Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

High yield long term CDs

I saw a 5.8% yield on a 10 year CD through my Fidelity brokerage account.
The bank can call the rate and I haven’t checked the penalty for early withdrawal but I imagine it would be harsh.
I assume the chances of the bank keeping the rate at 5.8 are slim to none seeing as how interest rates are bound to dip sooner than later.
Which begs the question why would anyone invest in a CD under these conditions? And why would a bank even offer such a high rate knowing fully well it will most likely go down in the current state of the economy.
I want to invest in a 5 or 10 year CD as I am nearing retirement and am in a preservation state of mind. I would take a 5% rate in a heartbeat.

Comments

• edited November 2023
    Fido has 5 year "call protected" CDs for as high as 5.05% (issued by Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley). Those are worthy of consideration. I ignore all the callable CDs for reasons you mention.
  • Would you be interested in something like 4.8% ? T-notes ?
  • Jan said:

I saw a 5.8% yield on a 10 year CD through my Fidelity brokerage account.
    The bank can call the rate and I haven’t checked the penalty for early withdrawal but I imagine it would be harsh.
    I assume the chances of the bank keeping the rate at 5.8 are slim to none seeing as how interest rates are bound to dip sooner than later.
    Which begs the question why would anyone invest in a CD under these conditions? And why would a bank even offer such a high rate knowing fully well it will most likely go down in the current state of the economy.
    I want to invest in a 5 or 10 year CD as I am nearing retirement and am in a preservation state of mind. I would take a 5% rate in a heartbeat.

You should fully research the penalties for early withdrawal before you invest. Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley both pay 5.05%, for 5 year, non-callable CDs, through Fidelity. However, the penalties for early withdrawal will be very different as "brokerage" offered CDs at Fidelity, compared to the penalties you would pay if bought them directly from the banks.
  • edited November 2023
    @Jan: "I saw a 5.8% yield on a 10 year CD through my Fidelity brokerage account.
    The bank can call the rate and I haven’t checked the penalty for early withdrawal but I imagine it would be harsh..."

Unlike CDs issued directly by banks to customers, there is not a "penalty (per se) for early withdrawal" of brokerage CDs. That's not the mechanics of a brokerage CD - you cannot just withdraw your money.

If you want out of a brokerage CD before maturity, you must list it for sale on the "Secondary Issues" market.

There are currently hundreds/thousands (?) of Fido brokerage CDs that owners no longer want to own. Virtually none of them are selling now, and haven't been selling for many months. Owners are generally asking far too much for their unwanted CDs and investors are far more apt to buy "New Issues."

Aside: FWIW, I've made a bunch of easy money over the years playing in the "Secondary Issues" market, but have been unable to score a worthy BUY there all of 2023.

Bottom Line: If you BUY a brokerage CD, be reasonably certain (read "absolutely certain") that you WILL hold it to maturity. Your "penalty" for wanting out of it is effectively the inability to sell it on the "Secondary Issues" market and you being stuck with it until maturity. In a best case scenario, you might be lucky enough in the current market to SELL it for a substantial discount (loss).

And FWIW, "callable" is a proverbial four-letter word to me - I have/would NEVER buy or own one.
  • @stillers : Thanks for the info. Would you mind commenting more on what would be a good buy on the secondary market & how to figure out what one's profit would be.
    Thanks for your time, Derf
  • edited November 2023
    ”That's not the mechanics of a brokerage CD - you cannot just withdraw your money. If you want out of a brokerage CD before maturity, you must list it for sale on the "Secondary Issues" market.”

Thanks @Stillers / One of your better posts.

As a cash resistant investor, I continue to try and get my head around this exotic land of constrained cash. ISTM that something having a fixed rate, a fixed duration and able to be sold only on the secondary market constitutes a bond. What am I missing here?

Anybody know how today’s sharp dip in rates across the board is affecting CDs? I’d imagine a bit of a crunch to get in the door before rates drop further. Are 1 & 2 year CD’s above 5% still available?
  • edited November 2023
    Derf said:

@stillers : Thanks for the info. Would you mind commenting more on what would be a good buy on the secondary market & how to figure out what one's profit would be. Thanks for your time, Derf

Sure, but keep in mind, there have been very few good opportunities, if any, in the (Fido, at least) Secondary Issues market over the past several months. We'll find out whassup with the current offerings via this exercise! A coupla rungs drop off my ladder this month so let's get it on!

NOTE: There is a LOT to know about all this. I'll try to provide the whole enchilada but will surely miss some stuff that perhaps can be resolved via questions.

