Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Industrial Cellular Meat...It's what's for dinner!

OK we have arrived...
An Israeli startup wants to replace chicken coops, barns and slaughterhouses with bioreactors to churn out cell-based meat for American diners.
I'll have mine medium rear:
https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-23/meat-grown-in-bioreactors-is-coming-to-american-diners-next-year?srnd=premium

Comments

• Thank you, bee.

I'm waiting for the Replicator, a la Star Trek.
  • Not sure if lab-grown plant protein is less energy intensive than growing soybean in the field. Beyond Meat is made from various plant protein plus iron-containing protein, i.e. blood extract. The blood extract is what make these burger taste like real “meat”.

• I have to say, the Beyond Meat sausage replacement they serve at Dunkins' isn't half-bad. Clearly it isn't 100% equivalent to sausage, but it's a decent replacement that to my surprise doesn't taste too bad.

That said, fake Italian Sausage from Beyond is repulsive to these Italian taste buds. For that, it's pork or nothing!
  • From what I understand is that the added heme protein provides the desirable taste as meat imitation. Animal blood from slaughter house are not waste by-product. Instead they are used in many process food including pet food. Blood sausage is widely available and they taste okay.

Growing animal protein in lab and scale-up for commercialization is much more ambitious.
  • catch22 said:

Thank you, bee.

Or, we could just start breeding tribbles to eat. Oops, bad idea. ;)
  • Crash said:

catch22 said:

Thank you, bee.

Or, we could just start breeding tribbles to eat. Oops, bad idea. ;)
    I prefer pit-BBQ'd Ewoks myself....