Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Who Knew the NCAA had an official ETF?

Really? Guess they've got to find sponsors anywhere they can.

Comments

• That's just silly. On the other hand: can you say, "GONZAGA?!"
  • edited March 2021
    I never really understood marketing. "The official PRODUCT$ of the LEAGUE$/TEAM$" ... do they think people are going to rush on out to buy something thinking the LEAGUE/TEAM is endorsing the product? Or is it just for branding purposes to get the product's name out there in front of people?

Some of these 'endorsements' or product 'partnerships' are just crazy.

What's next? "CBOE, official options provider of the NFL?" OMG MY OPTIONS WERE BOUGHT/SOLD ON THE AMEX, I'M SO DISAPPOINTED! lol
  • edited March 2021
    I recall reading somewhere (sorry, can't find link) that the trust agreement of QQQ (the official ETF of the NCAA that is being discussed) includes a requirement that the Trust/QQQ spends at least a specified percentage of its income on marketing expenses.

Don't believe that any other ETF has this requirement, but suspect that this explains - in part - why the QQQ ETF is spending its money this way.
  • Marketing: Convincing you that you absolutely must own a thing you've never needed before. And "targeted ads" are de rigueur these days. Unethical. But perfectly legal.
  • Crash said:

Can you say, "GONZAGA?!"

Sure 'nuff. Zags and Baylor in the final would be outstanding.
  • edited March 2021
    @Crash: But after last night, I'm pulling for the Corvallis Beavs. What a season they've had.
  • AndyJ said:

Crash said:

Can you say, "GONZAGA?!"

I put that ticker in at Schwab to research it but it didn't show me anything. :)
  • edited March 2021
    <
    Crash said:

Can you say, "GONZAGA?!"

I put that ticker in at Schwab to research it but it didn't show me anything. :)

Ha! Schwab must not double as a bookie. I hear G's backcourt CEO has a trailing P/G of 19.

• AndyJ said:

<

Crash said:

Can you say, "GONZAGA?!"

Ha! Schwab must not double as a bookie. I hear G's backcourt CEO has a trailing P/G of 19.

Giggle!