Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Leuthold: the lights have all turned red, time to lighten up on stocks

2»

Comments

• Perhaps UI = Ulcer Index?
  • edited October 2023
    WABAC said:
    It should also be noted that LCR is about 50% equities, while LCORX is about 16% equities.
    Hi @WABAC. I took a double-take when I read this so I had to look it up. I invested in LCR because it was very much like LCORX - in my mind.

Just for clarification, per Portfolio Visualizer, both LCR and LCORX are about 53% equities. Their comparative performance since the start of Jan. 2020 is very close.

CAGR LCR=5.87 LCORX=5.67
    StDev LCR=10.67 LCORX=10.68
    Max DrawDown LCR= -12.94 LCORX= -12.91
    Sharp Ratio LCR=0.44 LCORX= 0.42

The strategy and results of both funds seem to mirror each other. Yes, one uses stocks and the other uses sector ETF's to mimic the sectors of those individual stocks. At least that's the way I interpret it.

• edited October 2023
    M* gets confused by L-S funds and hedging strategies. Moreover, it puts convertibles under "Other". M* Cash is anything under 12-mo maturities (others may use only up to 3-mo maturities).

So, on allocations of LCORX, M*, PV and Leuthold website differ a lot. But none of that can be hidden from the SD.

LCR is an etf of ETFs, and its allocation has less wiggle room.

Edit/Add. Why does MFO link ETF to some Aberdeen CEF whose valid ticker now is AEF? I had to use lowercase etf to bypass. @TheShadow
  • MikeM said:

WABAC said:

It should also be noted that LCR is about 50% equities, while LCORX is about 16% equities.
    Hi @WABAC. I took a double-take when I read this so I had to look it up. I invested in LCR because it was very much like LCORX - in my mind.

Just for clarification, per Portfolio Visualizer, both LCR and LCORX are about 53% equities. Their comparative performance since the start of Jan. 2020 is very close.

CAGR LCR=5.87 LCORX=5.67
    StDev LCR=10.67 LCORX=10.68
    Max DrawDown LCR= -12.94 LCORX= -12.91
    Sharp Ratio LCR=0.44 LCORX= 0.42

The strategy and results of both funds seem to mirror each other. Yes, one uses stocks and the other uses sector ETF's to mimic the sectors of those individual stocks. At least that's the way I interpret it.

Hi @Mike. Thanks for the help. Silly me for going by what it says on the M* portfolio page. And thanks to @yogibearbull for trying to explain.

Whatever they're up to, I wouldn't touch either of them. Too expensive. Too many moving parts.
  • @racqueteer

>> been unable to come up with an answer independently, what is "UI" again?

https://www.member.mfopremium.com/definitions/
  • @ybb, abrdn has no Es in it and the a is small caps. Have to keep up with the times:)