NOTE: Fido has a very worthy Fixed Income Desk filled with some of the sharpest minds I've ever encountered on all things Fixed Income. Suggest using them as your ultimate source. Depending on workload, they may very well walk you through the scoping. But better to have done some work yourself in advance, allowing you to compare what you developed as a possible BUY to what they KNOW are the best offerings on the table! And no, I'm not providing their number here - readily available by calling main Fido number.

NOTE: BUYing on the Secondary Issues market is a wee bit different than New Issues as respect to your funds flows. You may BUY a 3.00% CP, 3-yr CD for a whopping discount and earn IN TOTAL more than a New Issue 5.15%. The difference? You will be able to internally book a potentially BIG time interest gain at time of BUY, but you'll have 3.00% interest payments over the life of the CD versus the 5.15%. On the flip side, you'll have the Discount in your pocket at the time of the BUY to invest wisely (sic) elsewhere.

Alright, off we go...
    First, you need to have a Fido a/c to even view the Secondary Issues offerings.
    (Same CDs are usually available on both Fido and VG. No experience with other platforms.)

On top ribbon, go to News & Research
    Then Fixed Income, Bonds & CDs
    Then CDs & Ladders
    Then Secondary CDs (Link is under the current rates)
    Enter your Maturity Dates (I'll use 11/2023 to 12/2026, 3-yr, for this exercise)
    Note that the highest rate on New Issue 3-yr Call Protected CDs is currently 5.15%
    So that will guide me to look for something better than 5.15%
    Enter at least 5.15% as the minimum Ask Yield to Worst
    At the Show More Criteria link
    Enter a Price & Coupon max of something near but under 100 (I'm using 99.908)
    NOTE: Anything above this ain't worth looking at - selling at a Premium!
    Select Yes for Call Protection
    Enter other desired variables there if any
    Press See #### CUSIPS
    You are now In The Game!

Sort data in descending order by Ask column, Price and/or Yield to Worst
    Note: Anything priced at/above 99 might be a worthy BUY but that's a general line of demarcation (so-to-speak) to gauge the overall opportunities. I'm always trying to score under say 99 and change, but of course that generally means you are living with a pretty low Coupon CD for its life.

NOTE: Some/many following along are likely getting a wee bit confused by now but it all shakes out in the end!

And to address one other part of the question here...
    I'm always shooting for something that's worth my time and effort to qualify as a "good buy."
    YMMV.

I've netted anywhere from a % or 2 to upwards of 4%-5% extra proceeds over the years. For example, one BUY I still have the detail on shows I paid $47,739 (priced at 92.931) for a $50,000 CD for an effective Discount of 4.52%. Yeah, after all of the funds slushed through over the CD's life, that was worth my time and effort!

Gonna post this much now so this stuff ain't lost.
    Will follow-up with another post picking up from here.
  • edited November 2023
    Old_Joe said:

@stillers- Nice job.

Thanks.

I made a bunch of Edits in there, so in case anyone is following along you might want to re-read it. Will try to get back to this later today or tomorrow.
  • I’ve been laddering CDs to minimize the risk of selling before maturity. So I’ve got CDs maturing about every 3 months on the short end and 6-12 months on the long end. When I first started buying CDs last winter, I didn’t realize the distinction between callable and noncallable issues. I bought a few callable CDs on the long end because of their higher yields, but none have been called in yet. All of my more recent purchases have been noncallable, but I would consider buying callable CDs with shorter terms on the assumption that they are unlikely to be called.

I’ve got a fair amount of cash in Fidelity money markets but their yields could drop very quickly if interest rates start falling. I’ve also been laddering Treasuries but their yields are generally lowering than CDs and they are more troublesome to buy (although easier to sell before maturity.)
  • @stillers : "
    I've netted anywhere from a % or 2 to upwards of 4%-5% extra proceeds over the years. For example, one BUY I still have the detail on shows I paid $47,739 (priced at 92.931) for a $50,000 CD for an effective Discount of 4.52%. Yeah, after all of the funds slushed through over the CD's life, that was worth my time and effort! "
    First question , how long did you have to hold this CD in order to collect the $50K ?

Holding period would have some bearing on how good of a deal it was.

Wouldn't the brokerage take advantage on this instead of passing it down to it's customers ?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated.
  • Derf said:

@stillers : "
    I've netted anywhere from a % or 2 to upwards of 4%-5% extra proceeds over the years. For example, one BUY I still have the detail on shows I paid $47,739 (priced at 92.931) for a $50,000 CD for an effective Discount of 4.52%. Yeah, after all of the funds slushed through over the CD's life, that was worth my time and effort! "
    First question , how long did you have to hold this CD in order to collect the $50K ?

