Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks Are Off to Best Start to a Presidential Term Since Great Depression - WSJ

edited April 2021 in Other Investing
“The stock market closed out President Biden’s first 100 days in office on Thursday with its best start to a presidential term since the days of Franklin D. Roosevelt. The S&P 500 has risen 11% since Mr. Biden’s Jan. 20 inauguration. The index recorded its strongest performance since the start of Mr. Roosevelt’s first term in 1933, when it surged 80% after a spectacular crash in the Great Depression, according to a Dow Jones Market Data analysis. By comparison, the S&P 500 rose 5.3% in the first 100 days of President Donald Trump’s term in early 2017 and on average has gained 3.2% over that period in presidential terms since Herbert Hoover’s in 1929.”

Comments

• No complaining here. In addition to Biden, we should also be thankful to have Janet Yellen as the Secretary of Treasury.
  • edited May 2021
    +1. And Jerome Powell as well... I'd expect them to work very closely and well with each other.
  • That is for sure.
  • Wait a minute. Trump said the markets would crash — the biggest ever — if Biden was elected. The rising markets must be more fake news.
  • Morning Class,

Biden, Yellen, Powell...ya'll think these clowns have it under control? You have got to be kidding me...turning this country into a Banana Republic...bankrupting our future generations, debasing our currency, creating inequality up the ying yang, the "rich", meaning kooky Bernie Sanders and kooky Liz Warren get wealthier and wealthier while they "fog" and rail against "billionaires" to purposely obfuscate the real issues, meaning our number one export in the USA is and has been sending real jobs overseas, that is what causes all these issues, not whether we should pay a burger flipper $15/hr.

@Tarwheel, respect your comments re the Trumpster (what a crazy mofo, huh?) but this all reminds me of the turn of the ceturury when the 20 something year olds were driving 911's, riding limo's smoking cigars in back...it all came crashing down.

These clowns are going to put us thru an inflationary cycle which will make the 70's and 80's look like a day on the beach in LaJolla...

Good Luck and Good Health to all regardless of your political views,

Baseball Fan
  • Jerome Powel is Trump's hand picked Fed Chair, one of Trump's "top of the line professionals".

Nevertheless, Trump agreed with you that Powell was "foolish" and "crazy" However, Trump came to that conclusion when Powell raised interest rates. Trump felt rates should be lowered. That's just what Powell is doing now.

Moving past the ad hominem remark, we get to Banana Republic, surely not the clothing store:-)
    Over the past century, “banana republic” has evolved to mean any country (with or without bananas) that has a ruthless, corrupt, or just plain loopy leader who relies on the military and destroys state institutions in an egomaniacal quest for prolonged power. ...
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/is-america-becoming-a-banana-republic

Rather than a banana republic, perhaps what you had in mind was the Weimar Republic?
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/shared/minitext/ess_germanhyperinflation.html

At any time one can find conspicuous consumption in all age groups. That said, an objective account would show that Porsche was and remains a brand for males going through midlife crises.

From Fortune, January 1995:
    The demographics of the Porsche owner are utterly predictable: a 40-something male college graduate earning over $200,000 per year.
    https://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1995/01/16/201811/

Plus ça change
    :
    The demographic of the Porsche owner, includes a college graduate, household income over $100,000, 85% male, and 15% female. The typical Porsche owner is 40 years old and up ...

The age demographic rose from an average age of 48 in 2007 to an average age of 51 in 2012.
    https://www.stephenzoeller.com/targetmarket-segment-porsche/

FWIW, what I saw in Silicon Valley at the turn of the century were stock rich entrepreneurs driving Bimmers, not Porsches. (Well, Larry Ellison drove a Testarossa.) Me, I was zipping down I-280 at 100+MPH in my MR2. 80% of the fun for 30% of the price (see 80/20 rule). Value investing.