Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I am losing my patience with TBGVX ?

2»

Comments

• Thanks all for this discussion! I hold IVIQX in this space and it has been even more disappointing than TBGVX. After reading the commentary, I am going to give them a little more time but I also am thinking about adding some more foreign, going from 5% to 10%. My preliminary look points me toward adding a Fidelity fund or an iShares ETF from the LB category.

FYI - this topic was also discussed, more generally, back in August : https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/130072/#Comment_130072</

a>
  • Just my two cents, but I doubt most of these int'l value funds will ever beat the S&P over the long run. Corporate culture is different here in the US; more greed, leading to more production, profits. Think Pfizer, Apple, Amazon, etc.
  • Starchild said:

Just my two cents, but I doubt most of these int'l value funds will ever beat the S&P over the long run. Corporate culture is different here in the US; more greed, leading to more production, profits. Think Pfizer, Apple, Amazon, etc.

Those words are truer than you might know! Gordon Gecko: "Greed is good." Yes, these days, it's not easy to see VALUE, domestic or foreign, having another "day in the sun" anytime soon. But as for international GROWTH: I'm interested to see the extent of any positive jump in Europe and the UK bourses, in response--- finally--- to a Brexit deal. Even though, as I read in Al Jazeera: four-fifths of UK GDP is in the financial sector. And the "deal" includes absolutely zero content about financials. So, free and easy access to the continent's financial sector will END for the UK on January 1st. So, as I'm fond of stating here: "ORK!" What sort of "deal" is THAT????? Politicians just lying to us all again. What a f*****g surprise, eh?
  • edited December 2020
    I'm not sure growth has more "greed" in it than value. The value sleeve of most indexes is full of oil stocks, banks and brick and mortar retailers while the growth is full of tech and healthcare. All of those sectors' executives have been equally greedy in my experience. A fairer question is whether foreign stocks can beat U.S. ones. That has been a subject of debate for a long time. The other wildcard factor here is currency, although in TBGVX's case they hedge the foreign currency exposure. Many other foreign funds do not. There is a case to be made for having foreign currency exposure now as there is evidence that the Fed and other government agencies want a cheaper dollar to make U.S. goods more attractive to foreign consumers. There is also a question as to whether borders even matter anymore when it comes to global capitalism. I'm not sure Coca-Cola for instance is really a U.S. stock anymore as it has such a footprint in other nations. So why limit oneself to companies that are just officially domiciled in the U.S.?
  • edited December 2020
    Crash said:

Even though, as I read in Al Jazeera: four-fifths of UK GDP is in the financial sector. And the "deal" includes absolutely zero content about financials. So, free and easy access to the continent's financial sector will END for the UK on January 1st. So, as I'm fond of stating here: "ORK!" What sort of "deal" is THAT????? Politicians just lying to us all again. What a f*****g surprise, eh?

I just looked at this WSJ article But it’s far from clear. It states:” This will provide many U.K. service suppliers with legal guarantees that they will not face barriers to trade when selling into the EU and will support the mobility of U.K. professionals who will continue to do business across the EU," according to the document.“
    The article ends with: “EU Officials are watching the U.K. closely for signals that their former partner will become too much of a competitor....[currently(?)] More than 90% of euro-denominated interest-rate derivatives and 84% of foreign-exchange trading in the EU take place in the U.K., according to New Financial.”