest in it?
    PZRMX is us UP 6%-7% YTD, depending on the source.
    The one dashboard item that shoulda been noted was its HUGE current allocation to RE.
    That's being invested in my book.
    YMMV (and apparently does!):)
  • https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/pzrmx/portfolio
    Shows 48% cash. If it's wrong, it's wrong.
    We are dealing directly with the selected fund-house, not through any broker. So, the infernal front-load would apply. That's my understanding.

Yes, I see what you mean about the Real Estate.
  • If you are looking for a sleep good, more conservative balanced fund, I think WBALX is a pretty good choice. I think it is a Great Owl fund, so an added positive track record to consider.

I considered WBALX when I was shopping for the same a few months ago, but ended up going with PRCFX. I would have suggested PRCFX, but I know you already know of it. And with you having close to 40% already invested with Giroux (PRWCX), another like-fund makes a lot of sense.

Good luck with your choice.
  • edited February 8
    That M* Cash data is from 12/31/22.
    The other M* data appears to be as current as we can get.
    To wit, the Fido data I quoted is from 09/30/23, common time delay for OEFs of 3-6 mos.
  • PMEFX, not off to a great start this year, but its 3-year record is encouraging if you want a fund that is not concentrated in large-cap funds.
  • stillers said:

That M* Cash data is from 12/31/22.
    The other M* data appears to be as current as we can get.
    To wit, the Fido data I quoted is from 09/30/23, common time delay for OEFs of 3-6 mos.

Thanks. That's exactly how Mumblestar has "earned" its less than wonderful reputation. Hardly up to date, not even with a 3 or 6-month lag. 12/31/22. Yikes.

I go to Mimplestar out of habit and convenience, but I know it can be unreliable. :)
  • Bobpa said:

PMEFX, not off to a great start this year, but its 3-year record is encouraging if you want a fund that is not concentrated in large-cap funds.

Appreciate the response! We are steering clear of small-caps. Too damn volatile for a buy-and-hold guy like me. (30 Nov. 2023: 17% "not classified?" in PMEFX. WTF? Is that maybe 100-year old Saurian brandy futures from Star Trek?)
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/r2OkF-Yck6Q
  • Crash said:

Bobpa said:

PMEFX, not off to a great start this year, but its 3-year record is encouraging if you want a fund that is not concentrated in large-cap funds.

Appreciate the response! We are steering clear of small-caps. Too damn volatile for a buy-and-hold guy like me. (30 Nov. 2023: 17% "not classified?" in PMEFX. WTF? Is that maybe 100-year old Saurian brandy futures from Star Trek?)
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/r2OkF-Yck6Q
    Not sure where you’re seeing “Not classified.” From their Q4 Fact Sheet:

Equity 35.3%
    HY Corporate 35.8%
    Investment Grade Corporate 25.8%
    Treasury 1.6%
    Cash 1.5%

• for taxable account, i've always been pleased w VTMFX. seems to hang in there pretty well even against shinier objects.
  • Crash, did you come to a final decision regarding WBALX?
  • Bobpa said:

Crash, did you come to a final decision regarding WBALX?

Yes. We are moving (T-IRA) BRUFX under Schwab's umbrella, along with the taxable brokerage account and my own IRA. That was not going to be what we originally had decided to do. BRUFX is wife's IRA. After the move, we'll exchange BRUFX for shares of WBALX. It's not going to shoot the lights out, by design. But that's OK. It's about 50/50 stocks/bonds. More tame. That prospects might serve to counteract the volatility of the single stocks in the portfolio. Single stocks = 14% of portfolio now.

Also looking for a seat at the table for (bonds) Weitz WCPNX.

• Crash, When I look at BRUFX it is easy to see why the under performance of late. No TECH and overweight Utilities and healthcare. The former doing great and the latter not so. Don't be surprised if you see a turnaround in the near future.
  • edited February 29
    Art said:

Crash, When I look at BRUFX it is easy to see why the under performance of late. No TECH and overweight Utilities and healthcare. The former doing great and the latter not so. Don't be surprised if you see a turnaround in the near future.

Thanks, Art. Yet I've also recently uncovered the fact that BRUFX is mostly Smid-caps. I am not liking the volatility of small and mid-caps. I'm in possession of quite enough of those, already--- regardless of which industry we look at. I suppose it is the SMALL-caps I particularly want to eschew.

Portf. X-Ray shows me at 15% of total stocks in small caps. BRUFX is 4+ percent of that. well, 4+ percent of total portfolio. BRUFX carries a nice 3+ percent YIELD, but no one is in that fund for the YIELD, eh? .....Another look shows BRUFX just 26% in SMIDs. Very well. And I appreciate it if BRUFX is not heavy (or at all) into the TECH names which I love to hate. But I'm impatient with the underperformance. By the same token, I dropped PRNEX because of its utter unwillingness to go anywhere. I think BRUFX has served its purpose by now. Time to move on from there. :)
  • A method to the madness. Go for it.