Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the December issue of MFO

2»

Comments

• Since we are the older demographic, our doctors recommend the above vaccination. Face mask is still required in doctor and dentist offices, and we are glad they are still taking the necessary precaution.
  • edited December 2023
    I'm following this string even though I I have never tested positive for covid. Something that came to mind:

I understand that vaccines aren't going to stop you from getting any of the covid strains and I know it's value is to limit the effect or severity to an individual, especially older people. What I've never heard is if the vaccine reduces the chance of getting long-covid. Does anyone know or heard anything about that?

I also would be curious for those of you who said you had or know people that have had longer effects, were you or they current with updated vaccines?
  • edited December 2023
    Outlier here (What’s new?). At 78 I go about activities including travel, theater, shopping, social events pretty much as before the Covid pandemic. My heart goes out to all who suffered, continue to suffer or lost loved ones. I avail myself of any and all vaccines for anything that come out (covid updates, flu, RSV, shingles, pneumonia, etc.) And I am much more focused on frequent hand washing than before. Being single I don’t have to worry about a spouse or child getting infected. I can see where that would factor into someone’s decision making. Further, being “under the weather” from from time to time doesn’t impact the “unemployed” (myself) the way it would a full time professor, author or physician. An important distinction.

I think @Baseball_Fan was on-track with his healthy living emphasis. It won’t keep you from getting ill, but might lessen the seriousness of the episode, make recovery faster or make some necessary treatments less risky. (Just back from a brisk 4+ mile walk near the water with about a 35-40 mph gale blowing. Felt great!).

I post only to suggest there are different perspectives on the broader issue, depending on one’s overall health, age, situation and willingness to accept a degree of risk in their daily living in return for partaking of various life enhancing activities. Not an easy decision. No 1 size fits all.
  • edited December 2023
    I remained Covid-free until September, although my wife has had two infections, the second along with mine. Paxlovid really did help. As retirees, we were able to curtail our social interactions without suffering economic losses. Family gatherings did suffer from irritating cancellations. Were it not for Zoom, my contact with some groups I belong to would have disappeared. In fact, I still use Zoom, along with several older folks who may be compromised, and am truly grateful for the technology.
  • @old Joe. Maybe adjust to circumstances...maybe go to a free outdoor concert in the park nearby and don't sit near anyone, keep some space. Sure not the SF Symphony but you'd probably still enjoy it.

My wife and I go to minor league baseball games during Monday or Tuesday nites, less attendance and don't sit near anyone. Not perfectly safe but still trying to live life

Hey, a lot less money too..lol

Best regards

Baseball fan
  • Amazingly it appears almost 10% of the US population has not had even ONE covid vaccination!
  • @Baseball_Fan- Thanks for the suggestions- when the weather warms up a bit we may just do some of that stuff.

Good holidays to you-
    OJ
  • Anti-vaxers = childish, dangerous people. ought to be penalties.