Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

To all of you Michiganders...

... of which there are a surprising number here at MFO: Congratulations on standing up to the many malign forces attempting to subvert democracy in your fine state. Well done!

Regards- OJ

Comments

• Thanks, OJ. We're pleased at this house. We placed a fair amount of monies behind candidates in several states.
    Some trinkets in the below link, although the write is a few days old and the numbers weren't finalized for some areas.
    A few highlights: All upper levels of state government remain "D". Mich. legislature, both houses majority "D" (first time since 1984), MI Supreme court remains 4-3 leaning "D", Grand Rapids, U.S. Congressional MI 3rd district.... "D" lady,1st time in 45 years for this district. AND record number of votes in MI mid-term, with turnout about 54%. YEAH...the Republic still survives in the U.S.

ALSO...we're peeking at CNN, as they are updating undecided contests.

--- Nevada, U.S. Senate...936,000 votes and still counting..."R" lead = 882 votes. Apparent remaining vote count may favor "D". A "D" win will lock U.S. Senate to "D".
    Watching several close California U.S. rep. seats, too. AZ leaning "D" for major races, with Kelly winning U.S. Senate.

An overview.
  • edited November 2022
    I read somewhere that a ballot measure passed by the voters earlier created the non-partisan redistricting commission that de-gerrymandered the state, and that had a lot to do with the two-house sweep. Got some smart voters there.
  • Have anyone heard from @hank lately? I believe he lives near Traverse City, MI.
  • AndyJ said:

I read somewhere that a ballot measure passed by the voters earlier created the non-partisan redistricting commission that de-gerrymandered the state, and that had a lot to do with the two-house sweep. Got some smart voters there.

THAT is the way to do redistricting.
  • Michigan 2018, Proposal 2, redistricting to be performed by "a citizens group" of the state and not by elected politicians. 2018 passage would allow for 2020 census data to be used in order to have redistricting in place for upcoming elections. Of course, there were political challenges to the proposal, including striking down the proposal completely. The Michigan Supreme Court overruled these challenges.

Personal note: Politicians don't like to have "their powers" overridden by the citizens, eh? Who do they think "hired" them in the first place???

The above link (in bold) provides broad search results for background information.
  • I am one of the MI residents on this board. Our family of five all voted absentee without a hitch. I was particularly gratified that the results referenced above by @catch22 were a rout for the true crazies who have taken over the Republican Party here. Oddly, even big money from the likes of Devos could not match the Dems fund raising. Both incumbents and newcomers prevailed against those who promised to disrupt political life as we have known it. The redistricting commission, not without some rancor, did a great job of heading off gerrymandering as it has been practiced in some other states (WI, NC, and FL come to mind).
  • @Sven - I was wondering the same about hank
  • Several of posters here have sent private messages to hank. No reply so far and we are concern.
  • @Crash said-
    THAT is the way to do redistricting.
    We adopted a similar procedure here in California some years ago. I'm very happy to keep the politicians the hell away from carving up the state to suit their interests. If an area is mostly Republican by a reasonable geographic construct then they are totally entitled to vote for their preferred candidates without artificial boundary distortions when the Democrats are in power. And vice-versa.

Basic fairness.
  • in hawaii, the dems are firmly in control everywhere. there are just a few repugnants who ever get elected. ... which is how you get the likes of tulsi gabbard elected as a dem... the tent is so big, and candidates know that you must wear blue in order to win. so, they identify as dems, whether or not such an identification would ever "fly," elsewhere. Anyhow: just try to get Mazie Hirono's office to actually pick up the phone. I dare you. Responsive to constituents? Hardly.
  • Howdy folks,

Up in Michigan, I'm recovering from nearly a week of non-stop multiple orgasms. teehehe.

As pointed out, the redistricting was crucial. You have to get past the gerrymandering bs to have fair elections. You also have to do it via referendum because the elected politicians will never do it on their own. Both parties bitched about our results, but that just means it was probably pretty good result - when both sides complain.

We had the abortion issue on our ballot and that brought out the women and they youth.

In my township (~5,500) we had a 70% turnout which was the largest midterm ever. It went about 55/45 absentee/live. We had no problems. Please note that my township is pure republican. Pure to the degree that no democrats even run for township office. Hell, I'm a 3rd term elected republican Trustee and sit on the Election Commission.

This election we had a financial disclosure issue on the ballot and it passed 65/35. You need to know who's paying who and who's owned. We're never going to do away with Citizens United, but we can make them identify who's paying. That's the goal.

Here's a speech by Jennifer Lawrence the actress that I saw a few years back that I love. It's a blueprint for taking back our country.

And BTW, fear the Gretch. Yeah, during the Covid crisis, she was a bitch. Simply an unholy bitch. Ah, but the kid is still alive so I'm not complaining. Sometimes, when you're in charge, you have to make tough nasty decisions. She did.

Life is good in Blue Michigan.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• Really great video, @rono.