Wouldn't the brokerage take advantage on this instead of passing it down to it's customers ?

My opinion of brokerage education about CD investing is not that good. When I have engaged in communication with brokerage experts on CDs, they fail to do a good job comparing the differences between brokerage CDs and bank CDs, fail to do a good job of explaining ongoing value fluctuations of brokerage CDs that are reflected at the end of each trading day, fail to explain termination fee information for brokerage CDs, fail to address liquidity concerns for brokerage CDs in taxable accounts vs tax deferred accounts, fail to discuss ways of measuring the financial health of banks offering CDs on the brokerage platform, fail to discuss callable vs. non-callable CDs, etc. etc.

These threads about CDs, started by posters with limited knowledge about brokerage CDs, can be very complicated, especially when the OP provides minimal information about the details of their personal financial situation and investing objectives.

• edited November 2023
    Derf said:

Sure. That CD was 3-yr term.

But think of it this way. We're talking guaranteed, FDIC'd, fixed income. An investor has made a decision to lock up $50K for 3 years. The only real question is, "Does the investor want to spend a wee bit more time on the BUY to possibly earn MORE on it?" If "Yes"...

To wit...
    As of yesterday, Fido had New Issue, CP, 5.15%, 3-yr CDs available.

An investor spends 15 minutes scoping out Secondary Issues, and finds a CP, 4.0%, 3-yr, CD that someone is selling for a whopping discount, that has an effective yield of (ANYTHING ABOVE 5.15% but let's say) 5.50%. The investor BUYs the latter.

Over 3 years, total earnings on the former is $7,725 and $8,250 on the latter, for a difference of $525. (As NOTED in my first post on this thread, the mechanics of the the latter also gives the investor MORE $ at time of BUY via the discount.) That money can also be invested, or spent!

The only REAL question THEN is,
    "Was $525 more in total earnings over 3 years worth the investor's 15 minutes?
    FWIW, I answer "Yes" to that every day of the week. YMMV.

Not sure I understand your notion here.

Brokerages are just the middle men in CD transactions. On a $50K CD BUY, Fido gets a ($ based) $50 Commission. The Commission is included in the above-noted numbers.

You're welcome.
    Busy day. Might be able to add more over the weekend.

• Curious development with regard to new issue CDs available at Fidelity today. I’m setting up another 5-year CD ladder in our taxable account so we’ll have cash available to pay property taxes near the end of each year. Yesterday, there were a bunch of noncallable 2-year CDs available paying about 5.4%. They all disappeared overnight, and I could find only one noncallable 2-year CD paying 5.3%. I ended up buying a 21-month CD yielding 5.4%, but don’t understand why all the 2-years disappeared overnight.
  • Tarwheel said:

Curious development with regard to new issue CDs available at Fidelity today. I’m setting up another 5-year CD ladder in our taxable account so we’ll have cash available to pay property taxes near the end of each year. Yesterday, there were a bunch of noncallable 2-year CDs available paying about 5.4%. They all disappeared overnight, and I could find only one noncallable 2-year CD paying 5.3%. I ended up buying a 21-month CD yielding 5.4%, but don’t understand why all the 2-years disappeared overnight.

Someone with lots of cash and expectation of interest rates falling down could have mopped all those issues. Also, Banks that issued them might be cancelling unsold issues if they see rates falling.
  • edited November 2023
    Tarwheel said:

Curious development with regard to new issue CDs available at Fidelity today. I’m setting up another 5-year CD ladder in our taxable account so we’ll have cash available to pay property taxes near the end of each year. Yesterday, there were a bunch of noncallable 2-year CDs available paying about 5.4%. They all disappeared overnight, and I could find only one noncallable 2-year CD paying 5.3%. I ended up buying a 21-month CD yielding 5.4%, but don’t understand why all the 2-years disappeared overnight.

Hmmm...not really all that "curious" to some investors at least.

You may have missed that @hank duly asked on Nov 2:

Anybody know how today’s sharp dip in rates across the board is affecting CDs? I’d imagine a bit of a crunch to get in the door before rates drop further. Are 1 & 2 year CD’s above 5% still available?

Well, we got some of our answers!

A HUGE move in 10-yr Treasury this week caused potential CD BUYers of ALL durations to act.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/10/20/first-time-seeing-treasury-yield-move-like-this-in-20-year-career-says-exante-datas-jens-nordvig.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/11/01/u-s-10-year-yield-falls-sharply-following-better-than-expected-treasury-announcement.html

NOTE: There was a similar, though even more dramatic run on ALL CP CD offerings earlier this year, following a previous 10-yr plunge. After that run the CP CD cupboards were completely bare! (There are still a few left this time!)

