Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• He made the announcement back in April as the market was getting fully priced. A year before in March he was buying aggressively when the market fell 30%.
    https://cnbc.com/video/2021/04/23/t-rowe-prices-david-giroux-we-are-underweight-equities.html
  • Awesome find. Thank you
  • FT cautions me not to copy & paste - so I say - note the last couple of paragraphs about a new
    TRP division called T Rowe Price Investment Management (TRPIM), scheduled to be live next year.
  • edited August 2021
    I swear, in the CNBC interview, at 1:28, he says he’s lowered his equity allocation “100-200 BIPS”. What is that? The FT article says from 70% equities down to mid 50s. So, there you go, a BIP is 0.1%. Give or take.
  • As of 6/30/21, PRWCX holds high % in utility (11%) and cash (10%). Still he managed to gain 13% YTD and leads the balanced fund category. The fund is well in position when the market corrects when the Fed starts to taper later this year.
    https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/77954M105?type=o-NavBar
  • edited August 2021
    Good stuff. Hard to believe Giroux has been running the fund for near 15 years. I have a modest weighting in PRWCX along with about the same amount in DODBX.

Read D&C’s semi-annual last evening. They have the fund invested 66% in equities. Their stocks overall have a much lower average PE than the S&P. In fact, they hold a 4% short position on the S&P which they see as overvalued. They like financials (which do well when interest rates are rising) but have sold some off recently. Also overweight energy.

Here’s a brief (possibly “suspect”) quotation: “The equity portfolio’s composition is very different from the overall market, and trades at a meaningful discount to both the broad-based market and value universe: 13.9 times forward earnings compared to 22.3 times for the S&P 500 and 17.9 times for the R1000V. Stocks that benefit from rising interest rates are currently trading at particularly low relative valuations, and represent an area of emphasis for the portfolio.”

LINK to June 30, 2021 Report /// DODBX

Apologies for any thread drift. Hard for me to view one fund without comparing it to the other, as both are integral to my approach.
  • Not to cast aspersions, and remember I also hold a large PRWCX position, but it's also worth remembering such OEF reports are, annoyingly, usually at least 2 months old by the time they come out.
  • edited August 2021
    rforno said:

OEF reports are, annoyingly, usually at least 2 months old by the time they come out.

Right. Seems to me D&C emailed me the link to the semi-annual within the past few days. But I could be wrong. Agree that the June 30 date on the D&C report is pretty old. Looks like the FT article is recent, bearing an August 25 date. Yet, when I look at the CNBC clip @Sven posted, it’s dated April 23. So, apparently, Giroux was already scaling back on equities and publicly stating that as far back as April.

Here’s Sven’s link again. https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/04/23/t-rowe-prices-david-giroux-we-are-underweight-equities.html
  • edited August 2021
    Unlike active managed And passively managed ETFs, open-ended mutual funds are required to report their holdings every 6 months in semi-annual and annual reports. The delay is necessary to avoid front-running the fund manager’s trading that may run up the stock prices. The business is cut throat. That is particularly true in thinly traded stocks in smaller cap funds.

Actually selling is harder on a timely basis. Sitting on large cash position is a drag on performance that may reflect poorly on the fund manager, especially in bull markets. Saw an interview with Giroux that he deployed his cash and bought many stocks, including GE during the height of COVID. Right now I cannot seem to located that footage. But it revealed TRP trading strategies - quick and deliberate.
  • edited August 2021
    Sounds about right @Sven. According to Investopedia they have up to 60 days after a quarter’s end to file their holdings with the SEC. If this is tantamount to a “public release”, than the near 2-month delay in D&C providing the semi-annual report to investors makes sense.

The current Barron’s contains an article “A fresh Batch of Active ETFs“ written by some guy named Lewis Braham. In it he mentions the issue of front-running when fund holdings are revealed too early. Different companies and managers have differing views. But TRP was singled out in particular as one house that likes to withhold such information as long as legally possible. I’d be willing to bet D&C is another.

Link to Barron’s Article (subscription required): https://www.barrons.com/articles/capital-groups-american-funds-is-finally-getting-into-etfs-51630089111

Note: The online article carries a different title from the print version which I read. Same content.

• Agree with previous comments regarding OEF holdings disclosures from TRP. There is not a lot of advantage for an individual investor to be gained from rather stale lists of stocks held. For ETFs, as @hank alludes to, the problem for the managers is tricky. ARK funds practically advertise their trades daily while Alger has two "semi-transparent" actively-managed ETFs, FRTY and ATFV. Disclosure of the Alger holdings is quarterly, I believe. I have been building a stake in FRTY because it's managed by proven winner Amy Zhang whose SCG and MCG OEFs are either closed or open to big machers only.
  • Quote from Barron,
    Fidelity and T. Rowe Price opted for semitransparent structures that don’t disclose all their holdings daily for ETF
    I read elsewhere where a manager described it is challenging to build a sizable positions without revealing what you are buying. Often it takes several months to buy say X millions shares of company Y increments without causing the price to spike upward.

BRKB is even less transparent until W. Buffet files them in their reports. An an individual investor, that is why you hire these fund managers to run your funds.
  • Just a comment that anyone paying attention/owning, PRWCX would have noticed a definite change had occurred at LEAST early in the year as PRWCX started to lag a little (compared to earlier). The fund seemingly became more defensive/less volatile than had been the case. I think Giroux was a little early, but was apparently pulling in the reins on 'risk' well before now. I suspect a lot of this aforementioned "cutting" was taking place long ago. If he IS cutting further, I'd be interested to know what is replacing the equity!
  • Just a comment that anyone paying attention/owning, PRWCX would have noticed a definite change had occurred at LEAST early in the year as PRWCX started to lag a little (compared to earlier). The fund seemingly became more defensive/less volatile than had been the case. I think Giroux was a little early, but was apparently pulling in the reins on 'risk' well before now. I suspect a lot of this aforementioned "cutting" was taking place long ago. If he IS cutting further, I'd be interested to know what is replacing the equity!

