Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Uncle Vlad, the scumbag. Report, 18 Feb, 2022

“This is the most significant military mobilisation in Europe since the second world war,” US ambassador Michael Carpenter told a meeting at the Vienna-based Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/18/russian-backed-separatists-announce-evacuation-from-east-ukraine

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Watching FTN on CBS Sunday morning. Sad that the host / moderator doesn’t understand what NATO is and doesn’t realize that the Ukraine isn’t part of it. That made her questions to the governmental figure representing Belgium ridiculous. Maybe she’s reading from a teleprompter and some hung-over idiot behind the scenes is writing the questions?

Pogo: “We have met the enemy …”
  • edited February 2022
    CNN has more experienced correspondents/consultants that provides more meaningful coverages on Ukraine. Often many of them been around when the former Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. What you are seeing are the inexperienced reporters. Hope CBS will correct this matter.
  • @Sven: typo, right? CBS, in @hank's post. ... FTN? I searched, and came up with a bunch of sports-betting links and references. Ork? Today, uncle Vlad is insisting on diplomacy. Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire. Did the Chinese regime steal from the old Soviet script, or the other way around? Uncle Vlad is doing exactly this:
    1. Manufacture a fake crisis: Initiate, instigate.
    2. Use "negotiations" as cover.
    3. Intimidate, press, press, press.
    4. Prevaricate, dissemble and lie. Deliberately mischaracterize what's being done, and why.

• @Crash- FTN: Face the Nation.
  • Yes, just correct my typo. Putin was a taxi driver when the Soviet Union collapsed. So humiliating that he dreams of the return to the good old days. Financially Russia is much smaller than the former Soviet Union. They export mostly oils, natural gas, industrial metals and arms.
  • +1 and +1.
  • @hank who said - "Watching FTN on CBS Sunday morning. Sad that the host / moderator doesn’t understand what NATO is and doesn’t realize that the Ukraine isn’t part of it. That made her questions to the governmental figure representing Belgium ridiculous."

So I had a hard time believing that Ms. Brennan (FTN Moderator) was semi-clueless re: NATO so I watched the Feb. 20th program. First off, if I got this right, she was interviewing NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg who does not represent Belgium (to the best of my knowledge) other than their interests as a member of NATO. He might have been responding from Brussels, Belgium but that was the extent of it. Second, she clearly understands that Ukraine is not a member since she posed the question with respect towards a timeline for Ukraine's possible inclusion. Did I watch the wrong show?
  • edited February 2022
    This is FTN from Feb. 20.

CORRECTION: I don't find the connection to the person mentioned previous. NYET !!! I did a re-do of a previous link.........which was a shortened version.
    Ms. Brennan is not a dummy, and perhaps misspoke somewhere. Perhaps I missed something.......but I don't have time today to watch the entire show. Note: FWIW, Ms. Brennan's prior employment was at Bloomberg TV-financial program. She was always competent with her reporting there.
  • More feces from the Russian pile of feces. The cab driver, turned criminal gangster pig. A criminal gangster pig with an Army. And a Navy. And an Air Force. What could possibly go wrong? Uncle Vlad needs to be "taken out."
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/21/putin-recognize-rebel-eastern-ukrainian-regions-as-independent.html
  • edited February 2022
    @Catch22 - Not getting video to run. The U.S. does have NATO troops in some of the European countries that are part of NATO. And NATO is legitimately worried about Russian aggression. So that aspect did come up. up. But the guy (representing Belgium) seemed perplexed when she implied that those NATO troops would be arriving in the Ukraine and asked him when or if they’d be arriving. He had her repeat the question again and than the interview moved on.

NBR reported today that the Ukraine is the world’s 3rd largest nuclear power - based on weaponry the USSR left behind when the Soviet Empire broke up. I don’t know if any are operational or not. Nice to know isn’t it?

Robert Frost -“Some say the world will end in fire … “
  • A NPR report:

Why Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons — and what that means in an invasion by Russia

"Three decades ago, the newly independent country of Ukraine was briefly the third-largest nuclear power in the world.

