Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's happening with AOFAX?

In the last ten days it has lost about 14%. My other small cap funds are down less than 1%. Anyone read anything anywhere?

Comments

• BCSIX is down 13.1% for the past month, just a shade better than AOFAX. DVSMX, a small growth fund I own, is down 10+% for the same period.
  • Compare:
    PRDSX 3 mo -6.95%
    1 mo. -4.46
    1 week. -3.77
    YTD +1.53
  • Compare: 5 years from 05-13-2016 to 05-13-2021
    PRDSX: 111%
    BCSIX: 140%
    DVSMX: 190%
    AOFAX: 190%

Relax.......
  • 2021 appears to be a year where two (long-awaited) great rotations/events have occurred: growth-to-value, and rising interest rates.
  • This fund is one of the growthiest growth funds with a P/E over 60, so watch out.
  • edited May 2021
    @billr et al: Alger makes it tough to get into its mutual funds, especially the small and mid cap focus strategies managed by Amy Zhang. She helped make BCSIX a success before decamping for Alger in 2015. Just this year Alger opened an opaque (my editorial comment) MCG ETF managed by Ms Zhang. FRTY does not have much of a track record yet but it appears to have shot up out of the gate and then returned to earth like AOFAX. This month Alger announced a large cap ETF that will have 35 positions, but not a Zhang product. From what I garner on the website, the list of holdings is not revealed daily. Detailed holdings are provided as of 4/30/21, so one eventually gets to look under the hood. Active management by a proven growth manager in an easily traded format. Alger warns that the market price may not accurately reflect the value of the assets held on a given day. @fundfun: FRTY reports a P/E of around 38.
  • Thanks for the info and comparisons. It is one of my smaller holdings and I guess it will remain that way.