Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Revisiting Retirement Drawdown Strategy

It will be nice to track this strategy as we hit draw downs in the upcoming weeks, months, years...
Developing a strategy for managing your transition from “Accumulation” to “Drawdown” is critical. It’s a huge shift in your investment strategy, and it’s not something you should approach without a plan. Today, we’ll revisit our original retirement drawdown strategy and analyze how it’s worked since our retirement in 2018.
revisiting-our-drawdown-strategy

Comments

• First line from A (grade) We have increased our stock exposure from 48% to 57%, which is in line with what we were targeting.

I don't believe they had to add to equity, Mr Market took care of that !!!
  • @Derf,
    ...great point!
  • So far, in EARLY retirement, with my spouse still working, it's not difficult to come up with our drawdown strategy: don't do it. Problem solved. I have been removing small annual chunks of money from the pot, but not so much that I need to worry about permanently impairing future returns. ... Mr. Market has been artificially "juiced" for a long time. That's been a big help. I've discovered that "buy and hold forever" won't work, if it EVER did..... The Market, via my particular mutual funds, has been making up what I remove, plus even MORE. ...I recall how dark it felt in '08-'09. I stayed invested. (It was ALL in PREMX, back then. I woke up and diversified, thanks to participants on this message board.). In 2022, the customary January chunk-taking ritual has been delayed. Still not too worried. There are no guarantees, and if this turns out to be a negative year, no one should be statistically surprised about that, from time to time, eh?