Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No surprise: M* with its head stuck where the sun don't shine.

(Email reply to me:)
Hello Gork,

Hope you are doing well.

In further reference to your email, we tried to replicate your issue and did not have any issue with the YTD performance numbers.

It would be so kind of you if you could please share a screenshot that would explain the error at your end. Alternatively, you may connect with us at 312-424-4288 for immediate assistance over the call.

Awaiting your reply.

--

Best regards,
Morningstar, Inc.

I can tell them about it, and explain it to them. But I can't understand it for them. They insist on a screenshot. Apple still hasn't found a way for me to take a screenshot that is simple enough for me. I suppose they want the screenshot to look at because they don't know what to do with words in the ENGLISH language. They are just pretending to be able to communicate. And this is what happens when Customer Service is the last priority.

I won't be pursuing this with them. Doink-brains. Glad I'm not PAYING them for anything!

Comments

• Which fund or stock ticker?
  • Which fund or stock ticker?

I've noticed for months and months, the YTD performance numbers at the bottom-right in the X-Ray tool has stale numbers for some of my holdings. I refer to the actual listing of the holdings in one's portfolio, underneath all of the other granular information.
    I dunno if the link below will "translate" at your end, and give you precisely what it is I want for you to see, in reply to your question. But I appreciate your response, yogi. :)

In particular, the YTD performance numbers HAVE NOT CHANGED since "forever" re: BHB, ET, and PSTL. I tell them about it, and they pretend the problem does not exist. They want to see a PICTURE. Screw 'em.

OK, here's the link:
    https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio-manager/x-ray

• "Apple still hasn't found a way for me to take a screenshot that is simple enough for me."

How simple do you need ??? -

Shift+Command+3... you simultaneously hold down those three keys, which then automatically takes a screenshot of the entire screen. That's all... this isn't "simple enough" ???

Then you attach the screenshot file to an email and send it to wherever.

-or-

• In the Finder, on the top toolbar, click on "Help".
    • Then choose "Mac Help".
    • In Mac Help ask about Screenshots. It's all right there.

What the hell more do you want?
  • So @Crash, they looked into your problem, could not duplicate the problem with the information you gave them, they offer to continue to look into the problem if you help them out with a screen shot, and they do all this even though you aren't paying them a cent... and your mad at them? Ok then.
  • And if you don't want all of your screen to be seen you can do shift plus command plus 3 all at once. You can then, using the cursor, trace the part of the screen you wish to be included in the screen shot. but yes Old Joe's whole screen capture is simpler.
    Old_Joe said:

"Apple still hasn't found a way for me to take a screenshot that is simple enough for me."

How simple do you need ??? -

Shift+Command+3... you simultaneously hold down those three keys, which then automatically takes a screenshot of the entire screen. That's all... this isn't "simple enough" ???

Then you attach the screenshot file to an email and send it to wherever.

-or-

• In the Finder, on the top toolbar, click on "Help".
    • Then choose "Mac Help".
    • In Mac Help ask about Screenshots. It's all right there.

What the hell more do you want?

• @Ben- that's actually Shift+Command+4 for that sort of thing. I use that all the time.

@Crash- you know that we are in close agreement on the really important stuff, but sometimes you drive me crazy.:)
  • Old_Joe said:

@Ben- that's actually Shift+Command+4 for that sort of thing. I use that all the time.

@Crash- you know that we are in close agreement on the really important stuff, but sometimes you drive me crazy.:)

:)
    The issue by now is not screenshots, or whether or not I'm a paying customer. As far as THEY know, I'm a paying customer. The X-Ray tool is provided to me via TRP.

The issue has BECOME the utter and total lack of their ability to communicate. Makes me wonder whether my "contact" at their end is actually a human, or a hermaphrodite from the Planet Tralfamador. Apparently, they've (he/she) learned enough to be able to MIMIC written speech so that they can APPEAR to be saying something.

Done, finished. Concluded. No more time spent on my part expecting an INTELLIGENT response from them.

OJ, no one has ever told me about the simple 3-key trick. I'll give it a try soon.
  • edited January 20
    Why not google it? I found this link in 3 seconds and I never owned any Apple products.
    (https://support.apple.com/en-us/102646)

I love working on my laptop attached to a 24" monitor a lot more than my phone.
  • Whoops. That was my typo that I should have caught. Thanks for catching it.
    Old_Joe said:

@Ben- that's actually Shift+Command+4 for that sort of thing. I use that all the time.

• edited January 20
    @Crash - Maybe bring me up to speed … What are your primary uses of M*? Is that your main portfolio tracker?

Gosh - there’s lots of alternatives, including dedicated apps - but I realize it’s hard to “change horses” midstream. Long ago I went to 2 separate trackers (both paid apps) for when the inevitable “hiccup” occurs. I do look at M*’s breakdown of fund holdings. But sometimes they aren’t accurate if you compare them to what the fund publishes. The ability to X-Ray holdings is nice. I see above now where you use that.

For the price (0) I have no beef with M*. I read a lot of their fund ratings and reviews and suspect they lean too much on recent (3-5 year) performance in drawing conclusions. But don’t we all? :)
  • They also offered to have me call. 312 Area Code, Chicago. No doubt, I'd waste a ton of time on that, too. No, thanks. What I have run into with them is consistent with all companies and corporations today: zero actual communication. Add to that, what I suspect is lack of fluency in English.

Speak any language you want, I don't care. But when you offer to assist ME, it needs to be in English. Which means you need to be able to understand written English, of the sort I have sent to you, dear Morningstar, in two separate emails.

Yes, I consult the Portfolio Manager and the X-Ray tool quite a bit. Morningstar's stinky performance and lack of ability to communicate will not change my life. But when you offer to assist, then prove that you are incapable of doing so, I just wanna start throwing grenades in your direction. @hank.
  • edited January 20
    I just wanna start throwing grenades in your direction. @hank.

OK - Thanks. I’ll stand clear.:)

Thanks for filling me in @Crash. Good luck there.