Over the next several months after that prior plunge, and right up until last week's action, ALL rates had moved UP to their respective YTD highs. This time though, IMO, FWIW, we are now likely past peak CD rates.

There will be plenty of, new, New Issue offerings posted next week. It will be interesting to see just how far respective maturities rates have fallen due to the action on the 10-yr this this past week. Thenwe'll have all of our answers to the great questions posed by @hank!

All the more reason to
    (1) looking forward, get up speed on how to play in the Secondary Issues sandlot, which is where I will be spending considerable time as several rungs fall off our ladder in Nov-Feb and
    (2) in retrospect, have already bought longer duration CDs (that is, 3-5-yr) as I had been suggesting on other prior CD threads.
  • I’ve been expecting CD rates to drop at some point. However, what surprised me yesterday was that it was just the 2-year CDs that were suddenly hard to find. I had no trouble buying 1, 3, 4 and 5-year issues.
  • edited November 2023
    Tarwheel said:

I’ve been expecting CD rates to drop at some point. However, what surprised me yesterday was that it was just the 2-year CDs that were suddenly hard to find. I had no trouble buying 1, 3, 4 and 5-year issues.

Good for you!

But, so as to NOT undermine what I posted...
    Not sure what time you were buying yesterday, but cupboards were virtually bare on many durations by COB Friday, similar to what can be seen in the negligible Fido offerings across all durations this AM.
  • You're watching hot money flows (quick and easy transactions at brokerages). Savers willing to click a few more times can still find CDs with as good or better rates at internet (or even brick and mortar) banks.

Here are four fixed rate 2 year-ish CDs offered by three banks direct to customers (figures are APYs):
    5.8% (18 mo., Seattle Bank), 5.6% (24 mo. Newtek Bank), 5.5% (24 mo., Seattle Bank), 5.4% (24 mo. MapleMark Bank). The link below compares the terms of each offer and the health of each bank. (Bank health matters because if a bank folds, an acquiring bank can reduce the CD rate.)

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/compareproducts.aspx?ids=415090,406717,19800,411223

To address @hank's difficulty about wrapping one's head around brokered CDs that can only be traded, not redeemed ("put"):

What one considers cash or cash equivalent varies from person to person. There is an FASB definition (that I'm not finding on a quick search now), though here's a Texas page that gives some examples:
    https://fmx.cpa.texas.gov/fmx/training/wbt/cashflow/281.php

For me, a cash equivalent has three attributes:

- Safety. This can come from issuer (e.g. Treasury), from insurance (e.g. NCUA), or a combination of security quality and short maturity (e.g. MMFs)
    - Liquidity. The ability to convert to cash in a short amount of time. CDs acquired directly from banks satisfy this unless the issuing bank prohibits early withdrawals.
    - Stability. Bonds fail this, because their value is determined by the market. Directly sold CDs pass, because even with a withdrawal penalty their value is known ahead of time because the penalty is fixed.

A curiosity perhaps, but Fidelity lists secondary market CDs under bonds. You can a CD search page equivalent to the one that stillers gave by going to Bonds rather than CDs & Ladders. CDs are on one of the bond tabs you find there.
    On top ribbon, go to News & Research
    Then CDs & Ladders
    Then Secondary CDs (Link is under the current rates)
    News & Research
    Then Bonds
    Then CDs (tab)

One disagreement that I have with FASB, Texas, etc. is that if I buy a 12 month T-bill, then after nine months or so, I do consider it cash. The "official" rule is that if you buy a 3 month T-bill, it's a cash equivalent, but if you own a Treasury that over time ages down to three months to maturity, it's not a cash equivalent. I'm sure it makes some difference to the accountants, but to me, a T-bill with three months left is just that, regardless of how it got to there.
  • edited November 2023
    Thanks @msf for explaining the discerning attributes of cash over bonds.

ISTM those “still available” higher yielding CDs are probably a “lag effect”. Likely to disappear in a matter of days. I agree that the concept of what constitutes “cash” is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.
  • The Fidelity site now has no CDs available for terms 2 years or longer. This is probably just a temporary repricing in the market, but I expect available yields will drop. Fortunately, I purchased my latest 5-year ladder just before the changes. Unfortunately, I have a lot of CDs and Treasuries maturing in the next few months, so I may need to reinvest at lower rates (or return to bond funds).
  • Firstly, I have both a savings account and IRA with Ally. I did not realize the IRA was not through their brokerage dept. That is good news as far as I am concerned as it is basically the same as a bank CD meaning I won’t have to deal with selling it to a secondary market if by some chance I have to withdraw - I would have to pay 3 months of interest. I can only put a max of 250k in their IRA fund which is insured by the FDIC.

