Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Invesco ETF share split

In case you are wondering what happened to some of your etf's today. Several of mine had dropped in half. At first I blamed M*.:)

https://www.etftrends.com/innovative-etfs-channel/invesco-executes-share-splits-what-this-means-investors/
The Atlanta-headquartered firm is executing forward splits for 23 funds and reverse splits for three funds, impacting some of the firm’s largest ETFs. The funds will effect the share splits after market close on July 14, with trading beginning on a split-adjusted basis on July 17.

Comments

• edited July 2023
    LOL - Too funny.

But at least someone knows how to use “effect” correctly as a verb. Rare
  • Effect is a noun. Affect is a verb.
  • @hank knows from grammar, to cite a usage that I've heard in NYC among speakers of Yiddish.
  • Affect can be used as a noun in one particular situation: when referring to a display of emotion.

Effect can be used as a verb in one particular situation. It can be used to mean to accomplish something or to cause something to happen.

https://www.touro.edu/departments/writing-center/tutorials/affect-or-effect/#:~:text=Effect can be used as,will effect a great harvest.
  • edited July 2023
    Graust said, ”Effect can be used as a verb in one particular situation. It can be used to mean to accomplish something or to cause something to happen.”

Yes. Exactly. Thank you @Graust.

From your link:

- “The new manager is bound to effect positive changes in the office.” (correct standard usage)

- “All this rain will effect a great harvest.” (That’s weird! But I guess it passes mustard.)

- From the OP - “The funds will effect the share splits … “ (Proper usage of “effect” as a verb)

- A different perspective: “The share splits affected the public’s perception of value.”
    (Proper usage of “affect” as a verb)

- Sometimes you see this: “It negatively effected the share price.” (Incorrect usage of “effect”)

Not to overlook the Invesco share split. Common with stocks that reach lofty valuations. First time I’ve heard of it with a fund. I don’t know about Invesco. I was herded in when Oppenheimer was bought / merged with them. I’m sure they have some good products, but the few I owned (a couple OEFs and one ETF) were plagued by high fees, outsized risk taking and inconsistent performance. I even owned their stock (IVZ) for several days back during the broad sell off in financials in ‘22. Couldn’t seem to find a firm bottom. Sold.
  • :) I wish I could go back and explain these excepted uses of 'effect' as a verb to my 4th grade teacher, Sister Mary Michael. She may not have hit me in the back of the head for using it incorrectly.