Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Don’t like the war

edited April 2022 in Off-Topic
Yesterday a large Russian naval ship was sunk in the Black Sea. I doubt we know (or will soon know) the full story of how that was carried out.

Lots of mumbling in the media today about the potential use of “tactical nuclear weapons” by an increasingly desperate Russia. Here’s a story citing the CIAs concerns. I can’t help wondering how the markets would react to an actual detonation? ISTM the markets haven’t taken the Ukraine situation fully into account.

Apologies for even considering the financial implications. Of course the human tragedy plus the destabilizing effect on world order are much greater concerns.

3-minute CLIP FROM the 1960’s film “Fail Safe” staring Henry Fonda

Comments

• Western countries are STILL chickenshit: giving Ukraine just enough help so they don't LOSE. They should take back Crimea and Luhansk and Donetsk. I'm still "with" @rono: war is a fruitless bloody rat-fucking mess. Financial implications? Russia has started a new Cold War. The globalization that started in the '90s is receding fast. When I flew to Asia in 2018, the plane went through Siberia and Manchuria, avoiding N.Korea by flying out over the Yellow Sea before coming to Incheon. Airlines are already using routes to avoid Russian airspace. It's "us and them," again. Costs will STAY high. Just consider it to be a ratcheting-up of costs around the world. Ukraine will need a Marshall Plan. How many people from there will actually re-patriate? The EU will--- as ever--- trip over its own bureaucracy attempting to help. .....I've built-up my exposure to Nat. Resources in the portfolio. PRNEX. A mediocre fund, but even mediocre is doing alright this year. Poverty will be exacerbated. It's just bleak, all around.

• Howdy folks,

It's not looking particularly good in the Ukraine from a strategic perspective. I concur that the west of being too accommodating of Putin.

They should plan now and announce their plans. If he uses either nukes of poison gas, we will destroy Stalingrad. 6th Fleet has sufficient cruise missiles. We hit Stalingrad with 100 or so and burn it to the ground.

Folks, the only way you stop a bully is to confront him. Otherwise, he will not stop;

I also concur that globalism is dead for the near term. The only thing that could possibly save it is the death of Putin.

I too am depressed about this insanity.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • Why "Stalingrad" (now called "Volgograd")? And why would that deter Putin from further aggression? He has no regard for human life and this includes Russian lives. Volgograd has a population of about 1 million. I see nothing to suggest that the loss of a million Russian people would disturb or deter Putin. Although such an event might adversely affect his popularity in Russia, recent history suggests that if he then invades Finland or Poland his popularity will rise once more. I want to be wrong about this.
    rono said:

Howdy folks,

It's not looking particularly good in the Ukraine from a strategic perspective. I concur that the west of being too accommodating of Putin.

They should plan now and announce their plans. If he uses either nukes of poison gas, we will destroy Stalingrad. 6th Fleet has sufficient cruise missiles. We hit Stalingrad with 100 or so and burn it to the ground.

Folks, the only way you stop a bully is to confront him. Otherwise, he will not stop;

I also concur that globalism is dead for the near term. The only thing that could possibly save it is the death of Putin.

I too am depressed about this insanity.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• Just a guess, trying to read rono's mind: Stalingrad (Volgograd) is the fifteenth-largest city in Russia, and more or less equivalent to some of the Ukrainian cities being destroyed, but not as critical as St. Petersburg or Moscow.
  • I'm guessing that Stalingrad came to mind because it was named after a Russian leader(pre-Stalin it was named Tzaritsyn City), and probably represented the most humiliating loss for Hitler on the Eastern Front.
  • edited April 2022
    A rose by any other name. I'm in with @rono on this stuff. And STILL, I ask: "Where's the JETS, Joe?" The bully is a RUSSIAN bully. The one thing he won't abide is losses WITHIN Russia, in my humble opinion. He won't want to risk THAT.

• Al Jazeera:
    “The Russians are concentrating their efforts on eastern Ukraine, a shift that could indicate their interest in negotiating from a position of strength, or the partition of Ukraine so that they can directly control the Donbas, the coastline – including places like Mariupol and Odesa – and much of what lies east of the Dnieper River,” Alonso-Trabanco told Al Jazeera, expressing his personal opinion.

However, if even partition fails, he said he believes the war could become one of complete annihilation.

