Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wall Street up to its old games to shift risk

edited November 2023 in Other Investing
Gee, this sounds strangely - and disturbingly- familiar.....as the coda to 'The Big Short' notes, even as the dust was settling from the GFC, banks already were exploring the sale of CDOs under different names like "bespoke debt tranche instruments." History may not repeat, but it sure does rhyme, which also suggests the WSJ is being somewhat disingenuous in calling this a 'new' thing.

Big Banks Cook Up New Way to Unload Risk
Banks are selling risk to hedge funds, private-equity firms through so-called synthetic risk transfers

U.S. banks have found a new way to unload risk as they scramble to adapt to tighter regulations and rising interest rates.

U.S. Bank and others are selling complex debt instruments to private-fund managers as a way to reduce regulatory capital charges on the loans they make, people familiar with the transactions said.

These so-called synthetic risk transfers are expensive for banks but less costly than taking the full capital charges on the underlying assets. They are lucrative for the investors, who can typically get returns of around 15% or more, according to the people familiar with the transactions.

< - >

The deals function somewhat like an insurance policy, with the banks paying interest instead of premiums. By lowering potential loss exposure, the transfers reduce the amount of capital banks are required to hold against their loans

< - >

Banks started using synthetic risk transfers about 20 years ago, but they were rarely used in the U.S. after the 2008-09 financial crisis. Complex credit transactions became harder to get past U.S. bank regulators, in part because similar instruments called credit-default swaps amplified contagion when Lehman Brothers failed.

Regulators in Europe and Canada set clear guidelines for the use of synthetic risk transfers after the crisis. They also set higher capital charges in rules known as Basel III, prompting European and Canadian banks to start using synthetic risk transfers regularly.

U.S. regulations have been more conservative. Around 2020, the Federal Reserve declined requests for capital relief from U.S. banks that wanted to use a type of synthetic risk transfer commonly used in Europe. The Fed determined they didn’t meet the letter of its rules.

< - >

https://www.wsj.com/finance/banking/bank-synthetic-risk-transfers-basel-endgame-62410f6c

Comments

• edited November 2023
    My goof. Sorry. I cannot get the comprehensive page from Wikipedia to link. Never had this happen before.

• Surely JPMorgan Chase, USA has neither been bankrupt nor acquired, at least in our version of possibly parallel universes.
  • I think that list includes acquirers as well as acquired and bankrupt banks.

I had an a/c at NetBank when it failed. Its buyout by EverBank had fallen through. As part of the FDIC rescue, it was acquired by ING Direct (anyone remember that?), and that was acquired by Capital One when Dutch rescue of ING required its withdrawal from most foreign operations. That is how I got a Capital One a/c.

EverBank itself was acquired by TIAA a few years ago and was renamed TIAA Bank. TIAA had 2nd thoughts and has now spun off EverBank, so it exists again.
  • edited November 2023
    Old_Joe said:

Surely JPMorgan Chase, USA has neither been bankrupt nor acquired, at least in our version of possibly parallel universes.

Absolutely correct sir. Sorry for the mix-up. I’ve deleted the false narrative and linked a chart instead. J.p. morgan was an acquiring bank in one or more of the failures / closings.

I’ve tried repeatedly to link the correct list from Wikipedia. Just won’t take on various devices. Sorry.

Yes, of course, as Yogi said, the list included acquiring banks. If I have time tonight I’ll try to get a good link to stick.

• edited November 2023
    ”Here is a list of banks in the United States that were affected by the 2007-2008 financial crisis. The list includes banks (including commercial banks, investment banks, and savings and loan associations) that have been taken over or merged with another financial institution, been declared insolvent or liquidated, or filed for bankruptcy 12.” (Chat GPT)

Bank Name / Followed by Acquirer (if applicable)

First National Bank of Nevada Mutual of Omaha Bank
    First Heritage Bank, NA Mutual of Omaha Bank
    IndyMac Bank FDIC
    First Priority Bank SunTrust Bank
    ANB Financial, NA Pulaski Bank and Trust Company
    Hume Bank Security Bank
    Douglass National Bank Pulaski Bank and Trust Company
    Miami Valley Bank The Citizens Banking Company
    First Integrity Bank Regions Bank
    Columbian Bank and Trust FDIC
    Silver State Bank Nevada State Bank
    Integrity Bank Regions Bank
    The Columbian Bank and Trust FDIC
    First Georgia Community Bank United Bank
    PFF Bank and Trust US Bank
    Downey Savings and Loan US Bank
    The Community Bank Bank of Essex
    Security Pacific Bank Pacific Premier Bank
    Franklin Bank Prosperity Bank
    Freedom Bank Fifth Third Bank
    Alpha Bank & Trust Stearns Bank
    Meridian Bank Central Bank
    Main Street Bank Bank of Advance
    Alliance Bank Royal Bank of Canada
    County Bank The Bank of Fayette County
    FirstBank Financial Services Regions Bank
    National Bank of Commerce Sunflower Bank
    Bank of Clark County Umpqua Bank
    Sanderson State Bank First State Bank
    Haven Trust Bank Branch Banking and Trust Company
    Corn Belt Bank and Trust Company The Farmers Bank of Liberty
    Riverside Bank of the Gulf Coast TIB Bank
    American Southern Bank Premier American Bank
    First National Bank of Arizona Mutual of Omaha Bank
    FirstCity Bank Alma Bank
    Colorado National Bank Bank Midwest
    First State Bank of Altus Herring Bank
    First National Bank of Danville First Financial Bank
    First National Bank of Anthony Bank of Kansas
    First State Bank Mutual of Omaha Bank
    FirstCity Bank Alma Bank
    Colorado National Bank Bank Midwest
    First State Bank of Altus Herring Bank
    First National Bank of Danville First Financial Bank
    First National Bank of Anthony Bank of Kansas
    First State Bank Mutual of Omaha Bank
    FirstCity Bank Alma Bank Colorado

I asked Bing’s Chat GPT to assist me in a difficult situation. The above is the list he / she / it compiled in a minute’s time, along with the opening narrative it provided. (I pray it is accurate.)
  • holy cow. Along with Bear Stearns. Lehman. Merrill. Julius Baer? and the beat goes on.
    Actor James Cromwell portrays Hank Paulson in this one. Anyone but me seen it? I wonder how true to life it is, the portrait of Paulson, offered in that movie? He and uncle GWB presided over the bubble and crash, eh?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1495980/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_44_act

• Crash said:

holy cow. Along with Bear Stearns. Lehman. Merrill. Julius Baer? and the beat goes on.
    Actor James Cromwell portrays Hank Paulson in this one. Anyone but me seen it? I wonder how true to life it is, the portrait of Paulson, offered in that movie? He and uncle GWB presided over the bubble and crash, eh?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1495980/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_44_act

I saw it but dont' really remember it. Might need to re-acquire it for my financial movies collection.

'Too Big To Fail' was another post-GFC flick that had a pretty good cast, too. And then for something on the semi-satirical side, there's always 'The Big Short.'
  • Crash said:

...And "Margin Call." I liked the cast in that one, too.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615147/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_margin%20call

Great film. Loved, loved, loved the boardroom scene!