Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CAPD ending. Sell now or wait?

Anyone else own iPath Shiller CAPE ETN (CAPD)? I got a notice that it is maturing on October 12, 2022. My choices are to sell now or wait and be cashed out (at the price on October 4). Is there any reason to prefer one option over the other?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Doesn't matter for an ETN. Remember, ETNs don't hold assets, but are just sponsors' IOUs for payoffs based on benchmark indexes (Barclays in case of CAPD). But why hang around if you have replacement ideas.

On the other hand, OEFs/ETFs/CEFs increasingly turn into cash as their termination dates approach and there may be blackout/freeze periods too. No point in hanging around for those.
  • A while back I wondered how DoubleLine got the CAPE trading symbol away from Barclays. My guess now is that it was no great loss because Barclays had no future in mind for the ETN, and agreed to use the CAPD symbol for a short time. If I were a fund company, I'd want the more recognizable symbol. @lrwilliams: I no longer own either CAPE or CAPD.