I want to transfer some of my 401k currently in Fidelity (currently the money market) to Ally but I would have to get in a Brokerage fund which I don’t want to do. Since I definitely do not want a brokerage CD, could I not open a bank IRA in another bank same as Ally? That would give me more liquidity and safety compared to brokerage CDs. Stillers fueled my concern about having to sell my CDs instead of withdrawing quickly albeit paying a penalty.

So I currently have a 4.5% one year CD at Ally which matures in February unfortunately as I would like to get a Ally 5 year CD at 4.1% but having to wait until February will undoubtedly lower that rate.

I would also like to open a bank IRA elsewhere - 5 year term. The rest I will leave at Fidelity as I am still working and our 401k is with them.

Very confusing I know. Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

• @Jan, that doesn't sound right.

You can rollover/direct-transfer 401k/403b into a Traditional IRA at bank or fund family or brokerage. Find out where is the problem - at Fido or Ally, then ask for a supervisor. Transfer to bank IRA may be less common (because of lesser flexibility) but it should be doable.
    https://blog.lendtable.com/news-and-blog/the-3-best-places-to-roll-over-your-401-k/
  • @Jan, am I understanding correctly? You would rather be in a bank (Ally) CD at 4.5% instead of a brokerage (Fidelity) money market at ~5.2%, and you are worried about brokerage CD's which pay at least an extra 1% over your bank CD - because you want liquidity (not to sell on the secondary market)?

Maybe I'm naïve, but I guess I don't understand the concept of opening an IRA at a bank having little flexibility for investing and less return on savings accounts and CDs. I think msf has a good and reassuring post on brokerage accounts above, but, to each their own...
  • You are correct. A brokered cd has to be sold to the secondary market and there is no assurance as to how long that could take as stiller explained.

Also I’m not sure but I’ve heard I would have to pay a brokerage fee which I wouldn’t have to in a bank IRA.

• edited November 2023
    I’ve heard I would have to pay a brokerage fee which I wouldn’t have to in a bank IRA.
    I've never paid a fee to buy a CD or treasury at Schwab.
    A brokered cd has to be sold to the secondary market
    Not sure why anyone would consider selling a CD once bought. Especially in 401k or IRA. MM's (now paying ~5.24%) are for liquidity.

I'm not trying to convince you not to follow your plan. I just don't understand your thought process... Not that I need too.
  • edited November 2023
    Getting back to my prior posts here about playing in the Seconday Issues sandbox in case anyone is interested...

FWIW, I will rolling over some CDs starting in the next two weeks as some rungs mature. There are still a coupla New Issues left in the Fido inventory (after last week's shake out) that meet my respective hurdles for their maturities. But there are also a coupla Secondary Issues that I just might BUY instead. I will be massaging those numbers in detail and will provide a summary of my decisions.

@Jan: There are NO commissions (fees) charged to the BUYer of a Fido or VG New Issue CD. They both charge the same % fee on Secondary Issues BUYs. As noted previously, for example, on the BUY of a $50K Secondary Issue CD, the fee at both is $50. That fee of course needs to be accounted for in determining which BUY is better, New or Secondary Issue. FWIW, I have never and would never pay a fee for a New Issue CD. I have however many times over the past 15 years happily paid the (IMO) nominal fee on Secondary Issues in order to increase my effective yields over those then offered by New Issues.
  • Thanks @stillers : Keep us posted on your purchases.
  • All comments below are about CP, brokerage CDs, 2-5 year durations.

VG: Bought a New Issue CD last week that met my hurdle. No worthy Secondary Issue opportunities at the time of my BUY.

Fido: Bought a New Issue CD Monday that met my hurdle. There were some worthy Secondary Issue opportunities available then but none that were good enough to best the New Issue. Still looking to add one more rung and may well go the Secondary Issue route on it. Have been trying some low-ball offers to juice the effective APY but so far no takers

Overall: I've been building CP CD ladders for 15 years. HUGE drops in inventory from the BIG 10-year event earlier this month that only happen with BIG events like that. Some significant drops from the peak at the 3-5 year levels. HUGE amount of BUYing New Issue as they came on line yesterday. We appear to be past the peak. If you snoozed, you losed!