What's replacing the equity? Apparently, CASH. Over 10% cash in the portf. by now, per Morningstar. Looks like he thinks the Market is overpriced, and he's right. In the meantime, we shareholders lose out on the current batch of lofty, frothy heights being reached by this over-stretched market. Seems to me that my stuff's been range-bound all year--- except for PRIDX, VERY recently. But I will, nevertheless, stick with Giroux.

Bond divs coming on 31st August......
    Holdings: BRUFX PRWCX PRSNX RPSIX PRIDX PRDSX PTIAX ENIC.
  • The fund was over 70% in equities @June 30. So, it has not been underweight equities for very long, assuming the FT article is correct.
  • edited August 2021
    The link I provided above (Fidelity) showed 68% in equity as of 6/30/21, which is the typical range he runs the fund. Comparing to the composition of the portfolio to a year ago, there is more defensive positions (11% utility) and cash.
  • edited August 2021
    Here's a thought...you might want to access the TRP site (What? There is one? Who knew?) to get the latest published stock allocations as of 07/31/21 which was (if my addition is correct) 70.4%.

https://www.troweprice.com/personal-investing/tools/fund-research/PRWCX?src=USIFundRedirect&adobe_mc_sdid=SDID=7593B66782D33635-0C1AF59A7D98C5A2|MCORGID=D15D15F354F647770A4C98A4@AdobeOrg|TS=1630353056&adobe_mc_ref=https://www.google.com/#content-portfolio

And if you are a poster/investor questioning Giroux's allocation decisions, you might want to go play a round of golf and think that through a bit.
  • Golf is a good walk, spoiled.
  • edited August 2021
    The FT article (OP) is dated August 25. Here’s what it states:

“But Giroux has cut the fund’s equity exposure down from about 70 per cent at the market low of 2020 to the mid-50s per cent level now …”

Lipper, which is usually pretty accurate, still has it at 70%.
  • TRP website lists the top 10 end of month holdings around a week or so into the following month. Not sure why TRP has not listed the asset allocation for PRWCX on the website recently while most other TRP funds do?
  • edited August 2021
    Crash said:

Golf is a good walk, spoiled.

Having caddied from the ages of 9-16 and played since I could walk, I've caddied for, seen, and played with a LOT of golfers.

So I know there's a LOT of truth in your comment for a LOT of people who attempt to play the game (and those who sadly end up in their groups).

Don't even get me started on what Ladies Day at our club looked like circa late 60's/early 70's. Note however their outfit color coordination, down to the tees in their shoe strings, was impeccable.

Here's hoping you and the rest of those walk spoilers stay off the courses!
  • Giggle. No problem.:)
  • Vegomatic said:
    Excuse the delay - so in the CNBC interview he says he has cut equity investment about 2%. Basically, no change, he is only saying he’s not finding value in value. That’s what charts like this would indicate:
    https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?FPURX,VWENX,VBAIX,FPACX,DODBX,JABAX,JAGIX,OAKBX,PRWCX
  • Roy
    edited September 2021
    Here is the PRWCX portfolio as of 8/31/2021 from the TRP website.

Portfolio
    $52.23 billion
    Total Net Assets as of 8/31/2021
    Asset
    Allocation
    Domestic Stock
    68.90%
    Other
    28.00%
    Domestic Bond
    1.40%
    Foreign Stock
    0.90%
    Convertibles
    0.80%

Top 10 Holdings 8/31/2021

Microsoft
    6.90%
    Amazon.com
    5.70%
    GE
    4.43%
    Alphabet Class C
    3.29%
    Danaher
    3.24%
    Marsh & McLennan
    3.16%
    PNC Financial Services Group
    3.12%
    Yum! Brands
    3.07%
    UnitedHealth Group
    3.02%
    Thermo Fisher Scientific
    2.78%
  • edited September 2021
    According to M*, the fund has 10% cash, 11% utility. Quite defensive. He is in good position when the market pulls back.
    https://morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prwcx/portfolio
  • edited September 2021
    So, its equity allocation is max for its category. It can always dial down risk by other means if it chooses to do so.
  • Some of those top holdings are just the companies I love to hate. Crap. But I can't pull out now.
  • edited September 2021
    Crash said:

Some of those top holdings are just the companies I love to hate. Crap. But I can't pull out now.

“… for those … who might be wondering, if you put a dollar into the S&P, 41 cents goes toward Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Facebook, with 59 cents going into the other 495 names.”

Bill Fleckenstein - “Market Rap” (paid subscription) 9/14/21
  • hank said:

Crash said:

Some of those top holdings are just the companies I love to hate. Crap. But I can't pull out now.

“… for those … who might be wondering, if you put a dollar into the S&P, 41 cents goes toward Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Facebook, with 59 cents going into the other 495 names.”

Bill Fleckenstein - “Market Rap” (paid subscription) 9/14/21
    Exactly why I hate market-cap weightings in funds and indices!!

No fund I own holds 100% stuff I agree with, but I am more than comfortable with Giroux's team and PRWCX's investing style to rest easy while sitting on a large slug of it.