Thousands of nuclear arms had been left on Ukrainian soil by Moscow after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. But in the years that followed, Ukraine made the decision to completely denuclearize.

In exchange, the U.S., the U.K. and Russia would guarantee Ukraine's security in a 1994 agreement known as the Budapest Memorandum.

Now, that agreement is front and center again.

Mariana Budjeryn of Harvard University spoke with All Things Considered about the legacy of the Budapest Memorandum and its impact today."
  • edited February 2022
    Thanks @Mark. Was driving when the NPR blip came on. Sounded like many nukes were still stored in the Ukraine. Your linked story and my searching say that isn’t the case. I was aware that they were supposed to be decommissioned after the Budapest Agreement. But not that they were actually removed from the soil.
  • Howdy folks,

Poland, Romania and the Baltic states are part of NATO while Ukraine is not. The 82nd is now in Poland, the 173rd in Latvia and the 1st Armored is headed out. A tank train rolled thru Atlanta a couple of days ago. They've also banned banks from SWIFT. WTF knows. We could be building up to free Ukaine like we did for the Gulf War. Kuait wasn’t a part of NATO either.

Pray for peace,

Rono
  • edited February 2022
    In case there’s anyone who doesn’t follow the Sunday morning news flow …

Putin Puts Russia’s Nuclear Forces on High Alert
  • edited February 2022
    @hank et al

Air space denies, soccer game cancels, pension fund(s) Russia holdings divestments........bang, bang coming from all directions and countries.

CNN live news update
  • @hank - A little bit of overkill for a 'peace-keeping' mission wouldn't you say.
  • @hank saw that, too. What could possibly go wrong, eh? I see in a report that Zelensky told the allies: "I need ammunition, not a ride," in response to the offer to evacuate him. And I did not miss that little news snippet about uncle Vlad the mongoose f***er saying he wanted to "de-nazify" Ukraine. Despite the fact that Zelensky is Jewish, and even lost relatives in the Holocaust. Putin is a shameless bag of fetid pus. Now Kiev is surrounded. REMEMBER BASTOGNE.
  • edited February 2022
    Good points All !

Seems odd that potential nuclear conflict is being discussed in the “Off Topic” section of an investment forum …. (though I understand the rationale)

Re: “What could possibly go wrong, eh?”

I’ll be interested in what the futures markets look like this evening.
  • edited February 2022
    “The former US president said that the Russian president had made a “smart move” by sending “the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen” to the area.”

”Genius” (source of quote)

- Images (“peace force” at work)
  • Acccccchhhhhh.
  • When is the last time something even remotely intelligent came out of that clowns mouth? This action is just heartbreaking on any and all levels. And for what?!
  • edited March 2022
    William Cohen (needs no introduction) was on Bloomberg today and described situation as extremely serious. His fears echo my own: That’s that the Russians will use Ukraine to build up a huge military presence along the border with Western Europe (ie Poland) and than begin aggression against our NATO allies - requiring direct U.S. intervention and a larger war.

Putin’s no dummy. We live in a new era much different from when Hitler invaded Poland. Now what you do (through the internet) is stir up perceived “discontent” inside your target state / nation. Those “discontents” than, with your overt or covert support, resort to violence against their government, proclaim their particular region’s independence and than “invite” Russia in to “maintain the peace.”
  • @hank et al

And how hard will the economic crunch have to be on Russian society from the mega wealthy to the dirt farmer, for Putin to wonder whether his final resting place with be in a distant forest among the roots of birch trees???
  • edited March 2022

Opening lines …

The space shuttle ends where the subway begins
    There's a tear on the face of the moon
    Fromdusk until dawn they have searched all day long
    But there's too many clues in this room
    At best it is said we've been locked deep inside
    Of an old sea man's chest full of charts
    Where maps are contained and what's left of his brains
    When his crew threw his balls to the sharks …