Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

World Stock Funds-Are they a viable alternative?

13»

Comments

• edited November 2021

In the Foreign Large Blend category, I like SCIEX and MIEIX*.
    The SCIEX management team also manages 30% of VWILX.
    MIEIX has below average costs, low turnover, and usually provides good downside protection.
    Mr. Ling started managing MIEIX on 10/01/2009; Mr. Webber began managing SCIEX on 03/01/2010.
    Portfolio Visualizer Results from Mar 2010 - Oct 2021

*Morningstar fund category was Foreign Large Growth prior to 2020

Thank you, @Observant1 as well. I looked up MIEIX and noticed a large outflow of funds this year from M*'s pages. By the way, which brokers allow to hold/trade this fund as Schwab says: "Restricted".
  • edited November 2021
    @Mav123,

I owned MIEIX via my 401k.
    My 401k changed to the CIT version of MIEIX this past July.
    M* lists MIEIX brokerage availability here.
  • Thanks for bringing MIEX to our attention. I did my due diligence on it and was excited to buy it when I found that Schwab unfortunately doesn’t offer it. Starting to review SCIEX now instead. A bit more volatile but almost same performance over a 10 year period.
  • edited December 2021
    To followup on my 11/10 comment, I may actually dump MGGIX and go with BST instead, to rotate into some large cap tech+income (ie, adding more 'value' and less 'growth') versus a more growth/tech-oriented 'world stock' fund as the markets continue to tread water and churn going into 2022. Not 100% sure I'll make the move, but that's my current thinking ahead of annual distributions on Friday ... battening down the hatches a bit, so to speak.
  • @rforno: BST is not a fund I have ever considered. I did note that it has or will pay a big distribution this month and that since July it has traded at a deeper and deeper discount. The regular monthly distribution of some 22 cents per share suggests to me that the fund has a distribution policy in place to help reduce the discount. I have owned an equity CEF that did a similar thing and it turned to be a good way to purchase shares through reinvestment, turning it into an equity/income fund. BTW, I own MGGPX and will have to assess its role in the portfolio as you are doing.
  • As previously mentioned, I have MGGPX and MFAIX in some accounts. Few months ago added PRGSX. Have been generally happy with all but the first fund which has really had a poor year. Have recently considered moving more out of it to PRGSX etc.

Another fund on an old watchlist is FDIVX but I don’t hear it mentioned too much on the boards. BST as in Blackrock? That’s US equity and Science Tech.
  • @JonGaltill: right, BST is a BlackRock closed end science and tech fund, but it does have a global portfolio. Of its 3 managers, 1 also serves on BME, the Health Sciences CEF that has done well previously, although it has done little to merit its M* 5 star rating in recent years.
  • BenWP said:

@JonGaltill: right, BST is a BlackRock closed end science and tech fund, but it does have a global portfolio. Of its 3 managers, 1 also serves on BME, the Health Sciences CEF that has done well previously, although it has done little to merit its M* 5 star rating in recent years.

I own BME and it's been solid in my view. No concerns about that one ... not to go off-topic but I'm fairly impressed with how Blackrock allocates for their CEFs.
  • M* star-ratings are purely based on past performance in the category and are backward-looking. So, no judgements are required for 5* ratings for BST and BME. There are no forward-looking M* Analyst ratings for BST (Technology) or BME (Health).

Both M* Technology and Health categories are tiny.