Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Weird Day !

Markets down across the board , but Chuck shows me up .03 % How did your accounts turn out ?
6/15/21, Derf

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Hi Derf. Wasn’t paying much attention. Mine overall is about “as flat as flat can be” for the day. While oil rose (on fumes I think) and energy held up well, a lot of commodities and gold got whacked pretty good. My mining fund fell 2%. So, that divergence alone, served to “muddle” the score card for different investments today. Bonds seemed to go nowhere. (Shorter duration gained a bit.) Utilities rose for at least the third day. Tech was down. Real estate down. I think the 10-year rate year ticked up just a hair. No real pattern. Lots off “Yack Yack” about tomorrow’s Fed statement. Look for them to punt - but to do so decisively.

What caught my fancy today was the story on DraftsKing. If ever there was a stock I’d want to own based on personal experience, that would be it. Thoroughly enjoyed wagering on B-Ball last winter and think DK has the best site around - plus good customer support. And, wisely or not, more and more states are legalizing online gambling on sports. Trend will continue.

But … criminal $$ involved in gambling? Heaven forbid! It’s an interesting story and you wonder if it’s just a case of a short seller “shooting em in the back” - or if there’s some truth in the story.

STORY
  • A value growth split day.
  • 15th June, '21: down -0.03%. Only PRWCX was up.
  • edited June 2021
    Not to be too picky, but ISTM anything less than a .25% daily move (up or down) is pretty insignificant. A matter of which way the wind blows. I tried to find some type of chart online displaying a hierarchy of daily investment change. But (perhaps understandably) nobody’s bothered to publish one.

Maybe …

Hierarchy of Daily Portfolio Loss

0% - .09% essentially unchanged

.10% - 24% slight

.25% - .49% minor

.50% - .99% moderate

1% - 1.49% significant

1.5% - 1.99% large

2% - 2.99% very large

3% - 4.99% serious

More than 5% - Lord help me