Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump tossed Kemp under a bus, plain and simple.

Perhaps he has been reading the polls....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1253120597812555776

Comments

• Howdy folks,

And . . .

Here's a good article from the Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2020/04/covid-19-george-packer-america/610303/

And so it goes

Peace and Flatten the Curve

Rono
  • edited April 2020
    davfor said:

Perhaps he has been reading the polls....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1253120597812555776

You mean Trump told what he really thinks and that's a problem?
    I live in GA and Kemp is wrong. I'm definitely not going to my local gym.

• "he really thinks" ?
  • msf said:

"he really thinks" ?

Yep, and you will have him another 4 years, get used to it.

• Here are some of the results of a nationwide poll conducted between April 16 and April 20:

apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Is-America-Ready-to-Re-Open-.aspx

Here is another discussion of the poll results:

https://apnews.com/9ed271ca13012d3b77a2b631c1979ce1

• It's people like you, FD, that just don't get the negative effect that Trump instigates with his "social media" fake news. Trumps intent is to sway and confuse the Georgia population to fit his unscientific and statistically inaccurate "opinions". This guy is causing so much harm to this crisis response. I find it pathetic. Governors, state by state, seem to be using expert opinion to protect their people. Well, many are anyway. Some are afraid to buck the tyrant.

This isn't about opinion. It's manipulation and that is what is wrong. Don't you get it?
  • I think that Trump's fake news statements about Covid, Hydroxychloroquine and all the rest are close to criminal and have killed people, and he and his administration are responsible for the inept and negligent US response to the virus, but I do not see any reason to turn these boards into a political war.

There are plenty of places you can go to do that, if you have the stomach for it. I have stopped reading comments in the WSJ because they are all full of vitriol, slander and statements which are harmful and would never be uttered to someone face to face.

I have good friends (Ivy League educated physicians ) and relatives who are vehement Trumpites. For the sake of our relationship I don't discuss this with them.

Can we please stick to discussing investments, economic news and facts not politics?

Thank you
  • >> good friends (Ivy League educated physicians )

how do they think he is handling things?
  • edited April 2020
    I'm thinking ... Georgia's Governor Kemp tossed himself under the bus. Even though he may open the State ... Every business rules their own business. Perhaps, rural Georgia can reopen ... but, Atlanta and the surrounding area ... get real. I use to live in Vinings, and I frequented the Marietta Area often. Opening ... Downtown Atlanta is a joke. Go to the Varsity Grill ... get one of their famous Dog & Fries Combo ... and, as a bonus, receive a Covid 19 burger just for visiting.
  • @davidrmoran

They think he is doing great. "only had 36 months to prepare for this"
  • edited April 2020
    Worse. The preparations had been put in place. He trashed them as unnecessary.
  • edited April 2020
    Great piece about Trump/Fox -- you are what you eat, a product of your environment etc... etc..

(just watch video or read article)
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/20/john-oliver-coronavirus-fox-trump-misinformation
  • Sooner or later, Trump will throw everyone under the bus
  • I thought I read Pence and Trump called the GA gov and said go for it...then about 2-3 hrs later I read he's against it. CYA That's the problem with this admin... no idea if anything they say is true which is exactly like I think he wants it.
  • royal4 said:

Great piece about Trump/Fox -- you are what you eat, a product of your environment etc... etc..

(just watch video or read article)
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/20/john-oliver-coronavirus-fox-trump-misinformation

Oliver: "...But the only way that happens is if we have trusted, well-informed leadership – which, unfortunately, we don’t.”
  • edited April 2020
    @sma3 Ya, I understand. Good point. But as long as these kinds of discussions fall under the "off-topic" umbrella, I am loathe to see censorship here.
  • MikeM said:

It's people like you, FD, that just don't get the negative effect that Trump instigates with his "social media" fake news. Trumps intent is to sway and confuse the Georgia population to fit his unscientific and statistically inaccurate "opinions". This guy is causing so much harm to this crisis response. I find it pathetic. Governors, state by state, seem to be using expert opinion to protect their people. Well, many are anyway. Some are afraid to buck the tyrant.

This isn't about opinion. It's manipulation and that is what is wrong. Don't you get it?

...Apparently he does NOT.
    I know a retired eye doctor. Originally from Thailand. When he found out his wife voted for Clinton, not Trump, their home together was no fun for a couple of weeks. With me, Ethics is a very big deal. And the Orange Fart in the WH simply has none. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

A Bob Dylan verse comes to mind, from "License To Kill:"
    Now he worships
    at an altar
    by a stagnant pool
    And when he sees his reflection
    he's fulfilled
    Ya, Man is opposed to fair play
    He wants it all, he wants it his way.
    But there's a woman
    On my block
    And she just sits there
    As the night grows chill;
    And she says: "who's gonna take away
    his license to kill?"

That comes close to describing the failed wreck of a human called Donald Trump.