Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Queen Elizabeth's sense of humor

edited September 2022 in Off-Topic
Her bodyguard for many years tells a story of the two of them meeting two American hikers while out for a walk. (Video, 1:29)

Comments

• Funny story!
    Queen Elizabeth was the longest reigning British monarch (70 Yrs.).
    She will be missed by many Britons...
  • i have NOT a good opinion of uncle chucky III.
  • Thanks for that story, @AndyJ. And here is one more than I stumbled across- a story told by Kevin Rudd, a former Australian Prime Minister:
    Australian politicians are supposed to be a tough lot. But I remember my first meeting with the Queen at Windsor Castle feeling like an anxious schoolkid. I knew she would be well-briefed. And, as expected, she didn’t disappoint. She was ready to discuss my new government’s approach on everything from climate change (where she was already ahead of the political curve) to her future as the Queen of Australia.

While the Queen and I were deep in conversation over lunch at Buckingham Palace about the state of the Commonwealth, our spouses were focused on another of her great passions: dogs. So when Thérèse expressed a desire to meet the Queen’s famous corgis, it wasn’t long before Her Majesty gave the signal that prompted this golden blur of dogs – at least six or seven of them – to barrel into the opulent dining room adjacent to her private apartments.

As the corgis introduced themselves to us, Thérèse remarked to the Queen that one of them looked a bit different to the others. Her Majesty put down her glass of Dubonnet and, with a knowing grin, admitted to the dog’s dubious pedigree, saying the dog’s mother had been “a hopeless trollop”. The entire table descended into raucous laughter.
    Link to the full article in The Guardian.
  • LOL. Good one!
  • edited September 2022
    Good one, @Old_Joe. The corgis had a brief star turn in that 2012 James Bond skit for the Olympics opening (clever editing making it look like she parachuted out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig.)

Really like the last 'graf in that Guardian article by K. Rudd:
    Queen Elizabeth’s seven-decade reign saw monarchies crumble around the world. Indeed many expected her to be Britain’s last monarch. Instead, through consistency of character, personal courage, an old-fashioned sense of duty now lacking in much of modern political life, and the quiet, abiding strength of her faith that was thankfully free from American flamboyance and excess, Elizabeth succeeded in anchoring a nation and a Commonwealth during an extraordinary era of global change. And that is why we will miss her. She was one of a kind.
  • @AndyJ- from what I've seen so far, I have hopes for her son, Charles. He seems to have his head screwed on correctly. After him, though, it's anybody's guess.
  • ...But lots to be forgiven him...
  • edited September 2022
    Just amazing sights from England today. The Brits sure know how to throw a funeral.

I admire the country, people and their political system. Wishing them the very best. Actually toured Westminster Abby a few years ago. Had no idea what to expect, except had heard it mentioned in a Roger Miller song. It was a bit of a “downer” - in a nice way. There’s actually bodies burried under the floors in some sections.
  • edited September 2022
    Old_Joe said:

… from what I've seen so far, I have hopes for her son, Charles. He seems to have his head screwed on correctly.

After him, though, it's anybody's guess.

Kinda points to the flaw in monarchical systems. Currently viewing / studying Shakespeare’s Henry V. Will see it live this winter. A “hoot” once you cut through the language and overlook the devastation of the war he’s undertaken.

BTW - It’s one of the (taped live) performances available on Marque TV
  • "Kinda points to the flaw in monarchical systems."

Maybe, but a system that can give you a "ruler" like Trump ain't so hot either.
  • edited September 2022
    +1 @Old_Joe

I never said “self governance” was any better.

More aptly named perhaps “self destruction.”