Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

giving thanks

We seem forever in search of the gray clouds that must surely envelop our silver linings. I'm feeling rather more thankful than gray today.

For the fact that stores are closed today and families together, thanks. I know it was triggered by the pandemic, but it seems a fundamentally healthy reminder that we don't need to consume constantly and might want to connect with people instead.

For the fact that unemployment is near historic lows for people both black and white, and wages are near the highest rate this century, I'm thankful. More young people need to find a path to a life that requires only one job and offers a safe home (a third of young adults now live with their parents which is great if it's a planned multi-generational home, less great if it's a last resort), perhaps from an economy less enchanted by billionaires than by thousandaires.

For the fact that the US will produce 4.7 billion tons of CO2 this year ... down by 25% from 2006, likely down again next year, with the energy sector producing the lowest emissions since 1974, thanks. Our survival hinges on doing more, but we are doing.

For the fact that Chip and Will and I will share dinner tonight, cooking and eating, cleaning and talking, all together and in reasonably good health, I'm endlessly thankful.

Likewise, for the stack of unread books beside my chair and unopened wine in the basement.

For the fact that you are here, and reading this. The people we interview - managers and others - sometimes marvel at the quality of work we produce, uncompensated. And I've tried to be patient and amiable in explaining to them that compensation comes in many forms ... in community and exchange, banter and comfortable retreats ... not all of which are reported to the IRS.

And for role in that, most especially, thanks from all the folks behind the curtain.

Comments

• edited November 2023
    David and Chip-

Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving, and many thanks for this marvelous site which I frequently use, and with your tolerance, occasionally abuse.
  • Happy Thankgiving. I've learnt a lot from all of you and enjoyed the conversations.
  • Thanks David. I am thankful and appreciative for all that you and your team continue to do month after month.
  • Not much I can add. Blessings upon you.
  • I hope y'all have plenty of leftovers to enjoy.:)
  • Love to you all. You have been so good to this troll over the years.
  • @David and Chip, thank you for making this site so wonderful.
  • @david and Chip and everyone else here

Happy Thanksgiving indeed for the best mutual fund site on the web, and for all the lively ideas and suggestions.
  • sma3 said:

@david and Chip and everyone else here

Happy Thanksgiving indeed for the best mutual fund site on the web, and for all the lively ideas and suggestions.

Hear, here!!! (Or, 'here, hear!!' if you want....)
  • edited November 2023
    I am wealthier in many ways for this site. Thanks to everyone.
  • MFO is on my gratitude list. Many thanks to the people behind the scenes and to the talented contributors.
  • Thanks to all the posters who make an effort to keep MFO a civil place to exchange useful information and to keep the trolls in check.
  • I must echo the statements already provided here for everyone involved in the monthly commentary, to @Charles for his tireless efforts developing and maintaining the MFO ratings tool; and to all who provide the never ending contributions that help us all be smarter investors and better people. I've recently learned more about instant coffee and coffee related than I could have imagined, in the OT section.:) A full service site, indeed.
    A sincere thank you.
    Catch