Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Big Stock Sales Are Supposed to Be Secret. The Numbers Indicate They Aren’t.

edited March 2022 in Other Investing
"For years, something strange kept happening on Wall Street.

Before a big shareholder could carry out plans to sell a slug of stock, the price dropped. It was as if other investors knew what was coming."

Wall Street Journal Article

Comments

• Fascinating. I hope they catch who is doing this and they see jail time in a real prison.
  • Old_Joe said:

"For years, something strange kept happening on Wall Street.

Before a big shareholder could carry out plans to sell a slug of stock, the price dropped. It was as if other investors knew what was coming."

Wall Street Journal Article

Nobody told me.;)

I think that's the first time I've followed a WSJ link that wasn't behind a paywall.

Thanks for posting.

• @WABAC- Yes, I've noticed lately that many of the publications that we subscribe to have options to copy a "free link", not on all articles, but on some darned good ones. I'm guessing that they're hoping to entice new subscribers by offering free samples. BTW, all the links that I post here are free, unless I note otherwise.
  • edited March 2022
    “Regulators suspect that investment banks have been tipping off their top clients, who jump in and sell ahead of that wave … In many deals examined by the Journal, the stock-price slide began in late morning or early afternoon, around the time sellers typically alert bankers to their plans. The ultimate losers in these situations are often pension funds, endowments and foundations. They invest with private-equity firms, which use block trades to unwind stakes in newly public companies.”

“Money talks and ** walks.”