Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

YTD - how is your portfolio doing

13»

Comments

• Doing quite well... the CDs and Treasuries keep dribbling out money like a broken slot machine. I like money!
  • Old_Joe said:

Doing quite well... the CDs and Treasuries keep dribbling out money like a broken slot machine. I like money!

I’m loving the higher yields. I’m in no hurry for the Fed to drop rates. Every time a CD or Treasury matures, I just buy some more — often at higher yields.

• Tarwheel said:

Old_Joe said:

Doing quite well... the CDs and Treasuries keep dribbling out money like a broken slot machine. I like money!

I’m loving the higher yields. I’m in no hurry for the Fed to drop rates. Every time a CD or Treasury matures, I just buy some more — often at higher yields.

I tell people that if you don't like high (normal, actually) interest rates, then don't borrow money -- loan it. That's a bit tongue-in-cheek of course, because everybody cannot do that.

But I am getting tired of people complaining about 6-7% mortgage rates. My first mortgage, in 1975, was 8.5%.
  • With CDs maturing, it is a bit surprising (at least to me), that CDs have started ticking back to the 5+% level for the 1 year and 18 month durations. Along with 5+% level MMs, that gives a pretty attractive and safe array of investing options, with very minimal risk. I had expected to be pushed into bond oefs again, but now I am in no hurry to do that, with the principal from maturing CDs.
  • The mortgage on our first house was 10.5% in 1986. Our second house had a mortgage about 8%, but we refinanced to a 15-year loan at 6% a couple years later. We eventually paid it off at that rate.
  • edited February 17
    Low_Tech said:

But I am getting tired of people complaining about 6-7% mortgage rates. My first mortgage, in 1975, was 8.5%.

Heh, I remember being at 12%. Of course, the house did only cost $32,000!!

• Yep. 11.5% in the 80s The first house we bought ($35,000) however we assumed an FHA mortgage. The house was not our first choice, on a busy street etc, but we didnt want to hock our souls and then some to the Bank

Sold it two years later for $55,000. Only house we made much on. In CT we sold our house for 30% more than we paid for it, after 30 years. ugh
  • Low_Tech said:

Heh, I remember being at 12%. Of course, the house did only cost $32,000!!

My first house, with the 8.5% mortgage, was a 6 bedroom old farmhouse -- cost me $22,000 in 1975.

I bought a new '78 base Chevy pickup, sticker was a bit over $4,000. Oh well, I was earning big money then as a journeyman moldmaker at $9+ per hour.

I remember going to diners for lunch in the early-mid '70s, and a standard meal (burger or sandwich with drink) was around $1.50-1.60. We'd leave $2 and that covered the tip.

Nothing has really changed except the value of the dollar.
  • edited February 19
    Never have had a mortgage. I'll be 70 in July.
    Portfolio: I survived yesterday. A juicy ET dividend due on Feb. 20 has already appeared in the brokerage acct--- still in TRP. A week and a half longer, and the expected PSTL divvie will come. I'll drop that puppy, after that money settles in the account.

Performance: down on the day on Friday, up for '24 by just a fraction, still. Just about "even-Steven" from the end of '23.

Would you kill for love? Saw this one LIVE here, last night. A great evening.
    Money is not everything.

• YTD 4.13. Tech and Industrials still leading the way.
  • edited February 18

Photo & Article from this Week’s Barron’s

“Last week’s Investors Intelligence sentiment survey showed the highest percentage of self-described bulls since the summer of 2021. Market strategists have been raising year-end price targets for the S&P 500. The Cboe equity put/call ratio is about as low as it gets historically, meaning more bets on rising stock prices than falling. Fund flows have been strong, even with the S&P 500 trading at a demanding 20.5 times 12-month forward earnings.”

”The Stock Market Is Melting Up. Prepare for a Short-Term Correction.” - Nicholas Jasinski
    Barron’s 2/19/24
  • No argument from me.
  • edited February 18
    Crash said:

[snip]
    Saw this one LIVE here, last night. A great evening.
    Money is not everything.

Visited Pagliacci here, last night. A great experience.
    No clowning around!
    Pizza is not everything but...

https://www.pagliacci.com/order/products/113
  • Pagliacci premiered on May 21 1892, conducted by my all-time favorite conductor- Arturo Toscanini.
  • :)
    There was a fun pre-show here. Several people took part. Not cast members, just volunteers. Maybe paid volunteers? When I entered, there were two women all in red sequins. They were singing cabaret numbers, old standards. Then, boom: they broke into the Flower Duet song from Lakme. It was marvelous!
  • edited February 19
    Old_Joe said:

Pagliacci premiered on May 21 1892, conducted by my all-time favorite conductor- Arturo Toscanini.

How good was he in person?

• habsui said:

Old_Joe said:

Pagliacci premiered on May 21 1892, conducted by my all-time favorite conductor- Arturo Toscanini.

How good was he in person?

1892. Can't quite recall. ;)
  • My folks in their youth would decide to "run down" to the Met with my grandfather on the spur of the moment. Saw dozens of operas.

My grandfather was in Budapest on business in 1940 (!) and saw Franz Lehar dining with his lady. He loved the Merry Widow but didn't want to disturb them so he didn't tell him in person.
  • Must have been a moment to remember! And he DID. (1940. Yikes!)
  • edited February 21
    Just used Fido’s portfolio analyzer.

”The level of stock (equity) in your retirement accounts (38%) is generally not associated with someone your age, which may mean an inappropriate level of risk.”

Being alive is also generally not associated with someone my age.:)
  • LOL. Can anyone use that analyzer?
  • @Hank. That’s really funny. Thanks for making me laugh.