Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

House passes short-term funding bill with hours until government shutdown

edited September 2023 in Other Investing
The Washington Post is reporting that-

Today the House of Representatives passed short-term spending bill with bipartisan support after Republicans change course in chaotic morning. In a 335-209 vote, the House passed a continuing resolution that would fund the government for 45 days.

Just hours before a potential government shutdown, Republicans and Democrats reached a deal in the House that includes a 45-day continuing resolution with disaster relief funds, an extension of a federal flood insurance program and FAA reauthorization — but no Ukraine aid.

It was not immediately clear where things stood in the Senate, where a procedural vote on the chamber’s stopgap measure had yet to be called. The government will shut down at 12:01 a.m. Sunday if a deal is not reached.

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Pathetic. All they know how to do is punt their problems into the future.

If I ran my life the way Congress runs the country, I'd be in an insane asylum. But then again, I'm within spitting distance of DC anyway, so I guess I'm already in one.....

ETA: This House vote is like the crew of the Titanic celebrating the fact they just found another watertight compartment between them and the ocean. Doesn't fix the overall problem, it just buys a bit more time for the band to play on into the night as the horizon gets lower and lower.
  • So, we stay in a holding pattern for 45 days and it starts all over. The only unknown is who will be leading the House. Game playing without end.
  • From my church-going days I think that's supposed to be "Game playing without end, Amen."
  • Yea, but heathens like me don't know any better.:)
  • Anna said:

Yea, but heathens like me don't know any better.:)

Same here, Anna! *hoists chalice of blood drawn from the sacred unicorn*

/ducks

• The Continuing Resolution passed is far from a clean bill. it has over 700 pages that the members supposedly to read through them and make a quick vote. As @Old_Joe eluded to, this is another case of kicking the can down the road.

Will see how Moody likes this news on Monday? Will 10 year treasury spike upward next week?
  • The CR is only 71 pages long, double spaced (25 lines per page). Throwing out the first couple of pages (essentially title pages), and recognizing that it is in three sections each ending with partial pages, there are approximately 68 x 25 = 1700 lines of text.

Not too hard to read through in an hour or so. Especially for legislators who need focus on only sections related to their particular areas of expertise. I, OTOH, have better things to do with my hours.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/24001822/house-short-term-spending-bill.pdf

• Disgrace: no money for Ukraine. That's why one Dem. voted NO on the thing.
  • 43 days from now we will still be in the same situation.
  • hondo said:

43 days from now we will still be in the same situation.

Yup. You can take that prediction to the bank....

• I think it is interesting that McCarthy "choked" and put up a bill he knew he would pass only with Dems support.

The question this week will be will Dems support him when Geetz moves to replace him.

IF they do, they will clearly have a list of demands that he agrees to. They may be so tired of this clown car ( insulting to clowns!) that they are willing to extract a reasonable bipartisan agreement.

If only we had a parliamentary democracy none of this would happen
  • +1 sma3 especially your last sentence !