Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q3 Market Performance

"It was a round trip for U.S. stock investors in the third quarter of 2021, with the broad market posting 19 new highs before falling back to end up where it had been three months earlier. Still, major stock markets around the globe are still up strongly over the past year, a contrast to some corners of the bond market where investors are facing losses."

Link

Comments

• My holdings for the third quarter were down somewhere between 1 & 2 %. I was wondering if any portfolios held by MFO's were on the green side ?
  • I am up by a tiny amount 0.5% or less.
  • edited October 2021
    @Derf, interesting question. My self managed portfolio was green, +.03%:) whoohoo. My Schwab Intelligent Portfolio was -.1% for the 3rd quarter. Pretty much a wash...

I think if I stop the urge to gamble on individual stocks I probably would do better. I enjoy playing but I'm just bad at it. I wish the government would change IRA/401k rules a little and allow us to bet on football in an IRA. I'd probably do better than stocks.
  • edited October 2021
    MikeM said:

I wish the government would change IRA/401k rules a little and allow us to bet on football in an IRA.

You can - sorta … DKNG (a bet on sports betting). At $49 this morning it’s about in the middle of its 100 day trading range which has had it between $40 and $60. I understand your reticence about individual stocks, however.

Third quarter? Don’t really track quarters. But, am sure I was negative. A modest exposure to OPGSX was the main reason, as gold did not perform well.

• Down around 1.5%, intl. growth the laggard, US funds better.
    Rick