Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places

Comments

• Is this referring to us EAP's?
  • edited March 2022
    Hmm …?

Does “EAP” mean those of us who frequent the “off topic” section? Could be. Not exactly a “beehive” of activity here. And I noted a disparaging comment by someone over on the “topical” side.
  • edited March 2022
    Yeah, that "elite" part of the comment really stung...

I guess I should consider trading in my 12 yr old Tacoma for something more elite, like one of those totally stupid Cadillac "pickups".

When I worked for SF I always said that the main reason that I got things done was because I knew people in low places. If you're working in an City building the janitor and the building maintenance engineer are the folks to talk to. They've got all of the keys to the stuff that management doesn't even know exists.
  • edited March 2022
    You’re fast OJ! I had “elitist” in there momentarily & knocked it out revising.

Nice commentary on the work strata. The “elitists” would be without air conditioning, water or toilets without the skill-set and knowledge of those “lower” down.

Yeah - a $90,000 pickup “truck” that you’d have to be afraid to haul anything in for fear of scratching the paint. Makes a lotta sense.
  • edited March 2022
    I've always disliked Cadillacs of any type. Second-class engineering, bought by people who don't know any better and think that "expensive" = "good". In some areas of the vehicle world that's very true, but certainly not out of Detroit.

Lest anyone think that I have anything against Detroit, our other vehicle is an '87 Olds with some 73k actual miles on it- last of the GM rear-wheel sedans. Certainly not anything special in engineering, but same frame and suspension as the Cadillacs, same nice highway feel, one hell of a lot cheaper. With decent Japanese after-market shocks, not too bad on back roads, either.
  • edited March 2022
    I know folks who love those big older models for longer trips. Lincolns, Mercurys, Oldsmobiles from the 70s & 80s. Can’t beat the ride.

Maybe I’m elitist. But my first foreign job - a 2018 Honda Accord - has me leaning that way for another when the time comes. Quality’s great and the design / features make you think that whoever built it enjoyed driving and knew something about cars. I’ve rented the Camry on a couple trips and find it a pleasure to drive as well. Come to think of it, the Chrysler 300 wasn’t bad either; and I was surprised to learn it’s the same basic chassis as the Dodge Charger.

As far as U.S. workers go … the Honda was assembled in Ohio - though the special gas engine to go with the hybrid design came from Japan.
  • @hank: our 2017 Accord has no volume knob for the sound system, however our 2019 Odyssey does. I heard that Honda owners complained about no old-fashioned volume control and the company responded. How about your Accord?
  • edited March 2022
    BenWP said:

@hank: our 2017 Accord has no volume knob for the sound system, however our 2019 Odyssey does. I heard that Honda owners complained about no old-fashioned volume control and the company responded. How about your Accord?

Yes, In reading up on the Accord shortly before purchasing it I came across that detail. Owners of the previous model had complained about no volume knob. Guess I lucked out. Not only a knob, but volume buttons on the steering wheel as well. The 2018 was a redesigned hybrid, and as I recall the price had fallen about 3K from the previous year’s model.

Both the added volume knob and price cut contributed to my purchasing it.

Gets 46-47 mpg summertime / Drops to 38-39 with snow tires on in the winter.