Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barrons question

Does Barron's have the S&P 500 1 year forward earnings estimate projections (52 week)?
$48 online cost.

If yes, what is that number? Or the estimates for 2023?

Comments

• This was published in Barron's on 11/24/2021:

"Jefferies strategists published a year-end 2022 target of 5,000 for the broad market benchmark. That represents a roughly 7% gain from the index’s current level—a view underpinned by the firm’s expectation that aggregate earnings per share for the companies in the S&P 500 will come in at $233 in 2022. The baseline view among analysts tracked by FactSet is that the figure will be $220. "
  • Thank you Mark. I am wondering if there is a table updated weekly with these stats? It used to be towards the front of the mag. I might need to stop by the library and look at one.
  • edited April 2022
    @shipwreckedandalone, in its Market Laboratory data tables, Barron's publishes TRAILING P/Es for indexes and the current edition has for SP500 as 25.02. I don't think Barron's presented fwd P/E for major indexes in these data tables. It does have fwd P/E for Barron's 50 weekly and that is 21.20.

But fwd P/E for SP500 is often mentioned within Barron's articles that in the current edition is 19.6 (Trader column).

M* has fwd P/E for SPY as 20.1, for VOO 19.7 (the difference not accounted by their ER difference).

Yardeni has fwd P/E for SP500 as 19.7 and also has a chart for P/E. Analysts may differ on this based on their outlook. Notably, Yardeni develops his own estimates. https://www.yardeni.com/pub/stockmktperatio.pdf
  • Yogi, thank you. I am looking for 52 week forward S&P 500 earnings estimates (many times noted as 'Forward' in publications), not the earnings multiple 25.02. So the number I am expecting is somewhere around $233.04 (I think) but I would like a reliable source to find the weekly published number. The most widely published number is a quarterly number which I do not use.