“If the Russians are unable to reach a quick victory and this military intervention becomes a long war, then Moscow could likely refocus its efforts and capabilities towards the outright dismantlement of Ukraine as a functional national state,” said Alonso-Trabanco.

“That would entail the massive obliteration of infrastructure, territorial fragmentation, political and economic instability and an even larger exodus of population,” he said. “A country under such chaotic conditions can’t have a viable future.”

.......So, where's the f*****g JETS, JOE!!!???
  • Nevertheless, Ukraine is in dire straits at the moment. Better trained, but not better ARMED than the Russians.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/25/russia-is-failing-in-its-war-aims-in-ukraine-us

• edited April 2022
    "Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the United States wants to see Russia “weakened to the point where it can’t do things like invade Ukraine.”

That's fine and good, but who exactly is expected to do the fighting?

As time wears on in Ukraine I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that we, the US, should be doing more to help. For instance, it's well documented that Russia exploits it's "little green men" to both buttress it's formal armed forces and to engage in actions that Russia wants to be able to deny. Why can't we do the same?

The US should lead in the establishment of a NATO-sponsored volunteer Expeditionary Force. Not only should that force be open to civilian volunteers, but also to currently serving members of NATO military groups. Indeed, sign-up bonuses should be offered to military personnel with current weapons experience, with guaranteed continuing military salaries and benefits, and return to their regular service units if so desired.

If this were attempted and found to be successful with respect to forming adequate unit troop strength, then armament with state-of-the-art weaponry should be made available to the voluntary service forces, at a bargain price of $1.00 per tank or attack plane.

Yes, this would draw down and lessen the potential effectiveness of the existing NATO forces. But those forces are not being effectively used at this point. Those of us old enough to remember the history of WW2, and the terrible price eventually paid because no one tried to stop Hitler at the beginning, can clearly see that history is in grave danger of being repeated.
  • Well said Sir! Thank you.
  • @old_Joe. @hank. Utter truth. Yes, indeed. Agreed!
  • Howdy folks,

@ Ben, I only chose Stalingrad because it's a relatively large and well known city. Why did we nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki and not Tokyo? Though, it would be relatively easy to destroy from our 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. My real point is that we need to prepare NOW to retaliate in proportion to any tactical nukes or use of chemical weapons. Something large and painful.

BTW, this has pretty much forced the Ukraine into NATO and Finland is applying for membership on the 12th of this month. That will force Sweden to join.

Good job, Vlad.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• "Fears of a spillover from the Ukraine conflict grew after a Russian general said last month the Kremlin’s military campaign aimed to create a land corridor through southern Ukraine to Transnistria."
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/4/eu-to-significantly-increase-moldova-military-aid
  • Howdy folks,

Hi Crash, I've believed from the beginning that Vlad wants to go down in history with the likes of Peter, Ivan, etc. by reuniting Mother Russia.

The problem with this is that it includes, Poland, Romania, Moldova, the Baltic States . . . and Alaska.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited May 2022
    "Christopher Steele, a former MI6 officer and author of the Russian dossier on former President Donald Trump, told Sky News that his sources have said Russian President Vladimir Putin is “quite seriously ill” though the nature of the illness remains unclear.

“Certainly, from what we’re hearing from sources in Russia and elsewhere, is that Putin is, in fact, quite seriously ill,” Steele, who ran the Russia desk at MI6 in London between 2006 and 2009, told Sky News. “It’s not clear exactly what this illness is — whether it’s incurable or terminal, or whatever.”

His comments come after Ukrainian Major General Kyrylo Budanov, in a separate interview with Sky News, said Putin is seriously ill with cancer and that a coup to remove him is under way in Russia.

CNBC was not able to independently verify these remarks.

Holy Jeepers, eh????? What's the real story, here? Curiouser and curiouser.
    Sky News report:
    https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-ex-british-spy-and-russia-expert-christopher-steele-backs-claims-vladimir-putin-is-ill-12612937
  • This unconfirmed rumor has been floating around on ultra-right-wing sources, many controlled by Rupert Murdoch, for a long time now. If there were any truth to this, isn't it reasonable to expect confirmation from some main-stream source?
  • Yer right.
  • edited September 2022
    "Live by the sword, Die by the sword..."

Photos from Associated Press, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Guardian