Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Blood in the Streets SCHW etc

Anybody buying? I just toe dipped into JPM but not brave enough for SCHW

Any opinion? CFO says they have plenty of liquidity

Charles Schwab Says It Has Access to 'Significant' Liquidity; Reports Decline in Total February Client Assets
9:59 AM ET, 03/13/2023 - MT Newswires
09:59 AM EDT, 03/13/2023 (MT Newswires) -- Charles Schwab (SCHW) on Monday assured investors that it has access to "significant" liquidity with "very little chance" it would need to sell its held-to-maturity securities prior to maturity.

Chief Financial Officer Peter Crawford said the company's business continues to perform "exceptionally well" and expects year-over-year growth of about 10% in Q1 revenue.

More than 80% of the company's total bank deposits fall within the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. limits, Crawford said, adding that cash outflows in February were about $5 billion lower than in January and March.

Total client assets were $7.38 trillion as of the end of February, down 4% from a year earlier and represents a sequential decline of 1%, the company said.

Charles Schwab shares were down more than 15% in early trading.

Barrons

https://www.barrons.com/articles/charles-schwab-stock-price-bank-selloff-4bb1ae5f?mod=md_stockoverview_news&mod=article_inline

"Last year, Schwab generated more than $10 billion of net interest revenue, which represented about half its total annual revenue, according to the company’s fourth-quarter earnings report. That revenue is the difference between the interest Schwab earns on bonds and loans and the interest it pays out to its funding sources, which are primarily uninvested client cash balances. Schwab’s net interest revenue looks increasingly at risk as interest rates rise."

Comments

• I have opened schwab position last fri

Hold on for ride

Maybe dca down
  • hope you added at 45 this AM
    It is up to 50
  • I bought some SCHW at 51+ this morning. I had considered it on Friday but decided to see how the weekend went. It touched 45 early this morning, but I spent some time looking for data and opinions before pulling the trigger.

I'm somewhat nervous about taking this position, because this is not an industry I've followed (even though I've had some BAC for years).

Everything in the financial industry has been tarnished. I considered adding to my AXP position (down about 10% in the last month) but don't really see this as a big buying opportunity (yet).

CNBC has had some interesting guests through the day. Brad Gerstner of Altimeter Capital for one.
    The world of big banks seems much more complicated than the banking issues most of us have encountered in our lives. So their "governance/regulation" is pretty complex.

Like many other "large" issues in our economy, there are often no easy answers.

David
  • ARCC and MAIN (both BDCs) are up nicely, amid the shit flying all around.
  • edited March 2023
    TFC fell 17% today. Held some for a few months a year ago. Not a bad ride at the time. Whew!

Looked like a good bet at the time. Large growing regional bank. Headquartered in Charlotte NC. Conservatively run. Diversified investments. Hard to believe it could fall that much in a single day.
  • What I've been seeing is that Truist is not much better than Wells.
  • Well I’m glad I no longer own it than.
  • edited March 2023
    FYI rumored???? Dimon added 26millions $Jpm w recent FIRESALE???
    I think Buffett also getting out his checkbook adding BAC soon
  • @johnN
    You noted:
    FYI Dimon added 26millions $Jpm yesterday w firesale
    From where does this information arrive??? Have you an article link?
    Thank you.
  • edited March 2023
    Hi sir
    Could be fake news... Saw webull chat content yesterday but could not confirm

Twitter feed has same - was posted 2016

Short king investor Michael Burry think crisis may resolve quickly
  • Schwab not posting balances from yesterday sales. Still shows position in SWVXX with negative cash balance. Rep says they are working on it
  • Says Baron bought "modest amount"

Interesting lack of conviction for a guy who has a leveraged fund that is 50% TSLA
  • @dstone42: looks like that SCHW buy worked out, at least for today.