Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• The word of "manufacture" is spot on...
  • edited December 2023
    I feel as if we are now living in two different countries... "theirs", and "ours". Other than commercial ties there seems to be very little overlap between the two. If this continues to evolve, I wouldn't be at all surprised to eventually see a semi-peaceful breakup of what used to be the "united" states into two separate entities, to the diminishment of both.

At the rate that the situation is deteriorating, again I wouldn't be surprised to see this occur within the next fifty years. The rats are gnawing at the support beams, and unless something changes they will eventually bring down the house.
  • Old_Joe said:

I feel as if we are now living in two different countries... "theirs", and "ours". Other than commercial ties there seems to be very little overlap between the two. If this continues to evolve, I wouldn't be at all surprised to eventually see a semi-peaceful breakup of what used to be the "united" states into two separate entities, to the diminishment of both.

At the rate that the situation is deteriorating, again I wouldn't be surprised to see this occur within the next fifty years. The rats are gnawing at the support beams, and unless something changes they will eventually bring down the house.

Agreed. I've perceived that such an impression is correct, and has been in the offing now, for decades already. It started with Gingrich the Newt as House Speaker and his extremist games, pushing and pushing against acceptable norms, and the connected rhetoric. Or, maybe take it back to Ronny Ray-guns, whose expertise at deliberate mischaracterization was peerless. And they call him the "Great Communicator," LOL.

These days, the pretexts and prevarications are naked and shamelessly absurd. And why do you think the Orange Disgrace STILL holds so much support? They don't CARE what is sensible and correct, they just want to blow up the System, and let the pieces fall where they may. The same sort of "thinking" that was operative when those voters, back in 2015 and 2016, expressed support for EITHER the Trumpster OR Sanders! Even though the two of them could not be further apart, politically. "It doesn't have to make sense; I just wanna destroy everything!"

The Repugnant Party Insurgency today is Exhibit A when it comes to illustrating the stupidity and amoral approach of too many American voters.
  • "they just want to blow up the System, and let the pieces fall where they may"

Yes.